Ultegra or Dura-Ace chain+ cluster

Bluenose

Guest
I'm debating the benefits of getting a Ultegra Chain/cluster combo over the Dura-Ace.

I'm just about to start Crit racing (D Grade) Should I spend the extra on Dura-Ace or would Ultegra
do me just as well?

Opinions on the pro's and con's would be appreciated.

Ta

"Bluenose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm debating the benefits of getting a Ultegra Chain/cluster combo over the Dura-Ace.
>
> I'm just about to start Crit racing (D Grade) Should I spend the extra on Dura-Ace or would
> Ultegra do me just as well?
>
> Opinions on the pro's and con's would be appreciated.
>
> Ta

The tiny weight savings from DA will have no effect in crit racing, and the difference in shifting
is unnoticeable. There is also a pretty good chance you're going to be doing some crashing, which
could damage or destroy your rear derailleur, so you don't want to spend too much money there. I
would buy 105, actually.

--Josh

"Bluenose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm debating the benefits of getting a Ultegra Chain/cluster combo over the Dura-Ace.
>
> I'm just about to start Crit racing (D Grade) Should I spend the extra on Dura-Ace or would
> Ultegra do me just as well?
>
> Opinions on the pro's and con's would be appreciated.
>
> Ta

The differences in weight and performance between the two are miniscule, however the cost
differences are large. Ultegra is your best bet for what you want to accomplish.

Good luck in your racing!

> I'm debating the benefits of getting a Ultegra Chain/cluster combo over the Dura-Ace.
>
> I'm just about to start Crit racing (D Grade) Should I spend the extra on Dura-Ace or would
> Ultegra do me just as well?

Skip the DuraAce cassette; they tend to be noisier than the Ultegras (something about the
rivets holding the Ti cogs in place on the DuraAce can make quite a bit of clickety-clackety
"music" at times!) and the weight difference isn't that big. No difference in shifting that
I've been able to tell.

For the chain, that's a tougher one. All the Shimano 9-speed chains are said to be made of the same
materials (from the lowly HG53 all the way up to the DuraAce), just different plating. The Shimano
guys say the plating is mainly a difference in terms of shedding mud, although I'm not so sure I
believe that. On the other hand, the DuraAce chain *does* seem to shift a bit better than the HG53.
It shouldn't, but it seems to.

"Bluenose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm debating the benefits of getting a Ultegra Chain/cluster combo over the Dura-Ace.
>
> I'm just about to start Crit racing (D Grade) Should I spend the extra on Dura-Ace or would
> Ultegra do me just as well?
>
> Opinions on the pro's and con's would be appreciated.
>
> Ta

bluenose-<< I'm debating the benefits of getting a Ultegra Chain/cluster combo over the Dura-Ace.
>><BR><BR>

There is no benefit in choosing DA over ultegra or ultegra over 105 level cogsets and chain...

bluenose<< Should I spend the extra on Dura-Ace or would Ultegra do me just as well? >><BR><BR>

see above-

Bluenose <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm debating the benefits of getting a Ultegra Chain/cluster combo over the Dura-Ace.
>
> I'm just about to start Crit racing (D Grade) Should I spend the extra on Dura-Ace or would
> Ultegra do me just as well?
>
> Opinions on the pro's and con's would be appreciated.

Even thought I have never use them but you may want to try SRAM's 9 speeds cassettes. They are
lighter than Ultegra and about the same price. I believe there is a performancebike.com 20% off
coupon code at RBT (on >=$100 orders). I would use Shimano chains for ALL applications.

[email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

Corrected by me.

> Even THOUGH I have never use them but you may want to try SRAM's 9 speeds cassettes. They are
> lighter than Ultegra and about the same price. I believe there is a performancebike.com 20% off
> coupon code at RBM (on >=$100 orders). I would use Shimano chains for ALL applications.

Not writing too well today so I will provide the coupon code, From techbargains.com (not assoicated
with in any way whatsoever). Repeated from RBM.

PerformanceBike Sale 22-Nov-03 20% off code: 6000355 Exp 12/15/03

Bluenose wrote:
> I'm debating the benefits of getting a Ultegra Chain/cluster combo over the Dura-Ace.
>
> I'm just about to start Crit racing (D Grade) Should I spend the extra on Dura-Ace or would
> Ultegra do me just as well?
>
> Opinions on the pro's and con's would be appreciated.
>
> Ta

Go for 105

If you have money to spend, get better tyres, make sure your shoes are comfortable and get
enough good quality clothing, so that you can wear clean, top quality, well fitings togs each
time you ride.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK