Upgrade from Sora to better components

srlamb76

Oct 9, 2007
Hi,
I have a 2007 Avanti Monza that has shimano sora (double) components on it. Is it possible to upgrade these components to a higher specification? e.g Tiagra or 105.

Thanks
Steve

Unless you are racing or engaged in some other activity where a missed shift or imprecise braking could be a factor, most of the difference would simply be cosmetic. With Shimano components, 105 and higher components tend to shift a little more precisely and dependably. The brakes are a little more predicatble in their response. These higher end components also tend to have a higher quality finish. From the "bling" standpoint, what could be prettier than having Dura Ace electroetched on your brakes, derailluer, crankset, etc:p ?

From a purely technological standpoint, less plastic is used in the higher end components and higher grade alloys are used in them. Therefore, they tend to wear more slowly and there is less flex when they are used.

I upgraded to Ultegra from Sora about 3 years ago. Ultegra was 9 speed back then. Two areas were different, first the down shifting was much easier with the lever underneath the brake lever. I could down shift even riding in the drops. Couldn't do that in Sora, as I had to be riding on he hoods.

The second area was in the front derailer. Much cleaner, easier shifts.

I would do it again, but truely a lot of the difference is the "bling" factor. Not sure I am sold on the 10 speed chains, as they seem to wear out faster, and they are more expensive than the 9 speeds.

kdelong said:
Unless you are racing or engaged in some other activity where a missed shift or imprecise braking could be a factor, most of the difference would simply be cosmetic. With Shimano components, 105 and higher components tend to shift a little more precisely and dependably. The brakes are a little more predicatble in their response. These higher end components also tend to have a higher quality finish. From the "bling" standpoint, what could be prettier than having Dura Ace electroetched on your brakes, derailluer, crankset, etc:p ?

From a purely technological standpoint, less plastic is used in the higher end components and higher grade alloys are used in them. Therefore, they tend to wear more slowly and there is less flex when they are used.
I thought that Sora would tend to outlast 105 simply because most Sora parts are steel rather than aluminium.