Tyres - worthwhile? Yes.

colebatchd

Aug 15, 2009
Hi All,

Just thought I'd share an experience today. I've been riding on an aging set of Gatorskins for a while now - no idea how many kms are on them, but the rear had such a flat spot you'd swear it had been used on nothing but the windtrainer. Yesterday I replaced them with a set of GP4000, had a solid ride today (Kinglake) and was flying. Call it placebo effect, or put it down to the tyres, either way the purchase got me going.

I'm sure this is an often told story (got my new equipment, went faster), the reason I'm telling it is to add weight to the value of getting better tyres. If anyone is out there thinking "I don't race, I just ride with my mates" and so going out to get another set of training tyres - think again. I don't (currently) race, but my mates and I get fairly competitive, and going that little bit quicker is certainly the objective! Hence, think again about what sort of tyres you really need.

Happy to be told I've got it all wrong, or for someone to read this and think "yeah, I don't race either, but I'd like to go quicker".

Cheers,
Dim

colebatchd said:
Hi All,

Just thought I'd share an experience today. I've been riding on an aging set of Gatorskins for a while now - no idea how many kms are on them, but the rear had such a flat spot you'd swear it had been used on nothing but the windtrainer. Yesterday I replaced them with a set of GP4000, had a solid ride today (Kinglake) and was flying. Call it placebo effect, or put it down to the tyres, either way the purchase got me going.

I'm sure this is an often told story (got my new equipment, went faster), the reason I'm telling it is to add weight to the value of getting better tyres. If anyone is out there thinking "I don't race, I just ride with my mates" and so going out to get another set of training tyres - think again. I don't (currently) race, but my mates and I get fairly competitive, and going that little bit quicker is certainly the objective! Hence, think again about what sort of tyres you really need.

Happy to be told I've got it all wrong, or for someone to read this and think "yeah, I don't race either, but I'd like to go quicker".

Cheers,
Dim

When new the GP4000's have a lower rolling resistance, Crr, than the Gatorskins. However, in the Gatorskins favor, their Crr decreased with use (less rubber means less Crr). Squared off tires, though, do not need to be replaced. They perform/handle just fine.

You probably just ended up having the new tires inflated harder. Harder tires go faster, generally, but of course, they also don't soak up road imperfections as well.

well, that explains my sorry ride the other day in my nylon tires, i only aired them up to 85 psi instead of 102.

No surprise here....GP4000s are a race tire, meaning they are designed for lower RR vs max puncture resistance and longer wear of the Gatorskins. Believe you could be saving as much as a couple of watts per tire. Punctures haven't been an issue for me with the 4000, but ymmv.

Based on the few tires I've tried, the 4000s are pretty durable. There are several faster race tires to choose, like the Vittoria Open Corsa CX but these are more puncture-prone and quicker wearing. Tires (and pressures) do make a difference in ride and feel of the bike.

Thanks all for the feedback. Re pressures - thats the one thing I know as constant, made the very worthwhile investment in a floor pump a few years back now and I check pressures before every ride... like I said at the start, we get a tad competitive!

Glad to hear another positive report on the 4000s durability. I've seen a few people write that now. Fingers crossed I get the same mileage!

Cheers,
Dim

longfemur said:
You probably just ended up having the new tires inflated harder. Harder tires go faster, generally, but of course, they also don't soak up road imperfections as well.

And hard tyres on bumpy roads go slower.

Don't just inflate tyres to "recommended pressure;" Inflate them according to conditions and load.

See L sidebar here.