Velcro only on mtb shoes?

Keith Carlson

Guest
Hi,
I'm narrowing down my choices for my first set of clipless pedals and shoes.
I've pretty much decided to go with Speedplay Frogs and a mtb type shoe with
SPD mount. (Most of my rides are with groups, with plenty of stops, so
having shoes that will be easy to walk in will be a plus).

I've seen some really inexpensive, but reasonable quality (from what I can
tell anyway) shoes around $40-50, but my concern is laces coming loose, or
velcro getting clogged with **** and coming loose while riding. The shoes in
this price range all have laces or 3 velcro straps.

So I'm wondering... those of you with experience with lace-up shoes, or
all-velcro closures... how has it worked for you?

I'd prefer to get shoes with a positive-lock type strap at least for the top
strap, but then I'm up to the $120 or so range. (Probably not because of
this feature alone, but others that aren't critical to me). So you can
see... the question is, pay another $80 for that kind of strap? Maybe the
laces or velcro wouldn't really be an issue and I can keep that $80 in my
pocket?

Thanks in advance for any related experience you can offer.
Keith

"Keith Carlson" <[email protected]> wrote in
> So I'm wondering... those of you with experience with lace-up shoes, or
> all-velcro closures... how has it worked for you?

Lace up shoes tend to be much flexier and intended for casual use only.

i'm not sure what you mean by a "positive lock type strap," but i have
cheap mtb shoes that i've used for commuting and w/my road bike for 3
odd years now. they have 2 velcro straps and i have never had an issue
with them. i don't cycle through mud or anything, so i don't know if
that could be an issue, but i wouldn't imagine so, unless you're taking
the shoes on and off while you're in the mud.

i think my shoes are AXO brand or something like that, but there's
nothing special about them. i think i paid around $30-40 for them
(ebay).

Keith Carlson wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm narrowing down my choices for my first set of clipless pedals and shoes.
> I've pretty much decided to go with Speedplay Frogs and a mtb type shoe with
> SPD mount. (Most of my rides are with groups, with plenty of stops, so
> having shoes that will be easy to walk in will be a plus).
>
> I've seen some really inexpensive, but reasonable quality (from what I can
> tell anyway) shoes around $40-50, but my concern is laces coming loose, or
> velcro getting clogged with **** and coming loose while riding. The shoes in
> this price range all have laces or 3 velcro straps.
>
> So I'm wondering... those of you with experience with lace-up shoes, or
> all-velcro closures... how has it worked for you?
>
> I'd prefer to get shoes with a positive-lock type strap at least for the top
> strap, but then I'm up to the $120 or so range. (Probably not because of
> this feature alone, but others that aren't critical to me). So you can
> see... the question is, pay another $80 for that kind of strap? Maybe the
> laces or velcro wouldn't really be an issue and I can keep that $80 in my
> pocket?
>
> Thanks in advance for any related experience you can offer.
> Keith

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 02:32:04 GMT, "Keith Carlson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm narrowing down my choices for my first set of clipless pedals and shoes.
>I've pretty much decided to go with Speedplay Frogs and a mtb type shoe with
>SPD mount. (Most of my rides are with groups, with plenty of stops, so
>having shoes that will be easy to walk in will be a plus).
>
>I've seen some really inexpensive, but reasonable quality (from what I can
>tell anyway) shoes around $40-50, but my concern is laces coming loose, or
>velcro getting clogged with **** and coming loose while riding. The shoes in
>this price range all have laces or 3 velcro straps.
>
>So I'm wondering... those of you with experience with lace-up shoes, or
>all-velcro closures... how has it worked for you?
>
>I'd prefer to get shoes with a positive-lock type strap at least for the top
>strap, but then I'm up to the $120 or so range. (Probably not because of
>this feature alone, but others that aren't critical to me). So you can
>see... the question is, pay another $80 for that kind of strap? Maybe the
>laces or velcro wouldn't really be an issue and I can keep that $80 in my
>pocket?

I've had no trouble with laces or laces with a cover. Velcro tends to get loose
when it gets wet, otherwise it's fine.

