Ultegra or Dura-Ace Bottom Bracket?

sansabar

Jul 19, 2005
I am changing out my crankset (Ultegra). While I am at it I am considering upgrading my bottom bracket (105 Octalink) to an Ultegra or Dura-Ace. I know that I am getting into the opinion area here, but what are the real benefits of the Dura-Ace over the Ultegra bottom bracket? I am not racing or competing, just enjoying riding hard for a 100 miles per week. Any pros or cons for me in this respect?

Scott

sansabar said:
I am changing out my crankset (Ultegra). While I am at it I am considering upgrading my bottom bracket (105 Octalink) to an Ultegra or Dura-Ace. I know that I am getting into the opinion area here, but what are the real benefits of the Dura-Ace over the Ultegra bottom bracket? I am not racing or competing, just enjoying riding hard for a 100 miles per week. Any pros or cons for me in this respect?

Scott

Ultegra is the better value and you won't notice the difference. I've seen them (9 speed double) as low as $45 online.

capwater said:
Ultegra is the better value and you won't notice the difference. I've seen them (9 speed double) as low as $45 online.

ultegra. I've used the ultegra bb for years, and I change mine yearly, with an every-thing-else da drivetrain because the da bb used to be the most over-engineered, maintenance heavy piece of **** you could buy. I think the design has changed where it is essentially a lighter weight version of the ultegra, but I'm not sure because I haven't really looked into it. the ultegra is such a deal I haven't seen the need to change from it.

Thanks for the replies. Happily, this is what I expected to hear. Common sense does work every once in a while.

I'm using a DA because I got it on sale locally for $40 and they were out of stock on the Ultegra. Not counting that deal, I'd get the Ultegra.

On a side note, what kind of changes can I expect moving from a 105 to an Ultegra BB?

sansabar said:
On a side note, what kind of changes can I expect moving from a 105 to an Ultegra BB?

None. If your 105 is shot, you will notice a smoother spin but that will be a function of the new vs. old instead of the 105 vs. ultegra.

Heck, you could even go with a new 105 BB over the ultegra and save a few more bucks. Since 105 went octalink, 99% of the riders can't tell a difference.

capwater said:
None. If your 105 is shot, you will notice a smoother spin but that will be a function of the new vs. old instead of the 105 vs. ultegra.

Heck, you could even go with a new 105 BB over the ultegra and save a few more bucks. Since 105 went octalink, 99% of the riders can't tell a difference.
If there is no noticeable difference why the different BBs? Is it purely weight?

sansabar said:
If there is no noticeable difference why the different BBs? Is it purely weight?

Because a bottom bracket, after all, holds the bearings for the cranks. How hard is it to engineer a bearing holder anyway? The reason is marketing. Shimano, like Campy and any car maker makes a "higher-end," model at a higher price by gold-plating it or whatever. Sometimes the differences are just that, the gilting.
The weight difference is minor, very minor.

It's the PERCEIVED value that is widely different. That's good marketing. Get it?

Thanks for the education. Maybe I can hold off on the BB since I am having no real issues with it.

I'd go with the Dura-Ace, personally speaking... but thats only because the price for me to upgrade to DAce was only 38 cents.

For what its worth I went with the Ultegra. I'll have Ultegra throughout the bike and decided to go ahead and change it out while I have the cranks off. Thanks for the heads up on the best prices, Doctor Morbius.

r, i agree. the d/a 9spd bb seemed to have advantages of thrust bearings and adjustability but it was not sealed even adequately to survive a season, and this with a couple pro mech repacks...it might be tempting to get one at the blowout prices goin' round but fight it off. lookup www.roadbikereview.com for the experiences of others.

rv said:
ultegra. I've used the ultegra bb for years, and I change mine yearly, with an every-thing-else da drivetrain because the da bb used to be the most over-engineered, maintenance heavy piece of **** you could buy. I think the design has changed where it is essentially a lighter weight version of the ultegra, but I'm not sure because I haven't really looked into it. the ultegra is such a deal I haven't seen the need to change from it.