this is a hot market... and thomas got me thinking

what would you choose and why?

there is a heap of choice

robalert said:
this is a hot market... and thomas got me thinking

what would you choose and why?

there is a heap of choice
Specs are hard to tell... need to check website

for this price range, it is good for a bit of commuting, shopping, bikepath riding and general fire trail riding

I like the:

Apollo because it is an apollo and specs are good

Kona because they are cool and geometry feels really dialled in for offroad riding

I chose these because I think Hydro forks are paramount for offroading. I don't think there is much difference between Deore to LX/X7... it is only worth paying more for XT/XO

it is only worth paying more for XT/XO

No way. For a start, X.9 is the XT equivilent. And the X.7 shifters are the same as the X.9, just heavier. Much better shifting from the one bike equipped with them (Giant Alias) than any of the shimano equipped bikes. So partly for that and partly for good all round specs and value, the Giant gets my vote.

My second choice would be the GT. Avid brakes are the shizzle - especially at this price where saving dollars and grams with the Vs makes for a better bike.

Go for the best frame and fork for your buck, at that price. Ideally, a frame shared with more expensive models. I can't advise as I've no idea about any of these models.

artemidorus said:
Go for the best frame and fork for your buck, at that price. Ideally, a frame shared with more expensive models. I can't advise as I've no idea about any of these models.
knowing which frame is best is a tuff one

they all claim double butting/butting,

the felt frames are sweet

SomeGuy said:
No way. For a start, X.9 is the XT equivilent. And the X.7 shifters are the same as the X.9, just heavier. Much better shifting from the one bike equipped with them (Giant Alias) than any of the shimano equipped bikes. So partly for that and partly for good all round specs and value, the Giant gets my vote.

My second choice would be the GT. Avid brakes are the shizzle - especially at this price where saving dollars and grams with the Vs makes for a better bike.
How do v-brakes compare with disc brakes? I chose the Giant Alias firstly becos I am biased ( I already own a Giant roadie ) , and secondly the Giant seems to have better componentry. Arent disc brakes better than the v-brakes?

Could someone also comment on the general differences between the frames and how it contributes to the bike handling and comfort?

As you should be able to tell, I dont know much about MTBs.

thomas_cho said:
How do v-brakes compare with disc brakes? I chose the Giant Alias firstly becos I am biased ( I already own a Giant roadie ) , and secondly the Giant seems to have better componentry. Arent disc brakes better than the v-brakes?

Could someone also comment on the general differences between the frames and how it contributes to the bike handling and comfort?

As you should be able to tell, I dont know much about MTBs.
Disc brakes can provide better stopping power. They can also provide a world of problems which need expensive repairs.

On cheap bikes, other parts have to be sacrificed for the extra cost of the brakes and wheels (disc hubs, rotors). The end result is a heavier, under specced bike. Good V-brakes are cheaper and easier to run, and work just as well as low-end disc brakes.

SomeGuy said:
Disc brakes can provide better stopping power. They can also provide a world of problems which need expensive repairs.

On cheap bikes, other parts have to be sacrificed for the extra cost of the brakes and wheels (disc hubs, rotors). The end result is a heavier, under specced bike. Good V-brakes are cheaper and easier to run, and work just as well as low-end disc brakes.
Hear hear. Good v-brakes work just as well as any disc brake outside the wet, muddy conditions for which discs were introduced, unless you have a very weak grip, in which case you might prefer discs. I can lock my front wheel with a dual pivot sidepull brake, for that matter.
Discs, however, are very potent inducers of gearlust.

SomeGuy said:

Dont forget the V-brakes are excellent at wearing out your rims if you ride in dusty or muddy conditions and as mentioned the disks dont suffer this fault and then the rim rub when the wheel is out of true, there is a weight penalty with disks :(.
I ride a Haro mtb and find the geometry just fine for me, has more performance than I have, as it should be of course.
A test ride at the LBS will quickly show the difference that frame type and size has on your comfort/ control and the brand to buy. Some great bikes for less than $1000 now.

eg Diamond Back Sorrento (2004) Features

• Alloy Frame
  • Adjustable long travel forks
  • Shimano Deore LX Gearing 27 Speed
  • Front and Rear Disc Brake
This unbelievable bargain was $699

Now at an internet special of $549

cycleski said:
Dont forget the V-brakes are excellent at wearing out your rims if you ride in dusty or muddy conditions and as mentioned the disks dont suffer this fault

Very true. However the rims on bikes in this price range wouldn't be too expensive to replace. And Vs are much cheaper to repair than hydros if something goes wrong with the break itself.

cycleski said:
and then the rim rub when the wheel is out of true

You have the same problem with discs if the rotor gets bent.

i think the argument is still open re disc brakes vs vbrakes

vbrakes are lighter, can brake as hard as discs, easier to maintain

disc brakes have better control/modulation, aren't as affected by adverse conditions (dust/water) and look better

i've tried XTR vbrakes... they are amazing