UCI Email - The Missing Link

rooman

New Member
Mar 11, 2005
1,167
icon3.gif
UCI Email - The Missing Link
It's been removed from the UCI website, so just in case you might have something to say to the UCI about UCI President elect Pat McQuaid lying to the world over the IOC and the Kilo/500 here it is:-

[email protected]

want to tell them all to resign? , I feel no lesser sanction is good enough!:mad:
__________________
:eek: Roo
"There are no ordinary moments"
Dan Millman-The Way of the Peaceful Warrior

rooman said:
icon3.gif
UCI Email - The Missing Link
It's been removed from the UCI website, so just in case you might have something to say to the UCI about UCI President elect Pat McQuaid lying to the world over the IOC and the Kilo/500 here it is:-

[email protected]

want to tell them all to resign? , I feel no lesser sanction is good enough!:mad:
__________________
:eek: Roo
"There are no ordinary moments"
Dan Millman-The Way of the Peaceful Warrior

ummmm. look dont shoot me for this but as many others have pointed out complaining to the UCI is rather pointless as the decision either way rests with the IOC, not the UCI. NFI about how all this will turn out but makin noise with a middleman (and a yet-to-be-elected one at that!) is a tad futile IMHO.
They can all resign. It wont make any difference to the kilo/500m now!!!
The time to make noise to the UCI was 6-12 months ago. Now its in the IOC's hands (which I sincerely hope the change! even if it means another UK gold medal ! AND it would be good to see the 'home' team win a gold in the women's 500m even if it is at the expense of 'our' Anna :( )

flyingdutch said:
ummmm. look dont shoot me for this but as many others have pointed out complaining to the UCI is rather pointless as the decision either way rests with the IOC, not the UCI. NFI about how all this will turn out but makin noise with a middleman (and a yet-to-be-elected one at that!) is a tad futile IMHO.
They can all resign. It wont make any difference to the kilo/500m now!!!
The time to make noise to the UCI was 6-12 months ago. Now its in the IOC's hands (which I sincerely hope the change! even if it means another UK gold medal ! AND it would be good to see the 'home' team win a gold in the women's 500m even if it is at the expense of 'our' Anna :( )

agree, they wont do a thing, and they will just cross swords on semantics with the IOC in the meantime.....but give the buggers hell anyway, they laid down like a wet tissue when the IOC said no more extra events, and what have they done since then...have they said anything about lobbying to get rythmic gymnastics ( opening ceremony has enough) and synch swimming ( went out with Tarzan movies) and some of the riding events ( aheemmmmm, elitist or what?) removed at the up and coming vote on sports that survive?...they have done seemingly bugger all...so why let them have peace?, especially when they hide their email addresses on the web site straight after the petition started to gather signatures.....if they have been lobbying quietly well maybe they should just drop the odd hint.

IMHO it's probably time for the world to drop the olympics for a decade or two!, it's become a farce!

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:53:18 +1000, rooman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>agree, they wont do a thing, and they will just cross swords on
>semantics with the IOC in the meantime.....but give the buggers hell
>anyway, they laid down like a wet tissue when the IOC said no more
>extra events, and what have they done since then.

How do you know this is the case? For all we know, they
may have fought tooth & nail to keep these events in,
and lost. Bagging them won't do anything except
potentially hurt the people who may have been doing
all the "right" things anyway.

The olympics is a farce, that's true, but for the trackies
(which the UCI will understand) it's the one big
thing.

Carl Brewer said:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:53:18 +1000,

How do you know this is the case? For all we know, they
may have fought tooth & nail to keep these events in,
and lost. Bagging them won't do anything except
potentially hurt the people who may have been doing
all the "right" things anyway.

The olympics is a farce, that's true, but for the trackies
(which the UCI will understand) it's the one big
thing.
I did say ".....if they have been lobbying quietly well maybe they should just drop the odd hint."

The Aussie's Federation and others made plenty of noise to the UCI to encourage them, it fell on deaf ears!, and the submissions/vote from all the federations to remove any event had the Road TT the loser hands down, but they (The UCI management committee) excluded it from the count. So it was manipulated beforehand, there was/is a clear agenda...and maybe it is about getting up the nose of the IOC as was said in ohter threads...and maybe we might see some of the "silly" "sports" get the chop from the vote to remove for 2012....and it is also possible that cycling also gets the chop...and this recent episode over the 1K/500 may be sending a lot of messages to the IOC members that the UCI is a **** and needs to cool its heals on the outer of Olympic sports for a while, if not for good....

Yes Carl, a lot of maybes, and in the abscence of enlightenment from the UCI, I am not too happy to give them the benefit of the doubt when they seem to ignore some sensible facts and recommendations from the senior federations and fly in the face of logic and public opinion....

Do you know something about the "for all we know, they may have fought tooth & nail" bit, that they havn't enlightened us about....? There's precious little detail out there other than some huffing and puffing and curiously convoluted waffle in their press releases, and a downright lie from their President elect....

On the surface, they dont merit your concession.

...what the hell...lets just ride more and drink more beer in interesting places!

Carl Brewer said:
How do you know this is the case? For all we know, they
may have fought tooth & nail to keep these events in,
and lost. Bagging them won't do anything except
potentially hurt the people who may have been doing
all the "right" things anyway.

The olympics is a farce, that's true, but for the trackies
(which the UCI will understand) it's the one big
thing.

President Elect upon being handed petition...

""They [the IOC] came to us 18 months ago asking for the inclusion of BMX. We agreed to that and knew we'd have to drop two medals to accommodate BMX. We didn't make any decision at the time. We tried to brazen it out with the IOC, hoping they'd forget about events having to be excluded. It was the IOC who told us to exclude track events, not road, because the women's 500m, for instance, was only introduced [into the Olympics] at Sydney [in 2000]."

in other words they put in their concerns then stuck their head in sand ...
"We didn't make any decision at the time. We tried to brazen it out with the IOC, hoping they'd forget about events having to be excluded."

