Type of bike recomendation

Packerbacker

Jun 14, 2011
Hello everyone. My ? isnt so much about what brand of bike to buy but more over what type. I live in the country in WI have some decent hills lots of farm land and old beat up roads that will jar a dentist's fillings loose. My style of riding is casual, I love the hills if my muscles arent burning then Im not peddling hard enuff and the hill is going downward not up. Im not out for speed but on my mt bike I average 15mph not out to break any speed records. I like longer distances 20 + Comfort is important less back and ass ache the better. My endurance is fine my legs can handle whatever I throw at them. I would like to start doing some biking events next year so whatever I buy will have to last. Any suggestions? Tnx peddle hard and long.

Originally Posted by Packerbacker .

Hello everyone. My ? isnt so much about what brand of bike to buy but more over what type. I live in the country in WI have some decent hills lots of farm land and old beat up roads that will jar a dentist's fillings loose. My style of riding is casual, I love the hills if my muscles arent burning then Im not peddling hard enuff and the hill is going downward not up. Im not out for speed but on my mt bike I average 15mph not out to break any speed records. I like longer distances 20 + Comfort is important less back and ass ache the better. My endurance is fine my legs can handle whatever I throw at them. I would like to start doing some biking events next year so whatever I buy will have to last. Any suggestions? Tnx peddle hard and long.
XC mtb or specialized roubaix maybe?

Possibly a cyclocross bike with a suspension fork and disc brakes. Set it up more for road riding with thinner rims and tires, say 28mm.

Maybe you should also consider changing the type of tires you're currently using. Are you running knobby off road style tires?

If so, you could change to a comfort style tire that has a smooth center tread to reduce rolling resistance, but still is robust enough to handle and cushion all the bumps.

That's just a thought....you'll probably need to with more of a road style bike to significantly increase your speed, as well as training harder to be able obtain the added speed inherent in a more aero efficient design.

I'm thinking anything you do equipment wise to increase your speed is also going to make those rough roads feel even rougher, so be prepared for that. If your mountain bike jars your teeth, then a rigid framed, skinny high pressure tires, style road bike is going to be painful!

Thanks for the advice everyone much appreciated. I did my 1st cycling event sat not a race but a cherity ride rode 54 mi on an old timberline mt bike nobby tires felt pretty good afterwards but deff dont want to do much more than 54 on it. Next years goal 75 plus miles but think will need a diff bike keep the suggestions coming pse tnx :)

that sounded like a job for some 1.5" slicks on the MTB, which definitly would have been a faster ride for you = $40.

found a new store in Taguig near bugos st. they have this new technology that will measure you and base on the measurement thay can recommend what bike best fit for you