War between UCI and Grand Tours

cyclingheroes

Sep 9, 2005
If its up to the UCI we can soon rename this section of the forum in not so grand tours. The UCI are seriously considering to bring back the Giro and the Vuelta with one week. They also want to do the Tour of Germany and the Tour of Poland during the same period as the Vuelte. The UCI wrote a letter to the directors of the Giro and the Vuelta. If true this is a direct attack of the UCI against the organizers of the 3 Major Tours in trying to "kill" most traditional events of professional cycling.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/UCI/amenaza/Vuelta/elpepudep/20061128elpepidep_7/Tes

cyclingheroes said:
If its up to the UCI we can soon rename this section of the forum in not so grand tours. The UCI are seriously considering to bring back the Giro and the Vuelta with one week. They also want to do the Tour of Germany and the Tour of Poland during the same period as the Vuelte. The UCI wrote a letter to the directors of the Giro and the Vuelta. If true this is a direct attack of the UCI against the organizers of the 3 Major Tours in trying to "kill" most traditional events of professional cycling.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/UCI/amenaza/Vuelta/elpepudep/20061128elpepidep_7/Tes
..to the determent of the cycling fans. Well done UCI / GT's ! sort it out boys would ya !

This has come up at various times in the past. I think that the GT organizers will [should?] tell the UCI where to go. Why try to lessen the value of the Giro and Vuelta? No disrespect to the Tour of Germany and of Poland, but those races are in another league... come on!

cyclingheroes said:
The old boys network should step down immediatly!

Is there any way I can donate spare brain cells to the UCI? - They seem to be lacking a few of their own.

Powerful Pete said:
This has come up at various times in the past. I think that the GT organizers will [should?] tell the UCI where to go. Why try to lessen the value of the Giro and Vuelta? No disrespect to the Tour of Germany and of Poland, but those races are in another league... come on!
I am fed up with the UCI, kill a traditional race like the Giro for the Pro-Tour?
Cycling has other problems as the current power struggle between the UCI and the grand tour organizers, if the UCI presidency still did not get that they should step down (yeah I know I am repeating myself :eek: )

cyclingheroes said:
The old boys network should step down immediatly!

We all know they want to step up ,not down. The positions they occupy are not their goal in life but are a vehicle to obtain a name for themselves.
Keeping their names in the headlines at any cost .

jhuskey said:
We all know they want to step up ,not down. The positions they occupy are not their goal in life but are a vehicle to obtain a name for themselves.
Keeping their names in the headlines at any cost .
Unfortunally you are right (once again..), but still... I have had enough from those guys!

Rolfrae said:
Is there any way I can donate spare brain cells to the UCI? - They seem to be lacking a few of their own.
Exactly - what on earth do the UCI think they are doing? With respect to the Tour of Poland and Germany what do all cyclists want to win - a grand tour and/or a stage win in a tour. How on earth do the UCI think they will get our sport back on track with these kind of ridiculous changes to the calander.

cyclingheroes said:
Unfortunally you are right (once again..), but still... I have had enough from those guys!

I hate to be right about negative stuff ,but this is life.

jhuskey said:
Well at least they managed to make me ride a few extra kilometers (to get rid of my frustration, 14 degrees celsius and sunny)

This may be a topic for another thread but: 'Who are the UCI?' Who works there, are they elected or appointed. What purpose do they really serve to cycle racing - apart from the World Champs? Do they work in grass roots cycling - if so I have never seen anything they are promoting? Why do they seem to be so off line and at odds with race organisors. Alot of questions I know and many more I have not thought of but if anyone who knows how the UCI works and has a spare few minutes ..... and I also will look into their structure and function and get back to you guys.

jhuskey said:
I had the same reaction as CH - extra 10kms and hurt. 10 degrees and cloudy today. Hope you are out today JH?

foxvi said:
I had the same reaction as CH - extra 10kms and hurt. 10 degrees and cloudy today. Hope you are out today JH?

No way, I am flash posting between projects here at work. Our big season is upon us and preparation are at hand.
I will probably have to settle for a few moments of hell on the trainer.

The GTs tried to breakaway last season but the riders sided with the UCI. This is the perfect opportunity for the GTs to set up their own competition - and since between the organisers of the big 3 they own all the other decent races as well, including the monuments, what would the UCI's PT be left with? The Eindhoven TTT and the farce that is the Eneco Tour. Now, which would you rather be watching?

cyclingheroes said:
If its up to the UCI we can soon rename this section of the forum in not so grand tours. The UCI are seriously considering to bring back the Giro and the Vuelta with one week.http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/UCI/amenaza/Vuelta/elpepudep/20061128elpepidep_7/Tes
What do you want to bet that the UCI's doping study will conclude that the racing is too hard and the GTs need to be cut back? The UCI has a history of using "independent" investigators who come to preordained conclusions that serve the interests of the UCI.

Bro Deal said:
What do you want to bet that the UCI's doping study will conclude that the racing is too hard and the GTs need to be cut back? The UCI has a history of using "independent" investigators who come to preordained conclusions that serve the interests of the UCI.
The IAAF will soon decide to shorten the sprint from 100 into 65 meters after the Gatlin case...

micron said:
The GTs tried to breakaway last season but the riders sided with the UCI. This is the perfect opportunity for the GTs to set up their own competition - and since between the organisers of the big 3 they own all the other decent races as well, including the monuments, what would the UCI's PT be left with? The Eindhoven TTT and the farce that is the Eneco Tour. Now, which would you rather be watching?
Agree completely. I'd much rather see a league set up by the GT organizers, people who have a vested interest in promoting cycling. No interest in cycling = no money from their GTs. It would be much more similar to pro leagues such as the NFL, NBA, etc.. Sure there are some downsides (possibly) but many more benefits:
1. Standardized licensing and rules. Certain teams are allowed in. Their riders must meet certain guidelines to include dope control. No more reliance on individual country licensing and anti-doping authority. Again, how strict is licensing and dope control in Kazakhstan or Russia? They could institute a model similar to the French and make it universal.
2. Reduction of beauracratic influence. As a private, profit oriented company, individuals who are incompetent and possbily corrupt should be easier to fire (theoretically).
3. Teams comprise the league and have a great amount of input into decisions. Fiascos like the current Basso/Disco signing would not be allowed under a league like the NFL. The league either clears or does not clear him for racing. He can't go from one team to the other when he remains under a cloud of suspcion.
4. Salary cap? Don't know if this is a good thing or not, but could certainly be an option.

The organizers of the Tour of California may even be able to join and depart from the UCI. I personally see a lot of benefits to a pro "league" type of system.