Vredestein Tires

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by 4barrs, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. 4barrs

    4barrs Guest

    I have Vredestein Fortezza Road tires on one of my bikes (mounted on Velomax Orion 2 wheels) and I
    wear down a tire in about 2000 miles. Is this normal? I keep the pressure at 95-100psi per the bike
    builder. The rear tire end up with a 1/4" wide flat spot. Is this a rubber compound issue, a
    pressure issue or what? I do not have a lot of experience with higher quality road tires. I have
    Armadillos on one bike and Continentals on an other but the Vredesteins seem smoother and certainly
    faster than the others. Ken Barr.

    Tags:

  2. Fastrack

    Fastrack Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:05:20 -0700, "4barrs" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have Vredestein Fortezza Road tires on one of my bikes (mounted on Velomax Orion 2 wheels) and I
    >wear down a tire in about 2000 miles. Is this normal? I keep the pressure at 95-100psi per the bike
    >builder. The rear tire end up with a 1/4" wide flat spot. Is this a rubber compound issue, a
    >pressure issue or what? I do not have a lot of experience with higher quality road tires. I have
    >Armadillos on one bike and Continentals on an other but the Vredesteins seem smoother and certainly
    >faster than the others. Ken Barr.

    $ .02 a mile, I'd take it....

  3. R15757

    R15757 Guest

    << I have Vredestein Fortezza Road tires on one of my bikes (mounted on VelomaxOrion 2 wheels) and I
    wear down a tire in about 2000 miles. Is this normal? I keep the pressure at 95-100psi per the bike
    builder. The rear tire end up with a 1/4" wide flat spot. Is this a rubber compound issue, a
    pressure issue or what? I do not have a lot of experience with higher quality road tires. I have
    Armadillos on one bike and Continentals on an other but the Vredesteins seem smoother and certainly
    faster than the others. Ken Barr.

    flat spot sounds like a possible hop in the wheel? I have had those Fortezzas and they do wear
    out quick. Best to ride them until they are completely bare and falling apart. You can get
    5,000-plus miles.

    Robert

  4. In article <IhuKa.82471$%[email protected]>, "4barrs" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have Vredestein Fortezza Road tires on one of my bikes (mounted on Velomax Orion 2 wheels) and I
    > wear down a tire in about 2000 miles. Is this normal? I keep the pressure at 95-100psi per the
    > bike builder. The rear tire end up with a 1/4" wide flat spot. Is this a rubber compound issue, a
    > pressure issue or what? I do not have a lot of experience with higher quality road tires. I have
    > Armadillos on one bike and Continentals on an other but the Vredesteins seem smoother and
    > certainly faster than the others. Ken Barr.

    I used to ride Fortezzas and they would definitely flatspot after a while. You can give them a LOT
    more pressure if you want, btw.

  5. 4barrs <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have Vredestein Fortezza Road tires on one of my bikes (mounted on Velomax Orion 2 wheels) and I
    > wear down a tire in about 2000 miles. Is this normal? I keep the pressure at 95-100psi per the
    > bike builder. The rear tire end up with a 1/4" wide flat spot. Is this a rubber compound issue, a
    > pressure issue or what?

    I'd think any road tyre with a reasonably thick layer of rubber would develop a flat spot in the
    center of the tread, given enough mileage. As I understand it, the casing of the tyre remains round
    in cross section, and the center of the tread naturally wears out faster than the shoulders, unless
    you only ride in circles.

    This was certainly the case with my Ritchey slicks, which developed a wide flat spot like the one
    you described after 2000 miles of use in the rear. This year I've used Continental Ultra GatorSkins,
    which have also worn out similarly, although more slowly. I believe that the Continentals wear out
    slower because of a different (better) rubber compound, but otherwise there seems to be no
    difference in how they wear out.

    -as

  6. "4barrs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:IhuKa.82471$%[email protected]...
    > I have Vredestein Fortezza Road tires on one of my bikes (mounted on
    Velomax
    > Orion 2 wheels) and I wear down a tire in about 2000 miles. Is this
    normal?
    > I keep the pressure at 95-100psi per the bike builder. The rear tire end
    up
    > with a 1/4" wide flat spot. Is this a rubber compound issue, a pressure issue or what? I do not
    > have a lot of experience with higher quality road tires. I have Armadillos on one bike and
    > Continentals on an other but the Vredesteins
    seem
    > smoother and certainly faster than the others. Ken Barr.

    Vreds do wear faster than some other tires; pretty soft compound, I'd guess. They seem to get tread
    cuts more easily than others too, from my experience with them (5 sets), and tend to get a bit lumpy
    relative to a Michelin or Continental.

    SB

  7. > flat spot sounds like a possible hop in the wheel? I have had those
    Fortezzas
    > and they do wear out quick. Best to ride them until they are completely
    bare
    > and falling apart. You can get 5,000-plus miles.

    I agree, that's what I do. They last longer than you think.

  8. Pj

    Pj Guest

    I have heard recently that Vred's are now made in the far east and that with this move quality has
    sufferred. Does anyone have any real life experience with this?

    Pat

  9. John Black

    John Black Guest

    [email protected] (PJ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have heard recently that Vred's are now made in the far east and that with this move quality has
    > sufferred. Does anyone have any real life experience with this?
    >
    > Pat

    Yes.

    My recent order of Fortezzas from Excel Sports was just fine. Very much as I remember them from
    about 5 years ago, and again from about 3 years ago, when I last ordered them. They were then made
    in Holland. Cosmetically they are similar to the 5 year ago tire in that they have tan sidewalls,
    not all black. I like this tire.

  10. i've got a pair of all black fortezza comps 700x23, supposedly an exclusive at performance if one is
    to believe their catalog/site. marked handmade. i no longer have the box but i think they were
    listed as made in europe, not further east. sorry i cannot be more definite.

    i have noticed nothing lumpy about them. although the rider himself is a bit questionable. nice
    tires over the past 150 miles.. still kind of new though.

    eric fresno, ca.

    > From: "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech Date:
    > Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:33:52 -0400 Subject: Re: Vredestein Tires
    >
    > Didn't notice any difference in the newer ones from some I had a few years back. The lumpiness was
    > an issue back then too; even had a pair warrantied once, they were so bad. My LBS said it was not
    > that uncommon with Vreds and replaced them without any hassle.
    >
    > "PJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I have heard recently that Vred's are now made in the far east and that with this move quality
    >> has sufferred. Does anyone have any real life experience with this?
    >>
    >> Pat

  11. Precious Pup

    Precious Pup Guest

    PJ wrote:

    > I have heard recently that Vred's are now made in the far east and that with this move quality has
    > sufferred. Does anyone have any real life experience with this?
    >
    > Pat

    They suck, but I don't know why. I've never had so many cuts and punctures through the tread/casing
    as with these. I've had to "nylon boot" them in several places. I'm going back to Avocet or Conti...
    or "whatever" if the price is low enough to try them. Avocet and Conti are light and durable.