Vintage Time Trial Bike Question

William R. Mattil

Guest
I have in my collection of bicycles a Time Trial Bike from another era
:( It's circa 1984 Pinarello "funny bike" that was rumored (as I have no
proof) to have been ridden in the 1984 Olympics by an Italian Team
Member. I've upgraded the wheels, Disc rear and a c/f semi disk front
and the bike is extremely fast as well as very distinctive looking. I
rode the bike in a few District Time Trials and while the term "fast"
and my Name don't often collide in the same sentance I am faster on this
bike than I expected. I have been told that this bike is no longer
"legal" and the prospect of hanging it on the wall doesn't appeaal to
me. so ....

Is it legal to ride this in a sanctioned event ?

If not ... what about club TT's ???

Regards

Bill
--

William R. Mattil : http://www.celestial-images.com

Hey haven't you Floyd is on Testosterone...buzz off -:)

William R. Mattil wrote:
> I have in my collection of bicycles a Time Trial Bike from another era
> :( It's circa 1984 Pinarello "funny bike" that was rumored (as I have no
> proof) to have been ridden in the 1984 Olympics by an Italian Team
> Member. I've upgraded the wheels, Disc rear and a c/f semi disk front
> and the bike is extremely fast as well as very distinctive looking. I
> rode the bike in a few District Time Trials and while the term "fast"
> and my Name don't often collide in the same sentance I am faster on this
> bike than I expected. I have been told that this bike is no longer
> "legal" and the prospect of hanging it on the wall doesn't appeaal to
> me. so ....
>
> Is it legal to ride this in a sanctioned event ?
>
> If not ... what about club TT's ???
>

> Regards
>
> Bill

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:45:01 GMT, "William R. Mattil" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have in my collection of bicycles a Time Trial Bike from another era
:mad: It's circa 1984 Pinarello "funny bike" that was rumored (as I have no
>proof) to have been ridden in the 1984 Olympics by an Italian Team
>Member. I've upgraded the wheels, Disc rear and a c/f semi disk front
>and the bike is extremely fast as well as very distinctive looking. I
>rode the bike in a few District Time Trials and while the term "fast"
>and my Name don't often collide in the same sentance I am faster on this
>bike than I expected. I have been told that this bike is no longer
>"legal" and the prospect of hanging it on the wall doesn't appeaal to
>me. so ....
>
>Is it legal to ride this in a sanctioned event ?
>
>If not ... what about club TT's ???

I'm amazed and disappointed that your question has no drug content.

Check the rule book. There were things on some 80s funny bikes that won't pass
current rules, like different sized wheels and the like.

Unless you've got a club populated by jerks or there's a series championship at
stake I can't imagine you couldn't ride it at that level. I'd think it'd be
particularly welcome.

What drugs do you use to compete? We need to get this back on topic.

Ron

Dear RonSonic:
The dude is showing up on what may be a semi-legal or illegal
vintage purpose bulit TT bike -- he must be maxed out on Chudspah
HCl....
How about Barry Bonds' hormone ratios? At least cycling seems to use
a much smaller rug when it comes to sweeping stuff under....
Robert Leone

RonSonic wrote:

> I'm amazed and disappointed that your question has no drug content.

Suitably chagrigned..... ouch!

> What drugs do you use to compete? We need to get this back on topic.

Thanks for the reminder Ron ... please allow me to rephrase ....

If I take dope will it be legal to ride this bike ?

:)

Regards

Bill

--

William R. Mattil : http://www.celestial-images.com

"William R. Mattil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have in my collection of bicycles a Time Trial Bike from another era :(
>It's circa 1984 Pinarello "funny bike" that was rumored (as I have no
>proof) to have been ridden in the 1984 Olympics by an Italian Team Member.
>I've upgraded the wheels, Disc rear and a c/f semi disk front and the bike
>is extremely fast as well as very distinctive looking. I rode the bike in a
>few District Time Trials and while the term "fast" and my Name don't often
>collide in the same sentance I am faster on this bike than I expected. I
>have been told that this bike is no longer "legal" and the prospect of
>hanging it on the wall doesn't appeaal to me. so ....
>
> Is it legal to ride this in a sanctioned event ?
>
> If not ... what about club TT's ???

As long as the event is run under USCF rules, you should be fine, although
you may have to argue with some ignorant officials. USCF rules regarding
bicycles are very minimal.

Carl Sundquist wrote:
> "William R. Mattil" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I have in my collection of bicycles a Time Trial Bike from another era :(
> >It's circa 1984 Pinarello "funny bike" that was rumored (as I have no
> >proof) to have been ridden in the 1984 Olympics by an Italian Team Member.
> >I've upgraded the wheels, Disc rear and a c/f semi disk front and the bike
> >is extremely fast as well as very distinctive looking. I rode the bike in a
> >few District Time Trials and while the term "fast" and my Name don't often
> >collide in the same sentance I am faster on this bike than I expected. I
> >have been told that this bike is no longer "legal" and the prospect of
> >hanging it on the wall doesn't appeaal to me. so ....
> >
> > Is it legal to ride this in a sanctioned event ?
> > If not ... what about club TT's ???

> As long as the event is run under USCF rules, you should be fine, although
> you may have to argue with some ignorant officials. USCF rules regarding
> bicycles are very minimal.

The USCF rulebook is at
http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=369
and the section about bicycles is section 1J. You could
print this out to stave off problems. As Carl says, the
rules are currently minimal, although UCI rules apply at
national/international team selection events (I'm guessing
District TTs don't count).

For club TTs, it's whatever the club wants. They could
make a rule that you have to race with a lugged steel
frame, 5 cogs, and exposed brake cables. I can hardly
imagine a club TT turning you away with a funny bike, but
sometimes absolute power leads to absolute pettiness.

in message <[email protected]>, William R.
Mattil ('[email protected]') wrote:

> I have in my collection of bicycles a Time Trial Bike from another era
> :( It's circa 1984 Pinarello "funny bike" that was rumored (as I have
> :no
> proof) to have been ridden in the 1984 Olympics by an Italian Team
> Member. I've upgraded the wheels, Disc rear and a c/f semi disk front
> and the bike is extremely fast as well as very distinctive looking. I
> rode the bike in a few District Time Trials and while the term "fast"
> and my Name don't often collide in the same sentance I am faster on
> this bike than I expected. I have been told that this bike is no longer
> "legal" and the prospect of hanging it on the wall doesn't appeaal to
> me. so ....
>
> Is it legal to ride this in a sanctioned event ?
>
> If not ... what about club TT's ???

Photo of the start line of an event I organised last month:
http://www.stewartry-wheelers.org/wheelers/pictures/7-24-start-large.jpg
Note the gorgeous pink and yellow confection at the right hand side of
picture - 1980's vintage TT bike with 650C front wheel. Gorgeous.

Then contemplate what sort of an event attracts /that/ collection of
bikes!

;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
;; Jim Morrison