Ron

Keith Carlson writes:

> I'm narrowing down my choices for my first set of clipless pedals
> and shoes. I've pretty much decided to go with Speedplay Frogs and
> a mtb type shoe with SPD mount. (Most of my rides are with groups,
> with plenty of stops, so having shoes that will be easy to walk in
> will be a plus).

> I've seen some really inexpensive, but reasonable quality (from what
> I can tell anyway) shoes around $40-50, but my concern is laces
> coming loose, or Velcro getting clogged with **** and coming loose
> while riding. The shoes in this price range all have laces or 3
> Velcro straps.

> So I'm wondering... those of you with experience with lace-up shoes,
> or all-Velcro closures... how has it worked for you?

I have never had a Velcro release with these shoes or their
predecessors and I climb many mountains with them:

http://tinyurl.com/d8l3d

This shoe has a full rubber sole with which one can walk on hardwood
floors without scratching (if you use SPD pedals and cleats) and they
are easy to open and close. From your description of riding, these
should fit the bill excellently. Unfortunately SPD has gotten a bad
rap from road riders who despise anything used on MTB's. I chose them
years ago because I tour from hotel to hotel in the Alps and wanted a
reliable cleat on a shoe in which I can walk like a human, not like a
duck.

Try them on at your local bicycle shop. You don't need to look like
Lance to enjoy riding. If you have been riding clips and straps, you
may find getting out awkward because the proper way to exit is to push
the heel outward and down from which the for automatically lands on
the ground.

The opposite is true for riding. With cleats, clips and straps,
riders were accustomed to twist the foot to force cleat engagement
when accelerating or climbing steeply. Riders used to complain that
their SPD's had unwanted release when accelerating at intersections.
It takes time to get rid of old habits. We don't hear those stories
about unwanted releases anymore, most of the old clips and straps
people having left those far behind.

Do it!

Jobst Brandt

"Keith Carlson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm narrowing down my choices for my first set of clipless pedals and

shoes.
> I've pretty much decided to go with Speedplay Frogs and a mtb type shoe

with
> SPD mount. (Most of my rides are with groups, with plenty of stops, so
> having shoes that will be easy to walk in will be a plus).
>
> I've seen some really inexpensive, but reasonable quality (from what I can
> tell anyway) shoes around $40-50, but my concern is laces coming loose, or
> velcro getting clogged with **** and coming loose while riding. The shoes

in
> this price range all have laces or 3 velcro straps.
>
> So I'm wondering... those of you with experience with lace-up shoes, or
> all-velcro closures... how has it worked for you?
>
> I'd prefer to get shoes with a positive-lock type strap at least for the

top
> strap, but then I'm up to the $120 or so range. (Probably not because of
> this feature alone, but others that aren't critical to me). So you can
> see... the question is, pay another $80 for that kind of strap? Maybe the
> laces or velcro wouldn't really be an issue and I can keep that $80 in my
> pocket?
>
> Thanks in advance for any related experience you can offer.
> Keith

Obviously, different riders will get different results. I've been using a
pair of Sidi Dominator mtb shoes for several years. The Velcro straps no
longer stay fastened, but the ratchet-strap that goes around the ankle works
perfectly. Even before the Velcro hook-and-loops were not worn out and still
worked well, I depended up the tighter force exerted by the ratchet strap
around the ankle to keep the shoe secure. Also, because it can be cinched up
while riding, its easy to snug up the fit when underway. Even though the
shoe with the ratchet strap, such as Sidi Dominators or DMT Ultimax Matrix
Mtb, is a lot more expensive, I do not consider the less-expensive
Velcro-only shoes a reasonable alternative for me.

Because many riders report the Velcro-only works and lasts just fine, I
think the outcome must depend up the foot -- a higher arch, for example,
might put a lot more stress on the straps and prove the undoing of the
Velcro straps. (Fwiw, I ride road only, but prefer the Mtb shoes for city
use where I walk from bike to store or bike to office and things like that.)

-mC

Keith Carlson wrote:

> I've seen some really inexpensive, but reasonable quality (from what I can
> tell anyway) shoes around $40-50, but my concern is laces coming loose, or
> velcro getting clogged with **** and coming loose while riding. The shoes in
> this price range all have laces or 3 velcro straps.
>
> So I'm wondering... those of you with experience with lace-up shoes, or
> all-velcro closures... how has it worked for you?

