Used cycling shorts

taracor

Aug 7, 2007
Well, recently, after I mentioned to him that I was getting into cycling more seriously, I was offered a retired jersey and a pair of retired shorts from someone that I had met at the LBS. I greatly apreciated the offer, but I am not sure if it is er...sanitary or safe to wear the shorts. It is like wearing another man's underwear in a sense, and I am just a bit hesitant.

taracor said:
Well, recently, after I mentioned to him that I was getting into cycling more seriously, I was offered a retired jersey and a pair of retired shorts from someone that I had met at the LBS. I greatly appreciated the offer, but I am not sure if it is er...sanitary or safe to wear the shorts. It is like wearing another man's underwear in a sense, and I am just a bit hesitant.
Speaking as someone who buys clothes at resale shops regularly--outerwear is fine but nothing worn that close to the skin nor anything that cannot be laundered in strong detergent or bleach. I suspect that riding shorts would be made of a relatively delicate fabric like Lycra or spandex, which aren't supposed to be exposed to chlorine bleach. So, no--I would be reluctant to receive 'used' biking shorts. The jersey would be fine, in all probability.

Yeah I'd say jersey yes, shorts no. But it really just comes down to personal preference.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too. What woud be the best way to..er..decline the shorts?

taracor said:
Well, recently, after I mentioned to him that I was getting into cycling more seriously, I was offered a retired jersey and a pair of retired shorts from someone that I had met at the LBS. I greatly apreciated the offer, but I am not sure if it is er...sanitary or safe to wear the shorts. It is like wearing another man's underwear in a sense, and I am just a bit hesitant.
Used bikes are ok, used saddles can be ok, but sitting in someone else's skidmarks is not ok.

Aside from the issue of whether I would do it or not... Objectively speaking, second hand underwears can be laundered, disinfected, sterilized to the nth degree, to the point there's not one single microb on there. At the end of the day, your bottom aren't that clean either. The kinds of interaction is not very different to what your hands touch out in the park and subways.

I would hate to pull a hair out of the knicks after using it and finding it doesn't match the colour of yours.:eek:

WIGGUM1 said:
everybody send your skinnies to sogood
Hehe... You knew that I was trying to start a skinnies recycling program, right? Any Assos on the donation list? ;)

I avoided opening this thread for a long time. Kudos to 1id10t for making it live up to my expectation.

Used shorts from some strange dude you met at an LBS? Eewww!!

Bro Deal said:
I avoided opening this thread for a long time. Kudos to 1id10t for making it live up to my expectation.

Used shorts from some strange dude you met at an LBS? Eewww!!
Actually, co owner, (this is a different shop, hella far away though) but yeah, never the less...yeah..

1id10t said:
My pleasure.....:)
Hmmm wasn't sure who to ask this question, sorry if it too is gross. Wearing skivvies (tighty whiteys, underwear, what ever you want to call them) under padded bike shorts sucks --- too much stuff in there. Especially in the summer.
Do people wear bike pants right over ...nothing ???
I saw a pair of "padded bikers briefs" that you can wear under some light athletic shorts, and thought that might be cool. ??
Advice ? Grin and bear it, switch to thongs :rolleyes: -- or just bare it ?? :eek: :D

George

PartisanRanger said:
Bunch of babies here. There's nothing wrong with wearing a well-washed pair of used shorts.
You can wash them, sanitize them, or even irradiate them, I still wouldn't wear them. It's not how clean they are, it's where they've been that bothers me:eek: .