VO2max block training schedule.

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
Does this look OK? I am about to target my vo2max training for 3 weeks and 2 weeks before my major race.

Sat-- 5x5
Sunday--morning local race 1 hour 30 minutes. 5x5 in the afternoon
Monday--5x5
Tuesday--rest
Wednesday--rest
Thursday--endurance pace either on the trainer or commuting to work.
Friday--rest.

The above schedule should last about 2 weeks. On third week's Sunday I would be doing a very long road race which should include some very good vo2max workout on its own. On the fourth week's Sunday I have another long road race which, again, should provide enough vo2max workout on its own. I will begin to taper on the following Monday.

BlueJersey said:
Does this look OK? I am about to target my vo2max training for 3 weeks and 2 weeks before my major race.

Sat-- 5x5
Monday--5x5
Tuesday--rest
Wednesday--rest
Friday--rest.

The above schedule should last about 2 weeks. On third week's Sunday I would be doing a very long road race which should include some very good vo2max workout on its own. On the fourth week's Sunday I have another long road race which, again, should provide enough vo2max workout on its own. I will begin to taper on the following Monday.
I heard about block training VO2 max. I think it's easier said than done. 5 x 5, done right is a killer, and i think if you do them at max, you shouldn't be able to repeat it the next day, or even want to.....especially if you chuck in a race as well. if i was going to do consecutive days of this I would do 4 x 4 or 3 x 3 on the 2nd / third day.....mainly because L5 is so tough. I actually prefer L6 intervals and L4 is heaven compared to L5....

Give it a try though.....but i have tried this and found that during the 2nd 5 of the 2nd day I am struggling mentally.....

if you're able why not try and get some VO2 max done in your race? at my club race I like to ride off the front for 5 mins as hard as I can, sit up and wait for the others, and go again after 5 mins rest.

BlueJersey said:

Sat-- 5x5
Monday--5x5
Tuesday--rest
Wednesday--rest
Friday--rest.

I'd recommend checking out some of Timan's posts. This is one of his favorite topics ...

FWIW, I could not do 5x5 three days running ... at an effective L5 power range each day that is. Add in a 1:30 race in the middle and it's a no-brainer.

Not sure what core/base/CTL you're coming into this schedule with. Better be substantial as you'll probably lose quite a bit with only three 'real' training days per week and likely an average of around only 100TSS those days.

Let us know of this works, and how this improves your performance.

2 Weeks before your major race: Would you not want to begin to consolidate all race factors, endurance, and recovery?

I am curious as to why I never train like this or counsel others to do so.

Yes, I worry. I mean, I really worry. :D I am already on L4 3 day block training. I have no problem there. Even racing back to back is not even an issue. May just cut down to 2 days. On my third day maybe some SST workout. It seems that TiMan recommended no threshold work when on VO2max block training. Train one system at a time or make one system as a focus.

BullGod said:
I heard about block training VO2 max. I think it's easier said than done. 5 x 5, done right is a killer, and i think if you do them at max, you shouldn't be able to repeat it the next day, or even want to.....especially if you chuck in a race as well. if i was going to do consecutive days of this I would do 4 x 4 or 3 x 3 on the 2nd / third day.....mainly because L5 is so tough. I actually prefer L6 intervals and L4 is heaven compared to L5....

Give it a try though.....but i have tried this and found that during the 2nd 5 of the 2nd day I am struggling mentally.....

if you're able why not try and get some VO2 max done in your race? at my club race I like to ride off the front for 5 mins as hard as I can, sit up and wait for the others, and go again after 5 mins rest.

My CTL is actually low. Highest so far is 64. Just started my fifth 6 week cycle last Friday. Currently my CTL is 58. I may actually see some good CTL increase. 2 day block is an option. :)

rmur17 said:
I'd recommend checking out some of Timan's posts. This is one of his favorite topics ...

FWIW, I could not do 5x5 three days running ... at an effective L5 power range each day that is. Add in a 1:30 race in the middle and it's a no-brainer.

Not sure what core/base/CTL you're coming into this schedule with. Better be substantial as you'll probably lose quite a bit with only three 'real' training days per week and likely an average of around only 100TSS those days.

You mean I should leave myself to taper with 2 weeks before my major race??? Couple of those weekend races are very long and I figure it may actually help me if I do them. The event I am targeting is Bear Mountain Spring Classic.

Spunout said:
Let us know of this works, and how this improves your performance.

2 Weeks before your major race: Would you not want to begin to consolidate all race factors, endurance, and recovery?

I am curious as to why I never train like this or counsel others to do so.

We won't be climbing to the summit, or the Perkin drive. The climbing part is the Tiorati Brook road. A 2 mile staircase climb. Having good 3 minutes power with some 30sec burst and do that for couple of times are crucial for staying with the main field. The race is long and very open. The only technical part of the race is the 2 miles long 50+ mph descent and followd by a hair pin turn.

Spunout said:
Bear Mountain? Cool race. Are you climbing a lot? Longer efforts?

Just finished my second day. Since the weather is going to be crappy tomorrow, I decided to stay home tomorrw and get my SST session on the trainer. So far so good.

On my first day, I did 4 x 5 averaging 280w. I wanted to use that day to do some 5 minutes power workout on a hill. I ended up riding 2 hours to my nearest hill. So, I got in some long distance, tempo/threshold workout as well. I hit hard on every roller. Total riding time was 3 hours and 40 minutes. 230TSS. IF was .79. I had to go to work afterward. :D I was surprised that I was able to recover 90% by the time I left work. I ate like mad the whole day yesterday.

This moring I did my second day on the flat, in my local park. It felt easier to go flat out for 5 minutes on the flat than on a hill. I did 4x5 again. Averaging 285w.

My top end vo2max power is 300w. FT is 250w. 133lb.

BlueJersey said:

Sat-- 5x5
Monday--5x5
Tuesday--rest
Wednesday--rest
Friday--rest.

3 days of hell. Just finished my 3rd day today with a race. The last 2 days my vo2max power was somewhat consistent. Around 285w. The first set was always in the 300w. I was worry about today's race since I only have 4 hours of sleep. So far so good. Today I have my best 1 minute, 5 minutes, and 1 hour power outputs since late Oct. Unfortunately, the pace was fast, about 26mph for 30 miles. Even bigger guys couldn't ride away from the field and let alone me, this 133lb rider. :D I bridged once on the little hill and attacked once at the bell lap. Pack finish. That's it for me with Vo2max block training for now.

BlueJersey said:

Sat-- 5x5
Monday--5x5
Tuesday--rest
Wednesday--rest
Friday--rest.