Turning pro after 30 & my accident

> news:p[email protected]...
> > Carl, I was racing motorcycles at the time but I've heard several people say that the best
> > American bicycle racer they ever saw (and they've seen LeMond and Armstrong) was Wayne Stetina.
> > What do you think?
> >

> Wayne was good. I think Dale was better. I don't think either of them
would
> have been in the same league as Lemond or Armstrong, though.

In one of the road races at the 1980 Olympic Trials, Lemond bridged a several minute gap to a
breakaway containing, among other and IIRC, Andy Weaver and Dale Stetina (again IIRC, Wayne was
still back in the field). He then dropped his breakaway companions, and soloed the rest of the way
for the win. All this in the final 10-12 miles...

Wayne better than Lemond? No way...hell, I even finished ahead of Wayne in a race or two.

Andy Coggan

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:040220032207406402%[email protected]...
> In article <7%_%[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > Bonus trivia: What now defunct bicycle brand sponsored the team those three rode for? Hint:
> > > Lee Iacocca knows.
> >
> > Austro-Daimler.
> >
> > Andy Coggan
>
> Too easy for an old guy!

Especially since I had a friend (Mike Zoeller) who rode for A-D as well. (Also once has a 70 mile
solo break nullified by Tom Doughty, who chased me down in his A-D kit.)

Andy Coggan

warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<040220032215304651%

> George Mount got a 5th at the Montreal Olympics and that was really the first time an American
> (male) did anything noteworthy against the Euro pros on the road.

If this was the '76 Olympics...those weren't pros.