Velcro doesn't come loose under ordinary riding conditions.
Velcro straps can work loose and release if you run through
deep mud in cyclocross races. If this is an issue, use duct
tape to make sure your shoes stay on. (No, I am not kidding,
and yes I have seen people lose shoes, and nearly lost them
myself.) If you have no idea what I'm talking about, it's not
going to be an issue for you.

[email protected] aka Jobst Brandt wrote:

> I have never had a Velcro release with these shoes or their
> predecessors and I climb many mountains with them:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/d8l3d
>
> This shoe has a full rubber sole with which one can walk on hardwood
> floors without scratching (if you use SPD pedals and cleats) and they
> are easy to open and close. From your description of riding, these
> should fit the bill excellently. Unfortunately SPD has gotten a bad
> rap from road riders who despise anything used on MTB's. I chose them
> years ago because I tour from hotel to hotel in the Alps and wanted a
> reliable cleat on a shoe in which I can walk like a human, not like a
> duck.
>
> Try them on at your local bicycle shop. You don't need to look like
> Lance to enjoy riding. If you have been riding clips and straps, you
> may find getting out awkward because the proper way to exit is to push
> the heel outward and down from which the for automatically lands on
> the ground.

Does Shimano make wide versions (not clear from the website)? My
experience with standard width Shimano shoes is the toe box compresses
my foot, resulting in foot pain after a few minutes to a couple of
hours, depending on bottom bracket height relative to the seat.

> The opposite is true for riding. With cleats, clips and straps,
> riders were accustomed to twist the foot to force cleat engagement
> when accelerating or climbing steeply. Riders used to complain that
> their SPD's had unwanted release when accelerating at intersections.
> It takes time to get rid of old habits. We don't hear those stories
> about unwanted releases anymore, most of the old clips and straps
> people having left those far behind.

I have had unintentional release with SH-55 "M" SPD cleats, but not
with SH-51 "S" SPD cleats.

> Do it!

Use indefinite pronouns?

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Keith Carlson wrote:
> I've seen some really inexpensive, but reasonable quality (from what I can
> tell anyway) shoes around $40-50, but my concern is laces coming loose, or
> velcro getting clogged with **** and coming loose while riding. The shoes in
> this price range all have laces or 3 velcro straps.

Many of those inexpensive shoes don't have a stiff enough sole, and you
can end up with hot spots from the small cleat. I would tend to stay
away from laces, too.

It's not clear from your post, but I think you are a road rider. I
currently use the Shimano T092 touring shoes with SPD cleats. They seem
to have been replaced by the nearly identical RT-50 shoe.

http://penncyclebuy.stores.yahoo.net/06shshsh16.html

> I'd prefer to get shoes with a positive-lock type strap at least for the top
> strap, but then I'm up to the $120 or so range.

I previously wore the pricey Sidi Genius 3 and Look cleats. They had
two velcro straps and one fancy ratchetted strap. I don't see a problem
with velcro.

Art Harris

john wrote:

> However 2 or 3 times I've caught a lace w/ a crank or chain ring has
> been a miserable & frustrating experience. I'll never wear shoe laces &
> bicycle again if I can help it.
>
> Hope this helps, John

Tuck the laces into the side of the shoe. I've done this for years and
I've NEVER caught a lace.
My mt bike shoes are lace up Sidi Retros. Stiff sole, easy to walk in
because the cleat is recessed into the lugged sole.They work great. And
my road shoes are Velcro only Rocket 7s. I've had them for 6 years and
the Velcro is fine.
Phil Brown

"philcycles" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1157213000.564722.161430@
74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com:

> Tuck the laces into the side of the shoe. I've done this for years and
> I've NEVER caught a lace.

What about those special lace-savers parents use on kids who are too young
to bicycle?

