UCI Go after "Men In Black"

El Loto

Jun 29, 2004
UCI goes after the "Men in Black"

The UCI has targeted "six or seven" top riders who are suspected of using doping products, by subjecting them to extra unannounced doping controls. Some of these riders have already produced "non-negative" results, according to Anne Gripper, director of the UCI's anti-doping program. "We have picked out six or seven riders who are considered high-risk cases because of their suspect behaviour and subsequent good performances in the Tour de France," she told the press agency Belga. Some of these riders "have already had three or four unannounced doping controls," although the UCI only requires one per rider per year.

Gripper said that "We have information that they train in strange places." The controllers refer to the riders as the "Men in Black", because they were neutral clothing on their training rides, rather than their team kit, which helps them avoid attention by the UCI controllers.

"Some of the results may well be announced before the start of the Tour de France," Gripper said. "Several abnormal results have already come in. We are busy with those results and not all of them are negative," she said, "but it will take time, because we have to respect the process, the analysis of the B samples, before we can make any announcements."

Come on then. Lets name some names.

El Loto said:
Come on then. Lets name some names.
No it says they have to respect the process and wait for the B analysis ! (lol !)

Seems rather subjective... although I think its scare tactics.....

I wear neutral clothing when I ride to work… will I be tested ?

Based on their own stated criteria, they would have to take a look at young Cyril. No previous Grand Tour record and then he debuts in sixth or seventh. It won't happen, of course, because-as people on here have thoughtfully enlightened us-the snivelling, French surrender monkeys are only interested in bringing down big shot Americans. :D

whiteboytrash said:
No it says they have to respect the process and wait for the B analysis ! (lol !)

Seems rather subjective... although I think its scare tactics.....

I wear neutral clothing when I ride to work… will I be tested ?
No disrespect WBT but they did say they were after "top riders". You're safe for now. :D

Of course the fact that riders have to register their whereabouts at all times and if they miss an OOC because they are not where they are supposed to be or are out of contact is a violation of the doping rules. But hey, why should something like facts stand in the way of a good story.

House said:
Of course the fact that riders have to register their whereabouts at all times and if they miss an OOC because they are not where they are supposed to be or are out of contact is a violation of the doping rules. But hey, why should something like facts stand in the way of a good story.
Duuh!!:rolleyes:
The UCI has targeted "six or seven" top riders who are suspected of using doping products, by subjecting them to extra unannounced doping controls.

Moller said:
The UCI has targeted "six or seven" top riders who are suspected of using doping products, by subjecting them to extra unannounced doping controls.
They say "six or seven", are they just confused or can they not count?

It's time I put away the Ti-Raleigh team kit and start wearing neutral clothing.......I want to be tested. The UCI ignores my repeated requests and the civil authorities have a state ordered injunction not allowing me with-in 500 feet of a law enforcement centre. Don't they want to know where all the labs are???? There are a few in my neighborhood alone.....
I try calling Greg Lemond to tell him of my dirty little secrets , but everytime I do, he has a bigger and better secret then I do...... He always has to be first in everything!

Umm,........... The UCI is behind every bush wtching you.

***** Does anyone really think anyone is in control of pro cycling at the moment? Or has cycling sunk to the level of daytime soap operas?

Moller said:
Speaking of the word "Duh." They have to give the info on their whereabouts so that they can be found for unannounced doping controls. The article says they go to "strange places" to train and wear "neutral clothing" to "avoid attention by UCI controllers" which, according to the way they do OOC's, would not make any difference unless the UCI was allowing them to not register their whereabouts.

House said:
Speaking of the word "Duh." They have to give the info on their whereabouts so that they can be found for unannounced doping controls. The article says they go to "strange places" to train and wear "neutral clothing" to "avoid attention by UCI controllers" which, according to the way they do OOC's, would not make any difference unless the UCI was allowing them to not register their whereabouts.
Yes they go to strange places like the United States of America ! :p

Moller said:
Yeah, and the Canaries with the two Dr. F's
from cyclingnews a few days ago
Ivan Basso continues to ride his bike. Yesterday he completed five hours in the Alps' foothills near Lago Maggiore according La Gazzetta dello Sport. The 29 year-old from Varese was not in the colours of Team CSC, which he had to distance himself from after being linked to Operación Puerto, or in the colours of Discovery Channel, which he was forced to quit just prior to admitting his involvement with Doctor Eufemiano Fuentes. Instead, he was dressed all in black. The colour could be appropriate given that today he faces the Italian cycling federation (FCI) disciplinary commission.

Moller said:
from cyclingnews a few days ago
Ivan Basso continues to ride his bike. Yesterday he completed five hours in the Alps' foothills near Lago Maggiore according La Gazzetta dello Sport. The 29 year-old from Varese was not in the colours of Team CSC, which he had to distance himself from after being linked to Operación Puerto, or in the colours of Discovery Channel, which he was forced to quit just prior to admitting his involvement with Doctor Eufemiano Fuentes. Instead, he was dressed all in black. The colour could be appropriate given that today he faces the Italian cycling federation (FCI) disciplinary commission.

Surely because he left both teams it would be stupid to continue to wear the team kit. This is trivial. Also he'd have no reason to want to dope during this stage of his ban.

one german cycling site is reporting that three of the men in black are from astana.

Vino, Kash and Klodi are the ones that automatically come to mind. Except that Vino never rode the Tour, although he admittedly did show Basso type superiority in another one.

Gregers said:
Vino, Kash and Klodi are the ones that automatically come to mind. Except that Vino never rode the Tour, although he admittedly did show Basso type superiority in another one.

I agree... if you saw him in the DL and they were just playing with the opposition... Vino decided when he would win a stage and when he would wave to the camera and drop of the back... it was silly..... be interesting to see if Vino will risk it... he well knows that this year is his last chance to win the Tour.... his country is depending on him... and his team of riders whom I've never heard of before... lets see if they do the blue train thing again.... if so then we'll all turn off...

Sounds like it is Astana. They've issued a press release saying there are good reasons why some of their riders train in all black...particularly in the Cote d'Azur. Doesn't Vino live in Nice?

olo said:
one german cycling site is reporting that three of the men in black are from astana.