Upstate NY rides?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keyser Soze

Can anyone recommend some mountain bike trails in the upstate NY area? Anywhere between Syracuse
and Ithaca would be nice. I'll be driving there this weekend from Mesa, AZ and will be staying for
about a month.

Thanks

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 20:13:09 -0700, "Keyser Soze" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend some mountain bike trails in the upstate NY area? Anywhere between Syracuse
> and Ithaca would be nice. I'll be driving there this weekend from Mesa, AZ and will be staying for
> about a month.

If you were a bit farther north, I'd known a place further north, past Watertown and near Potsdam.
On the way into town from Canton, you'll see a large water town on your left. It's on the grounds of
a college/universitry. There's a parking lot near the tower which serves the nearby residences.
There are a number of trails around the bush there. I would guess it's about a 4km loop, very flat,
but nice twists/turns. I've been down there once. I quite enjoyed it.
--
Dan Langille resume: http://www.langille.org/

Hey- Hope you have some rain gear <g> Here is a link to mtbr.com trail reviews for NY State.
http://mtbr.com/trails/NewYork_name.html

You may want to check out Shindaghin. There are directions with the reviews as well. Happy
trails. Ken

www.woodtoyz.com Remove AntiSpam to reply to this email!

"Dan Langille" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 20:13:09 -0700, "Keyser Soze" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend some mountain bike trails in the upstate NY area? Anywhere between Syracuse
> > and Ithaca would be nice. I'll be driving
there
> > this weekend from Mesa, AZ and will be staying for about a month.
>
> If you were a bit farther north, I'd known a place further north, past Watertown and near Potsdam.
> On the way into town from Canton, you'll see a large water town on your left. It's on the grounds
> of a college/universitry. There's a parking lot near the tower which serves
the
> nearby residences. There are a number of trails around the bush there. I would guess it's about a
> 4km loop, very flat, but nice twists/turns. I've been down there once. I quite enjoyed it.

That college is called Clarkson University. I went to grad school there. I used to go running and
riding in that patch of woods. Nice place, but not worth a long drive.

Now, if you take RT56 south from Potsdam to Colton, take a left when you get to the center of town,
cross the bridge, take another left and park down past the firehouse. Welcome to Stone Valley. There
is a 7 mile singletrack loop that goes toward Potsdam, crosses the river and comes back up the other
side. Stone Valley is worth a long drive. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Two warnings though: 1- It is a very popular local spot for hiking (not to mention kayaking). If the
weather is nice you will see a lot of hikers. Be nice to them.

2- You will probably not see any other mountain bikes becaus it is crazy technical. I tried to ride
it a few years back when I bought my first mountain bike, without much sucess. I know it is rideable
though because I used to see a Clarkson biology professor riding there with his son.

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.