They usually have little bells on them, too, so no need to mount one on the
handlebars.

philcycles wrote:
> john wrote:
>

>> However 2 or 3 times I've caught a lace w/ a crank or chain ring has
>> been a miserable & frustrating experience. I'll never wear shoe laces &
>> bicycle again if I can help it.
>>
>> Hope this helps, John

> Tuck the laces into the side of the shoe. I've done this for years and
> I've NEVER caught a lace.
> My mt bike shoes are lace up Sidi Retros. Stiff sole, easy to walk in
> because the cleat is recessed into the lugged sole.They work great. And
> my road shoes are Velcro only Rocket 7s. I've had them for 6 years and
> the Velcro is fine.
> Phil Brown

You're doing better than me. The loop portion of the closure on my SIDI
shoes usually goes in a few years max. They fuzz out and need replaced.
Now that I think of it, a pair of shoes have never lasted me more than
6 years.

Robin Hubert

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 02:32:04 +0000, Keith Carlson wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm narrowing down my choices for my first set of clipless pedals and shoes.
> I've pretty much decided to go with Speedplay Frogs and a mtb type shoe with
> SPD mount. (Most of my rides are with groups, with plenty of stops, so
> having shoes that will be easy to walk in will be a plus).

That has been my choice, for similar reasons. I really, really like the
Frogs.

> So I'm wondering... those of you with experience with lace-up shoes, or
> all-velcro closures... how has it worked for you?

I have all-velcro closures, Perl Izumi shoes, and like it a lot. The
combination of both laces and velcro is like wearing a belt and suspenders.

> I'd prefer to get shoes with a positive-lock type strap at least for the
> top strap, but then I'm up to the $120 or so range. (Probably not
> because of this feature alone, but others that aren't critical to me).

I see no reason to worry about that, but ...

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is probably that television drama of high caliber and
_`\(,_ | produced by first-rate artists will materially raise the level
(_)/ (_) | of dramatic taste in the nation. -- David Sarnoff, 1939

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 22:13:52 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

> I really, really like the Frogs.

[snip]

Dear David,

Please, a technical newsgroup like--

Ribbit! Ribbit!

--er, RBT is not the place for overt francophilia.

Besides, they prefer to be called the French.

Chaleureusement,

Carl Fogel

Keith Carlson wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm narrowing down my choices for my first set of clipless pedals and shoes.
> I've pretty much decided to go with Speedplay Frogs and a mtb type shoe with
> SPD mount. (Most of my rides are with groups, with plenty of stops, so
> having shoes that will be easy to walk in will be a plus).
>
> I've seen some really inexpensive, but reasonable quality (from what I can
> tell anyway) shoes around $40-50, but my concern is laces coming loose, or
> velcro getting clogged with **** and coming loose while riding. The shoes in
> this price range all have laces or 3 velcro straps.
>
> So I'm wondering... those of you with experience with lace-up shoes, or
> all-velcro closures... how has it worked for you?
>
> I'd prefer to get shoes with a positive-lock type strap at least for the top
> strap, but then I'm up to the $120 or so range. (Probably not because of
> this feature alone, but others that aren't critical to me). So you can
> see... the question is, pay another $80 for that kind of strap? Maybe the
> laces or velcro wouldn't really be an issue and I can keep that $80 in my
> pocket?
>
> Thanks in advance for any related experience you can offer.
> Keith

I've got an old pair of Shimano SPD compatible shoes that I've had for
years that have two velcro closures and they're still going strong.
They haven't been used in deep mud, however. I can't remember the full
name of them, it's something-saurus. Shimano shoes have worked out very
well for me.

Smokey

"Smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I've got an old pair of Shimano SPD compatible shoes that I've had for
> years that have two velcro closures and they're still going strong.
> They haven't been used in deep mud, however. I can't remember the full
> name of them, it's something-saurus. Shimano shoes have worked out very
> well for me.
>
> Smokey

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like in general the velcro or laces
aren't really going to be a problem.

I found some non-current model Shimano SPD shoes at a local store for $29. I
know many people advise spend more to get the right product (whatever it is)
first, rather than spending more by having to buy twice. But - these will
get me on the clipless pedals so I can get direct experience. So even if I
end up not using these shoes for years, I'll know much better what I want in
a shoe the next time.