Turning pro after 30 & my accident

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by John Lieswyn, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. John Lieswyn

    John Lieswyn Guest

    Kent Bostick told me that he didn't start getting good until 33 or so. Some people bloom late. I'm
    34 and I feel in the best shape of my life, despite January's setbacks. I got plowed from behind
    100m from the finish line in Brazil Jan 6th. Just when I felt recovered from that, some invincible
    young woman in a Jeep 4x4 thought that her vehicle could go normal speed in a snowstorm and plowed
    into my Saab at over 30mph, (I was waiting for the red light to change) totalling my car and giving
    me serious whiplash, concussion, headaches. Although I have been training at least 90min a day I
    haven't been able to up the intensity or even come close to staying on Adam Myerson's training plan,
    because when I do go hard the headache gets pretty fierce. Thankfully it's now subsiding, and I'm
    hoping to be able to get back on schedule next week.

    Tags:

  2. Dude,

    This shit doesn't fool me. This is really Myerson trying to spiff himself.

    Dude

    "John Lieswyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:4g%[email protected]...
    > Kent Bostick told me that he didn't start getting good until 33 or so.
    Some
    > people bloom late. I'm 34 and I feel in the best shape of my life,
    despite
    > January's setbacks. I got plowed from behind 100m from the finish line in Brazil Jan 6th. Just
    > when I felt recovered from that, some invincible
    young
    > woman in a Jeep 4x4 thought that her vehicle could go normal speed in a snowstorm and plowed into
    > my Saab at over 30mph, (I was waiting for the
    red
    > light to change) totalling my car and giving me serious whiplash, concussion, headaches. Although
    > I have been training at least 90min a day
    > haven't been able to up the intensity or even come close to staying on
    Adam
    > Myerson's training plan, because when I do go hard the headache gets
    pretty
    > fierce. Thankfully it's now subsiding, and I'm hoping to be able to get back on schedule
    > next week.

  3. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    John Lieswyn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Kent Bostick told me that he didn't start getting good until 33 or so. Some people bloom late. I'm
    > 34 and I feel in the best shape of my life, despite

    OK, I know you got it from the horse's mouth. But I have to point out that Kent first cracked
    the top ten at Nationals in 1977 at the tender age of 23, something he repeated the following
    year. After that he disappears for awhile. But he picked up TWO stars 'n' stripes jerseys (TT,
    TTT) in 1985 at
    31. If I had to hazard a guess as to what was going on in the intervening years it would be that he
    was simply busy with something else like school. But that'd just be a guess.

    And as for YOU, that musty old stars 'n' stripes jersey in YOUR closet dates from 1991, when you
    were but a sprite, does it not?

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  4. Bbc3

    Bbc3 Guest

    "John Lieswyn" wrote:
    > Kent Bostick told me that he didn't start getting good until 33 or so.
    Some
    > people bloom late. I'm 34 and I feel in the best shape of my life,
    despite
    > January's setbacks.

    Joke or not. The only fool is the already-dead poor bastard who does not follow his dreams. Wanna
    turn pro at 30 plus years of age? Only those who are truly willing to fail often and in grand style
    will ever win big. Screw what the naysayers have to say cause they are the little people with little
    dreams. Turn up the volume and live it up!

    --
    Bill

  5. Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > John Lieswyn <[email protected]i.com> wrote:
    > > Kent Bostick told me that he didn't start getting good until 33 or so. Some people bloom late.
    > > I'm 34 and I feel in the best shape of my life, despite
    >
    > OK, I know you got it from the horse's mouth. But I have to point out that Kent first cracked the
    > top ten at Nationals in 1977 at the tender age of 23, something he repeated the following year.

    Oh, Yeah.... 1978.....Milwaukee Road Front Nationals, let's talk about Bostick "repeating the
    top ten". When he went to his car during the race and replaced his own chain. Some abuse of the
    'free lap' rule. His fourth place is a tainted one.

    Thanks, Ronde Chumpion

    > Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  6. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    ronde chumpion <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> OK, I know you got it from the horse's mouth. But I have to point out that Kent first cracked the
    >> top ten at Nationals in 1977 at the tender age of 23, something he repeated the following year.

    > Oh, Yeah.... 1978.....Milwaukee Road Front Nationals, let's talk about Bostick "repeating the
    > top ten". When he went to his car during the race and replaced his own chain. Some abuse of
    > the 'free lap' rule. His fourth place is a tainted one.

    http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/ten_years/us_road.html#1978

    Fourth place in the 1978 road race was Wayne Stetina.

    http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/ten_years/us_tt.html#1978

    Bostick took 7th in the TT.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  7. Les Earnest

    Les Earnest Guest

    ronde chumpion <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Oh, Yeah.... 1978.....Milwaukee Road Front Nationals, let's talk about Bostick "repeating
    > > the top ten". When he went to his car during the race and replaced his own chain. Some abuse
    > > of the 'free lap' rule. His fourth place is a tainted one.

