[Vic] Sid Patterson Grand Prix

SuzieB

New Member
Oct 15, 2005
Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event like this but I'm interested to see what it's like.

http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu

SuzieB said:
Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event like this but I'm interested to see what it's like.

http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu

Watching track racing at night is fun - it reminds me of when I was a kid and my parents took me on Thurs nights to the dogs (parents had a share in kennels). Lots of colour, speed, excitement, especially when you pick a jockey and have a bet to yourself on them.

It will be interesting to see how French performs, and how the field responds to him. The fields will be strong, with riders from NZ, GB, Scotland, Warragul ( :p ) racing. Some Aust champs in the mix too.

I'd be there if I wasn't staring at hills that night.

SuzieB said:
Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event like this but I'm interested to see what it's like.

http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu
Make sure you pencil in the Austral as well, it's the biggest race of the calendar.

Sid Patterson is at DISC, which is not as good an atmosphere as Vodafone, nor is it near any PT. The advantage of Vodafone is the bar in the middle, much more social and less hassle than trying to carry beers up and down stairs....

SuzieB said:
Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event like this but I'm interested to see what it's like.

http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu

Short answer: previous SP Grand Prix have been fugging grand. Don't know how the atmosphere etc will go at the nu Disc though.

Pisser, we're going to be up at Bright. Wanna do a a.b report?
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t313436-alpine-classic---possible-ab-meetup.html

SuzieB wrote:
> Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday
> night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event like
> this but I'm interested to see what it's like.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu

I was going to be taking photos for CN, but will be in Bright instead.
FWIW, the Sid Pat is a wheelrace, same as the Austral and the Melb cup
on wheels, with a bunch of support races. Being at DISC rather than
Melbourne Park, it may not be as good a venue to watch from, but I
don't know, that's a guess. I've not been to DISC when anyone's
actually using the place - parking (car, bike, whatever) will suck
though and there's no PT.

Bleve said:
SuzieB wrote:
> Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday
> night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event like
> this but I'm interested to see what it's like.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu

I was going to be taking photos for CN, but will be in Bright instead.
FWIW, the Sid Pat is a wheelrace, same as the Austral and the Melb cup
on wheels, with a bunch of support races. Being at DISC rather than
Melbourne Park, it may not be as good a venue to watch from, but I
don't know, that's a guess. I've not been to DISC when anyone's
actually using the place - parking (car, bike, whatever) will suck
though and there's no PT.

I agree re: venue vibe. Shabby was spot on comparing Vodafone with DISC. DISC is no Vodafone. I guess it also depends on the numbers of butts in seats they get - this will impact on vibe also. I think track visibility is better at DISC, thanks to the smaller venue and placement of seats on one side. But then, I have never had ring side seats at Vodafone - always been up the back in the poverty seats. So DISC may be more "intimate" but it also may be "cold" or "flat" for excitement and vibe.

warrwych said:
I agree re: venue vibe. Shabby was spot on comparing Vodafone with DISC. DISC is no Vodafone. I guess it also depends on the numbers of butts in seats they get - this will impact on vibe also. I think track visibility is better at DISC, thanks to the smaller venue and placement of seats on one side. But then, I have never had ring side seats at Vodafone - always been up the back in the poverty seats. So DISC may be more "intimate" but it also may be "cold" or "flat" for excitement and vibe.
Cold, flat, intimate means jack all. Whats important is CHEAP, for the organisors anyway..i think.

Yeh parking will be an absolute biatch, they'll have to park people on one of the footy or soccer grounds nearby.

Jono

Jono L said:
Cold, flat, intimate means jack all. Whats important is CHEAP, for the organisors anyway..i think.

Yeh parking will be an absolute biatch, they'll have to park people on one of the footy or soccer grounds nearby.

Jono

punters want an experience, which can include cold, flat, intimate - ie bad experience. People will pay $$ if the experience is quality, if they come away buzzing and feeling good about it all. If they feel like peanuts in an empty jar watching flies buzz around, and are thinking about other things they could be doing instead, then cheap means jack ;) The social and emotional elements are as important as the financial for events and participation (including spectating).

Righto Jack, for Vodafone the organisors have to fork out a shitload of dosh and that doesn't garuantee that the crowds will turn up, i'm not supporting it, just justifying it. Plus this little event thats on atm called the Australian Open tennis takes priority methinks.

Jono L said:
Righto Jack, for Vodafone the organisors have to fork out a shitload of dosh and that doesn't garuantee that the crowds will turn up, i'm not supporting it, just justifying it. Plus this little event thats on atm called the Australian Open tennis takes priority methinks.

you're absolutely right Jono - there are never any guarantees (until the tickets are sold). Sorry, I didnt realise the discussion was about whether it should be at Vodafone or DISC. I thought it was about the merits of one venue over the other. Me, I'd vote for Vodafone every time as a venue. But logistically, as you point out, that may not be economically sound.

