Tyre direction, Help

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jesper, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Jesper

    Jesper Guest

    Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.

    Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the bike.

    I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction. This is where you can
    help me :cool:

    See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/

    Is the direction correct? or am I right

    Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?

    Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

    Tags:

  2. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    jesper <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    >
    > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the bike.
    >
    > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction. This is where you can
    > help me :cool:
    >
    > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    >
    > Is the direction correct? or am I right
    >
    > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
    >
    > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

    In theory, the tire direction is supposed to maximize traction based on the orientation of the
    tread. In practice, it depends quite a bit on you, your bike, and the terrain you are riding on.
    It's highly unlikely any damage was done.

    If it really bothers you, it's an easy thing to fix. For the front, just remove the wheel, turn it
    around, and re-install. The back tire would have to be removed and remounted, as the wheel itself is
    not reversible due to the cassette on the right side.

    Here's a few sites that might help if you want to try it yourself:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtires.shtml http://members.aol.com/biketune/remwheel.htm

    Bottom line: no big deal, but easily fixable if you so choose.

    Good luck,

    Tom

  3. "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    >
    > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
    bike.

    > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
    This
    > is where you can help me :cool:
    >
    > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    >
    > Is the direction correct? or am I right
    >
    > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
    >
    > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

    Jesper, The tires should be reversed and it has not damaged them.

    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

  4. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    jesper wrote:
    > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    >
    > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the bike.
    >
    > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction. This is where you can
    > help me :cool:
    >
    > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    >
    > Is the direction correct? or am I right
    >
    > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?

    Front one is definitely correct; rear one MIGHT be backwards, although it's kind of hard to
    tell from pic.

    My advice: leave it alone and swap directions next time you get a flat. (And no, it won't damage the
    tire at all.)

    Bill "amazing how many bikes sold with incorrect tire directions" S.

  5. "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > jesper <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    > >
    > > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the bike.
    > >
    > > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction. This is where you can
    > > help me :cool:
    > >
    > > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    > >
    > > Is the direction correct? or am I right
    > >
    > > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark
    >
    > In theory, the tire direction is supposed to maximize traction based on
    the
    > orientation of the tread. In practice, it depends quite a bit on you,
    your
    > bike, and the terrain you are riding on. It's highly unlikely any damage was done.
    >
    > If it really bothers you, it's an easy thing to fix. For the front, just remove the wheel, turn it
    > around, and re-install. The back tire would
    have
    > to be removed and remounted, as the wheel itself is not reversible due to the cassette on the
    > right side.
    >
    > Here's a few sites that might help if you want to try it yourself:
    > http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtires.shtml http://members.aol.com/biketune/remwheel.htm
    >
    > Bottom line: no big deal, but easily fixable if you so choose.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Tom

    I don't see any braking marks on the rim. Don't turn your front disk wheel around!

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest I've just wasted.

  6. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    D T W .../\... <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> jesper <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    >>>
    >>> Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the bike.
    >>>
    >>> I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction. This is where you can
    >>> help me :cool:
    >>>
    >>> See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    >>>
    >>> Is the direction correct? or am I right
    >>>
    >>> Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark
    >>
    >> In theory, the tire direction is supposed to maximize traction based on the orientation of the
    >> tread. In practice, it depends quite a bit on you, your bike, and the terrain you are riding on.
    >> It's highly unlikely any damage was done.
    >>
    >> If it really bothers you, it's an easy thing to fix. For the front, just remove the wheel, turn
    >> it around, and re-install. The back tire would have to be removed and remounted, as the wheel
    >> itself is not reversible due to the cassette on the right side.
    >>
    >> Here's a few sites that might help if you want to try it yourself:
    >> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtires.shtml http://members.aol.com/biketune/remwheel.htm
    >>
    >> Bottom line: no big deal, but easily fixable if you so choose.
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >>
    >> Tom
    >

    > I don't see any braking marks on the rim. Don't turn your front disk wheel around!

    Okay, good call there.

    Tom

  7. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Ooops. Don't see my reply yet, but I didn't see front tire markings correctly. (Still, looks like
    type of tread that doesn't matter much.)

    Bill "would still wait till you flat (or notice poor traction)" S.

  8. Jesper

    Jesper Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    I will change the directions of both tyres and see if there are any changes, to the traction
    and stuff.

    At least I now know that they where not correctly fittet to the wheels. :cool:

    Thansk and happy MTBing. Jesper, Denmark

    "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    >
    > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
    bike.

    > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
    This
    > is where you can help me :cool:
    >
    > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    >
    > Is the direction correct? or am I right
    >
    > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
    >
    > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

  9. "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > I will change the directions of both tyres and see if there are any
    changes,
    > to the traction and stuff.
    >
    > At least I now know that they where not correctly fittet to the wheels.
    :cool:

    > Thansk and happy MTBing. Jesper, Denmark

    Inquiring minds want to know Jesper. is it a disk brake bike?

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest I've just wasted.

  10. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    >
    > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
    bike.

    > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
    This
    > is where you can help me :cool:
    >
    > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    >
    > Is the direction correct? or am I right
    >
    > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?

    They'd never be damaged and in the case of these Contis I wouldn't worry about the direction. Some
    tires like old Darts you would notice a huge difference in traction if you had them backwards.

    Greg

  11. Dave Adnum

    Dave Adnum Guest

    inquiring minds also want to know.... what brand/model tires are those.. they look like a nice
    grippy Nokian style tread...

    dave

    "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    >
    > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
    bike.

    > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
    This
    > is where you can help me :cool:
    >
    > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    >
    > Is the direction correct? or am I right
    >
    > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
    >
    > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

  12. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "Dave Adnum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > inquiring minds also want to know.... what brand/model tires are those.. they look like a nice
    > grippy Nokian style tread...

    I guess top-posters don't know how to read, either.

    Greg

    > "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    > >
    > > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
    > bike.
    > >
    > > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
    > This
    > > is where you can help me :cool:
    > >
    > > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    > >
    > > Is the direction correct? or am I right
    > >
    > > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

  13. Jesper

    Jesper Guest

    "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks for your reply.
    > >
    > > I will change the directions of both tyres and see if there are any
    > changes,
    > > to the traction and stuff.
    > >
    > > At least I now know that they where not correctly fittet to the wheels.
    > :cool:
    > >
    > > Thansk and happy MTBing. Jesper, Denmark
    >

    > Inquiring minds want to know Jesper. is it a disk brake bike?
    >
    > --
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...
    >
    > I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

    yes it is a Disc brake bike, A Giant XTC 4

    \Jesper

  14. Jesper

    Jesper Guest

    Hi Dave

    The tyres are Continental EXPLORER, http://www.conti-
    tyres.co.uk/conticycle/mountain/mountain_default.htm click the "explorer" link in the top bar.

    \Jesper

    "Dave Adnum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > inquiring minds also want to know.... what brand/model tires are those.. they look like a nice
    > grippy Nokian style tread...
    >
    > dave
    >

    > "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    > >
    > > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
    > bike.
    > >
    > > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
    > This
    > > is where you can help me :cool:
    > >
    > > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    > >
    > > Is the direction correct? or am I right
    > >
    > > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

  15. Dave Adnum

    Dave Adnum Guest

    feck aff... i wish people would quit being asses and simply answer innocent questions.

    > "Dave Adnum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > inquiring minds also want to know.... what brand/model tires are those.. they look like a nice
    > > grippy Nokian style tread...
    > >

    > I guess top-posters don't know how to read, either.
    >
    > Greg
    >

    > > "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    > > >
    > > > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
    > > bike.
    > > >
    > > > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
    > > This
    > > > is where you can help me :cool:
    > > >
    > > > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    > > >
    > > > Is the direction correct? or am I right
    > > >
    > > > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

  16. Dave Adnum

    Dave Adnum Guest

    thanks jesper

    dave

    "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:401411eb$0$237$e[email protected]...
    > Hi Dave
    >
    > The tyres are Continental EXPLORER, http://www.conti-
    > tyres.co.uk/conticycle/mountain/mountain_default.htm
    click
    > the "explorer" link in the top bar.
    >
    > \Jesper
    >
    > "Dave Adnum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > inquiring minds also want to know.... what brand/model tires are those.. they look like a nice
    > > grippy Nokian style tread...
    > >
    > > dave
    > >

    > > "jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi I have for three weeks bought my first mountain bike.
    > > >
    > > > Now I have started to take a closer look at the different parts on the
    > > bike.
    > > >
    > > > I ended at the tyres and saw that they might have the wrong direction.
    > > This
    > > > is where you can help me :cool:
    > > >
    > > > See the pictures: http://www.berthing.org/content/view/10/49/
    > > >
    > > > Is the direction correct? or am I right
    > > >
    > > > Are the tyres damaged, if they are not correctly mounted?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your help, Jesper B, Denmark

  17. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Dave Adnum wrote:
    > feck aff... i wish people would quit being asses and simply answer innocent questions.

    feck aff... i wish people would quit being asses and simply read what was provided to them.

    Greg