    Bob Schwartz responds:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/ten_years/us_road.html#1978
    >
    > Fourth place in the 1978 road race was Wayne Stetina.

    My recollection is that Bostic sat out a lap or two undetected, then took a podium position at the
    finish (perhaps second) and was awarded a medal. He was later disqualified after it was learned what
    he had done. As I recall he also earned a short suspension for that stunt.

    For comparison, in the junior road race championship that year Chris Springer, who was a five time
    national champion in junior events, was disqualified at the starting line and later that day was
    suspended for a year for throwing a firecracker out of a dormitory window. Never mind that this
    alleged incident never happened and that if it had happened it had nothing to do with bike racing.
    That incident got me started in USCF politics.

    -Les Earnest

  8. Deeznuts

    Deeznuts Guest

    "BBC3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<kW0%[email protected]>...
    > "John Lieswyn" wrote:
    > > Kent Bostick told me that he didn't start getting good until 33 or so.
    > Some
    > > people bloom late. I'm 34 and I feel in the best shape of my life,
    > despite
    > > January's setbacks.
    >
    > Joke or not. The only fool is the already-dead poor bastard who does not follow his dreams. Wanna
    > turn pro at 30 plus years of age? Only those who are truly willing to fail often and in grand
    > style will ever win big. Screw what the naysayers have to say cause they are the little people
    > with little dreams. Turn up the volume and live it up!

    Dude,

    What the fuck are you talking about?

    Deez "Turn up the volume and live it up!" nuts

  9. "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > OK, I know you got it from the horse's mouth. But I have to point out that Kent first cracked
    > the top ten at Nationals in 1977 at the tender age of 23, something he repeated the following
    > year. After that he disappears for awhile. But he picked up TWO stars 'n' stripes jerseys (TT,
    > TTT) in 1985 at
    > 31.

    1985 Road Natz were extremely lacking in quality riders. Ten Speed Drive placed 1-2-3-5 in the
    ITT riding funny bikes with rear discs (equipment hardly anyone else had). Wayne Stetina won the
    road race.

    IIRC natz was run at the same time as the Coors Classic which drew away the top talent.

  10. "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > OK, I know you got it from the horse's mouth. But I have to point out that Kent first cracked the
    > top ten at Nationals in 1977 at the tender age of 23

    Now with respect to Kent for the fact that he's not the one here bragging (but he probably would be
    if he was here), but a 58:16 isn't exactly smoking fast, especially when he got beat by a minute by
    some punk junior.

  11. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>
    >> OK, I know you got it from the horse's mouth. But I have to point out that Kent first cracked the
    >> top ten at Nationals in 1977 at the tender age of 23

    > Now with respect to Kent for the fact that he's not the one here bragging (but he probably would
    > be if he was here), but a 58:16 isn't exactly smoking fast, especially when he got beat by a
    > minute by some punk junior.

    Who knows what the conditions were? I may be a geezerhead but I was in high school then. But that
    punk junior won the TT in his first year as a senior so he was certainly already one of the best.

  12. "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Now with respect to Kent for the fact that he's not the one here
    bragging
    > > (but he probably would be if he was here), but a 58:16 isn't exactly
    smoking
    > > fast, especially when he got beat by a minute by some punk junior.
    >
    > Who knows what the conditions were? I may be a geezerhead but I was in high school then. But that
    > punk junior won the TT in his first year as a senior so he was certainly already one of the best.

    The times don't show any category disproportionately faster or slower than what would reasonably be
    expected, even though Bostick would have ended up 3rd in the Juniors.

    I don't troll very often, but calling Andy Weaver a "punk junior" should have been a dead giveaway.
    Ian Jones was a very good rider, too.

  13. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The times don't show any category disproportionately faster or slower than what would reasonably
    > be expected, even though Bostick would have ended up 3rd in the Juniors.
    >
    > I don't troll very often, but calling Andy Weaver a "punk junior" should have been a dead
    > giveaway. Ian Jones was a very good rider, too.

    When I started racing those two were the ones to beat in the junior events. Add in Steve Pyle, who
    like Ian Jones was from my state of CT.

    Bonus trivia: What now defunct bicycle brand sponsored the team those three rode for? Hint: Lee
    Iacocca knows.

