Turbo Tyre Shredding!!!

John-L

Apr 28, 2006
Hi All,

Iv been given an old fluid type Turbo Trainer by a friend, its called something like Minurva Bravo?? Not to sure??

Works great, only problem is that after just two hours use it has totally taken all the tread off my winter road tyre which is a Vittoria tyre.

I have noticed that the roller where the tyre contacts is grooved I presume for grip, but I note that all the new type trainers have a smooth roller?

I have just purchased a set of Continental Gatorskin tyres for this bike but I don't want to trash them after just a couple of hours on the turbo!!

Any ideas??

Thanks guys and galls,.

John.

I have a tacx trainer (new) and have no problems. But you have to use a tyre designed for trainers, any road tyre melts quickly from all the friction.

I run a really cheap old school 700c tyre on a spare wheel for my trainer. That way i dont damage my good tyres. Continental also make a "Trainer" specific tyre so that might also help.

trainers are very hard on tires due to the high friction. My old Minoura Mag trainer has a black stripe running down the middle from the melted rubber. Use an inexpensive tire for trainer use. You will have to replace every so often depending on use, but better a cheap tire than an expensive one.