Lessee what Suzie B has to say about the racing at DISC when she reports back
:D

warrwych said:
Lessee what Suzie B has to say about the racing at DISC when she reports back
:D

I shall duly report my findings after attending the racing on Saturday. :D

SuzieB said:
I shall duly report my findings after attending the racing on Saturday. :D

Bummed I'm missing all the track races.. need to find my keys to teleporter.

cyclingnews.com to the rescue! Keen to read your reports too..

hippy

Headed out to DISC on Saturday night to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix with a stop off for dinner at a great restaurant in High Street, Northcote, Pizza mein liebe. Highly recommended for post ride refuelling. Still very hot and sticky and worse inside the velodrome. Surprised to note only one bike locked up outside the velo as we went in but saw about 8 when we left. Cost was $10 each plus $4 for a programme which was a definate requirement as it not only listed all the riders but also explained the events to Euan and I. We've never really watched track racing before so explanations were much needed.

We got standing room at the steep end of the velo. One poor guy took a dive from the top of the track right in front of us and took out some of the track with him which was taped over by some very hardy souls willing to scramble up. I was very impressed and also horrified to see how steep the velo track is. Told Euan that I think I'll focus on road racing. We saw the guy riding around later with a nasty chunk out of his lycra suit and a rather big graze on his leg.

It was good to know one rider, Reece van Beek, who is trained by the same lady that I see so we had someone to cheer on. It was interesting seeing Mark French try to make the Commonwealth Games, unfortunately he fell just short of the required time. I was pleased to be able to see a couple of young riders in Leigh Howard and Peter Johnstone who have very bright cycling futures in front of them I think. I'm still not sure why some of the scratch races are motor paced and some aren't but it was great to see all that bike p0rn on display.

I loved the smell of the wood and the noise of the bikes as they went past and we were so close to the riders when they came up the top of the track. The atmosphere may have been lacking a little as there wasn't a huge crowd there but they fired up when it counted. We had a great night's entertainment and I will definately be watching track racing again.

details of winners here - http://tinyurl.com/dugzu
and photos - http://tinyurl.com/bus33

Ok so now i can post from work not just read. But Google groups sux.
I will have to figure another way.

So Suzie. You and Euan up for the Austral with Kathy and me ... maybe
Ian.

Did nothing yesterday exept drink.. feel bloated :(

Thursday will be a go .. Need to ride

Dave

On 2006-01-22, percrime (aka Bruce)
> Ok so now i can post from work not just read. But Google groups sux.
> I will have to figure another way.

Are you aware that your email address is public and unobfuscated?

Google (not just groups) is teh suck indeed. I've stopped using
google for searching at work, because in their infinite wisdom,
they've decided our two proxy servers serving 10,000 students has too
much traffic, and therefore must have some kind of virus -- I have to
enter those stupid obfuscated letters from graphics every second
search.

> Did nothing yesterday exept drink.. feel bloated :(

Try water next time. Beer dehydrates you :)

I left all the windows and doors open the night before, as soon as the
temperature outside dropped below inside. Then when I woke up at
10:00, and felt all the hot air rushing in, I ran around quickly
closing everything. Pretty much from that point on, I felt pretty
nauseated whenever I stayed inside (was fine when at the beach,
although a little dehydrated).

> Thursday will be a go .. Need to ride

Thursday will be another hot one, too.

--
TimC
C Code.

Urk. OK Tim I will now look for an anonymous news server > Sob

Unobfuscated hey.. I will give you unobfuscated.

Dave

"percrime" <[email protected]> writes:

> Ok so now i can post from work not just read. But Google groups sux.
> I will have to figure another way.
>
> So Suzie. You and Euan up for the Austral with Kathy and me ... maybe
> Ian.
>
> Did nothing yesterday exept drink.. feel bloated :(
>
> Thursday will be a go .. Need to ride

Forecast 40, let's make it an early ride!
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Euan wrote:

> "percrime" <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Ok so now i can post from work not just read. But Google groups sux.
>>I will have to figure another way.
>>
>>So Suzie. You and Euan up for the Austral with Kathy and me ... maybe
>>Ian.
>>
>>Did nothing yesterday exept drink.. feel bloated :(
>>
>>Thursday will be a go .. Need to ride

> Forecast 40, let's make it an early ride!

Yeah I noticed. OK lets say 7 oclock at :) Kathy racer :) then we will
do at least aspy. Are the girls up for it?

Dave

Kathy wrote:

> Euan wrote:
>
>> "percrime" <[email protected]> writes:
>>

>>> Ok so now i can post from work not just read. But Google groups sux.
>>> I will have to figure another way.
>>>
>>> So Suzie. You and Euan up for the Austral with Kathy and me ... maybe
>>> Ian.
>>>
>>> Did nothing yesterday exept drink.. feel bloated :(
>>>
>>> Thursday will be a go .. Need to ride

>> Forecast 40, let's make it an early ride!

> Yeah I noticed. OK lets say 7 oclock at :) Kathy racer :) then we will
> do at least aspy. Are the girls up for it?
>
> Dave

Hmmm... So let me get this right...
You want me to not only be awake, but be out at St Kilda, at the time
that my alarm usually goes off, on a day when I could otherwise sleep in????

Hmmm... I think they call that pushing the friendship! :)

SuzieB said:
[...]

Sounds like you had a good night out! You will understand what I was trying to say about DISC feeling a bit "soulless". Maybe that will come now they have named the velodrome :D

I find it a very sensory sport, track racing - the sounds, the smell of the wood etc. Worst sound is that thud when someone hits the deck, becuase you know its going to hurt and there is nothing they can do to stop that slide to the bottom.

The track isn't so steep once you get used to it, but I still don't like being at the top of those corners!

So, will you head off to Vodafone for the Austral SuzieB?