Vline and (smuggling) Bicycles :)

gescom

Sep 18, 2003
I just read in this pdf (http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/victorian_fares_ticketing/009_Luggage_ch7.pdf) that bicycles are not allowed inside of vline carriages unless they are of the foldable type. (aargh!)

They can be stowed in the trains luggage van for a $3.70 fee although you must be at the station 20mins prior to organise it. (arrghgrrr!!)

I was wondering if anyone here on these forums regularly travels shortish trips on vline with their bicycle inside the carriage. Ever had any problems?

My trip would be about 10-15 minutes to Sunbury, in a zone 2 area only. Would I get away with it? I will be buying a ticket, just my bike gets a free ride. Thanks.

I don't think this will be a problem at all.

The trains with baggage cars (eg. to Bairnsdale) mean you have to put
the bike in the baggage car. It can only take about 10 bicycles or so.

But in the last two months I have travelled from City to Seymour on a
Sprinter (put bicycle where the wheelchairs go). Also just returned
from Traralgon on a Sprinter last week. This was a bit tricky as a
wheelchair bound person also got on board, followed by a person with a
pram. It was crowded. Sprinters can only take one bicycle.

I forgot, also travelled from Frankston to Stony Point on the old
diesel type train that goes on that route. (I used to take my bike on
this train every day at peak hour).

In both the Seymour and Traralgon cases I booked at the station, and
paid the fee for the bicycle.

My golden rules for travelling on VLine are to try and get a train that
finishes at the stop I want to get off at (eg. Seymour), and is early
in the morning leaving the city or late in the afternoon going back
toward the city. This means train is not crowded: Sprinters are really
small.

Facilities are limited, but given the limited number of us people who
want to travel with bicycle on train, it is quite feasible. But if more
than one cyclist turns up per train, not possible.

The VLine people are really good about bicycles.

Hope this helps.

gescom said:
I just read in this pdf (http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/victorian_fares_ticketing/009_Luggage_ch7.pdf) that bicycles are not allowed inside of vline carriages unless they are of the foldable type. (aargh!)

They can be stowed in the trains luggage van for a $3.70 fee although you must be at the station 20mins prior to organise it. (arrghgrrr!!)

I was wondering if anyone here on these forums regularly travels shortish trips on vline with their bicycle inside the carriage. Ever had any problems?

My trip would be about 10-15 minutes to Sunbury, in a zone 2 area only. Would I get away with it? I will be buying a ticket, just my bike gets a free ride. Thanks.
I think you'll find that as long as there is no luggage car and you are using a MET ticket (Stony Point, Sunbury) you'll be fine to carry it free. Stony point trains tend to be fairly empty and spacious, not sure about Sunbury though.

SomeGuy said:
I think you'll find that as long as there is no luggage car and you are using a MET ticket (Stony Point, Sunbury) you'll be fine to carry it free. Stony point trains tend to be fairly empty and spacious, not sure about Sunbury though.

Fairly sure bikes aint allowed on the 'Sprinter' trains

Ironically <insert image of banging head against wall>
the 'Sprinter' trains were named in honour of some guy called 'Opperman'.
Wonder what his claim to fame was???

flyingdutch said:

Ironically <insert image of banging head against wall>
the 'Sprinter' trains were named in honour of some guy called 'Opperman'.
Wonder what his claim to fame was???

I've had bike on sprinter.. BUT!!! it was the first train of the day at 5am!!! Not overly crowded ;)

On the diesels, bike transport was never an issue. As a regular commuter, I managed to get free passage for my steed as well (good guys on the Gippsland line!!)

flyingdutch said:

I've carried (with another person) one MTB loaded with camping gear and one recumbent trike. The train was perhaps half full, and the conductors was very helpful getting the bikes on. We didn't have to pay either :).

You might have trouble with a full train or a conductor in a bad mood, but all of my v-line bike carrying experiance so far has been good. Even the bus drivers have taken my bike when asked.