So they didnt do any follow up, they didnt lobby, they just bent over and thought to themselves "that's OK i free have tickets to the olympics"

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:02:39 +1000, rooman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Do you know something about the "for all we know, they may have fought
>tooth & nail" bit, that they havn't enlightened us about....? There's
>precious little detail out there other than some huffing and puffing
>and curiously convoluted waffle in their press releases, and a
>downright lie from their President elect....

No, I don't know, but I perfer to err on the side of them
not being the bad guys, unless there's some pretty
good evidence that they're not.

>..what the hell...lets just ride more and drink more beer in
>interesting places!

I'm all for that!

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:19:16 +1000, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> How do you know this is the case? For all we know, they
>> may have fought tooth & nail to keep these events in,
>> and lost. Bagging them won't do anything except
>> potentially hurt the people who may have been doing
>> all the "right" things anyway.
>>
>> The olympics is a farce, that's true, but for the trackies
>> (which the UCI will understand) it's the one big
>> thing.

>President Elect upon being handed petition...
>
>""They [the IOC] came to us 18 months ago asking for the inclusion of
>BMX. We agreed to that and knew we'd have to drop two medals to
>accommodate BMX. We didn't make any decision at the time. We tried to
>brazen it out with the IOC, hoping they'd forget about events having to
>be excluded. It was the IOC who told us to exclude track events, not
>road, because the women's 500m, for instance, was only introduced [into
>the Olympics] at Sydney [in 2000]."
>
>in other words they put in their concerns then stuck their head in sand

Or someone's playing politics? I still wouldn't go blasting some
poor lackey who has the unfortunate job of reading the email they
get sent. Even if a president-elect is suggesting
naivety on the part of the UCI.

Carl Brewer said:
Or someone's playing politics? I still wouldn't go blasting some
poor lackey who has the unfortunate job of reading the email they
get sent. Even if a president-elect is suggesting
naivety on the part of the UCI.

i (think) he was quoting Australia's reps actions/position in that speel.

to me it just sounds like horse-bolted, close door... :rolleyes:

the time to run that petition (or for us all to hear about the scenario and 3rd parties to do so) and the Oz reps to be outspoken on it was 12 months ago.

If only NIKE made track bikes :rolleyes:

flyingdutch said:
i (think) he was quoting Australia's reps actions/position in that speel.

to me it just sounds like horse-bolted, close door... :rolleyes:

the time to run that petition (or for us all to hear about the scenario and 3rd parties to do so) and the Oz reps to be outspoken on it was 12 months ago.

If only NIKE made track bikes :rolleyes:
isnt it a lot of horse manure!!...the IOC have flatly denied maQuaid's statement that they (they IOC) asked for track to be removed....and that all they said was ...at this point in time you cant have any more events so if you want to add a new one you have to remove one...same goes for all other sports...the UCI made the decision...(we are told by the UCI), after they got submissions and after they got votes from the federations ( which selected the RoadTT to go, and the UCI excluded all votes on the RoadTT and came up with the Kilo and the 500 out and BMX in.....that's what has come out in the media, plus the UCI with some waffly statement that was impossible to decide what they were really saying in their press release like "we had conclusive deliberations and made a decision for an outcome that is nothing like reality" ...figure that one out?..I think it lost a heap in translation obviously from Swiss to French, to Flemmish, to German, to Spanish, to Kazak, to Swahili and then finally into Fronglay/Henglish.....

maybe no one knows what they did, or why, just that they got together , had a few beers and horsesdouvres, with a strong espresso and some waffles and tossed darts at a spinning wheel......

sounds like a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon!!

THE LATEST ON THIS UCI DEBACLE FROM www.Cyclingnews.com today:

"The UCI is standing firm behind its decision to suppress from the Beijing Olympics the men's kilo and the women's 500m time trial. Last week, a petition containing 10,679 names was handed to Pat McQuaid, the UCI's president elect, by the editor/publisher of BikeBiz.com, Carlton Reid, and track rider Julie Dominguez.

In a full page article in the UK's Cycling Weekly magazine, published yesterday, McQuaid said he was "livid" at finding himself in what Cycling Weekly called "the centre of an embarrassing controversy." He told Cycling Weekly that his comments, made at the handing over of the petition at the UCI's HQ in Switzerland, were "off the record". According to Reid, he had made explosive comments about the fury of the Beijing Olympic committee, and the inability of the Chinese cycling federation (its best hope of a cycling Gold was in the women's 500m) to find more trackies in a country of billions of cyclists.

His claim from last Thursday that the International Olympic Committee had demanded it was to be track events culled and not road events was swiftly denied by the Switzerland-based IOC. Were the UCI to re-run the survey asking which two cycle events should be culled from the Olympics, there would be no opposition from the IOC.

The current decision was taken after a March 2005 survey of 24 national cycle federations. It is believed many federations voted to exclude the road time trial with only a small proportion voting for the exclusion of the kilo. However, some of the federations surveyed said they were asked to vote on all existing events, and were not told that any votes for a road event would not be counted.

Internal UCI documents show that the UCI had already decided it would be track events culled from the Olympics, not road, Reid reported, So, the inclusion of road events on the March survey calls into question the validity of the survey's results.

Despite many requests from national cycle federations, the UCI has not so far published the survey questions or the full results.

Many national cycling federations are now informally urging the UCI to re-run the survey to find out which two cycling events should be culled from the 2008 Olympics. Track fans can play their part by e-mailing their national federations, of which a list of e-mail addresses can be found at bikebiz.com "