    -WG

  14. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:040220031735182519%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > The times don't show any category disproportionately faster or slower
    than
    > > what would reasonably be expected, even though Bostick would have ended
    up
    > > 3rd in the Juniors.
    > >
    > > I don't troll very often, but calling Andy Weaver a "punk junior" should have been a dead
    > > giveaway. Ian Jones was a very good rider, too.
    >
    > When I started racing those two were the ones to beat in the junior events. Add in Steve Pyle, who
    > like Ian Jones was from my state of CT.
    >
    > Bonus trivia: What now defunct bicycle brand sponsored the team those three rode for? Hint: Lee
    > Iacocca knows.

    Austro-Daimler.

    Andy Coggan

  15. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Huh? The Stetina brothers were both in the top four and Davis Phinney was 7th and Doug Shapiro was
    8th! I wonder what you called quality riders then!

    > "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > OK, I know you got it from the horse's mouth. But I have to point out that Kent first cracked
    > > the top ten at Nationals in 1977 at the tender age of 23, something he repeated the following
    > > year. After that he disappears for awhile. But he picked up TWO stars 'n' stripes jerseys (TT,
    > > TTT) in 1985 at
    > > 31.
    >
    > 1985 Road Natz were extremely lacking in quality riders. Ten Speed
    Drive
    > placed 1-2-3-5 in the ITT riding funny bikes with rear discs
    (equipment
    > hardly anyone else had). Wayne Stetina won the road race.
    >
    > IIRC natz was run at the same time as the Coors Classic which drew
    away the
    > top talent.

  16. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Carl, I was racing motorcycles at the time but I've heard several people say that the best
    American bicycle racer they ever saw (and they've seen LeMond and Armstrong) was Wayne Stetina.
    What do you think?

    > "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > OK, I know you got it from the horse's mouth. But I have to point out that Kent first cracked
    > > the top ten at Nationals in 1977 at the tender age of 23
    >
    > Now with respect to Kent for the fact that he's not the one here
    bragging
    > (but he probably would be if he was here), but a 58:16 isn't exactly
    smoking
    > fast, especially when he got beat by a minute by some punk junior.

  17. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Tom Kunich
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Carl, I was racing motorcycles at the time but I've heard several people say that the best
    > American bicycle racer they ever saw (and they've seen LeMond and Armstrong) was Wayne Stetina.
    > What do you think?

    No way was Wayne Stetina, a mere American pro who couldn't win much of anything in Europe at the
    time, in the same league as GL and LA. Even John Howard had better results than the Stetinas. Back
    then the Americans were considered a joke in the European peloton at events like the Worlds. George
    Mount got a 5th at the Montreal Olympics and that was really the first time an American (male) did
    anything noteworthy against the Euro pros on the road. Then Jonathan Boyer's 9th in the Tour, Mike
    Neel's 10th in the World RR, then Greg LeMond and the 7-11 team winning a stage in the Giro...

    It is nice to see that some of the Stetina brothers are still involved in cycling.

    -WG

  18. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <7%_%[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:040220031735182519%[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > > The times don't show any category disproportionately faster or slower
    > than
    > > > what would reasonably be expected, even though Bostick would have ended
    > up
    > > > 3rd in the Juniors.
    > > >
    > > > I don't troll very often, but calling Andy Weaver a "punk junior" should have been a dead
    > > > giveaway. Ian Jones was a very good rider, too.
    > >
    > > When I started racing those two were the ones to beat in the junior events. Add in Steve Pyle,
    > > who like Ian Jones was from my state of CT.
    > >
    > > Bonus trivia: What now defunct bicycle brand sponsored the team those three rode for? Hint: Lee
    > > Iacocca knows.
    >
    > Austro-Daimler.
    >
    > Andy Coggan

    Too easy for an old guy!

  19. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Huh? The Stetina brothers were both in the top four and Davis Phinney was 7th and Doug Shapiro was
    > 8th! I wonder what you called quality riders then!
    >
    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > 1985 Road Natz were extremely lacking in quality riders. Ten Speed
    > Drive
    > > placed 1-2-3-5 in the ITT riding funny bikes with rear discs
    > (equipment
    > > hardly anyone else had). Wayne Stetina won the road race.

    Wrong year, Tom. I was referring to 1985 as you can see above.

  20. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Carl, I was racing motorcycles at the time but I've heard several people say that the best
    > American bicycle racer they ever saw (and they've seen LeMond and Armstrong) was Wayne Stetina.
    > What do you think?

    Wayne was good. I think Dale was better. I don't think either of them would have been in the same
    league as Lemond or Armstrong, though.

    In 1985 (the year I was referring to), Wayne was past his prime and probably working for Shimano
    already. He made the most of a good opportunity on a course that doesn't have much climbing. In his
    prime or not, he beat everyone else who was there.