Well, ive done it - sold the car

Lee

Guest
After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to be confused with car-less
the jackal - arf arf).

Just me and my bike now and boy does it feel good - on the plus side - the cash i made from the sale
of my car is being put towards my new bike (im off shopping at the weekend!)

Lee

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to
be
> confused with car-less the jackal - arf arf).
>
> Just me and my bike now and boy does it feel good - on the plus side - the cash i made from the
> sale of my car is being put towards my new bike (im
off
> shopping at the weekend!)

May I be the first to congratulate you! You do fail to mention that your SO has a car ;)

I sold my car over a year ago, and have rarely needed to borrow one. It's a good feeling, although
will be needing to get the bus later today :(

And what a **** day to do it weatherwise!

Lee wrote:

> After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to be confused with
> car-less the jackal - arf arf).

Welcome to the club :)

--
Guy
===

In article <[email protected]>,
gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com says...
> After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to be confused with
> car-less the jackal - arf arf).
>
> Just me and my bike now and boy does it feel good ...

Did the same thing 12 years ago. Never regretted it for a moment - the stress reduction alone is
priceless.

Of course there are people who live in places where carlessness is difficult - so let's rejoice in
how lucky and happy we are!

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...

> May I be the first to congratulate you! You do fail to mention that your
SO
> has a car ;)

Ah yes, she has - she works quite a way away so needs it - although the scenery for cycling is
really beautiful

> I sold my car over a year ago, and have rarely needed to borrow one. It's
> good feeling, although will be needing to get the bus later today :(

It does feel good - im yet to hear the end of "Are you mad", "what about winter" and the all time
favourite "You will smell"

;-)

> > After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to be confused with
> > car-less the jackal - arf arf).
>
> Welcome to the club :)

YOU HAVE/HAD a VULVA Errr I mean VOLVO!

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It does feel good - im yet to hear the end of "Are you mad", "what about winter" and the all time
> favourite "You will smell"

Or "Did you get caught drink driving?" ...

Lee wrote:

> Ah yes, she has - she works quite a way away so needs it - although the scenery for cycling is
> really beautiful

O.k. on that basis you are joining me. Nice one.

I sold the car and now make do with my bike to work (not much of a hardship since in the last 4
years I have driven to work 3 times). It is the using the triplet to transport the kids all the time
that is the challenge or at least could be when the weather gets worse. Also the triplet needs
lights, which means it needs a rack on the back to hold the rear one or some other cleverness
(anyone done this? Guy? ).

> It does feel good - im yet to hear the end of "Are you mad", "what about winter" and the all time
> favourite "You will smell"

Never had the "Are you mad", I think they just think I am, "what about the winter" I have had, much
to my ammusement. I guess I must already smell as I have never had the final one.

--
Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

Lee wrote:
> ... the all time favourite "You will smell"

Nah. I remember a colleague promising (at my request) to let me know if I ever smelt offensive in
the office. She never complained, and 6 years on we're expecting our second child, so I can't have
smelt that bad.

Actually, it's interesting to compare our commutes back then. My door to door journey was 9 miles,
Catherine's was 2. Some days Catherine would walk, most days she'd drive. When she drove, I usually
cycled past her flat at about the same time as she pulled out of the car park. Despite the first of
those 2 miles being uphill (the second mile was flat), I would always be washed, changed and at my
desk before Catherine arrived.

Thomas Paine

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... You will smell"
> > >

> > Or "Did you get caught drink driving?" ...
> >

> LOL - forgot that one!

I've just had to cycle 6 miles to buy resident parking vouchers. I don't even have a car. Going to
have a tough time convincing my friends to sell up though.

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I've just had to cycle 6 miles to buy resident parking vouchers. I don't even have a car. Going to
> have a tough time convincing my friends to sell
up
> though.

Bid of an odd decision then?

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > I've just had to cycle 6 miles to buy resident parking vouchers. I don't even have a car. Going
> > to have a tough time convincing my friends to
sell
> up
> > though.
> >

> Bid of an odd decision then?

Thought a mate was driving across, and we'd go for a beer. He just phones to say he is just on the
train and will be across soon! Arrghh.

Still, they'll be useful for friends etc. I can probably sell them on ebay for twice the price!

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thought a mate was driving across, and we'd go for a beer. He just phones
> say he is just on the train and will be across soon! Arrghh.

Surely train is far better than car if you are going for a beer.

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Thought a mate was driving across, and we'd go for a beer. He just
phones
> > say he is just on the train and will be across soon! Arrghh.
>
> Surely train is far better than car if you are going for a beer.

Well, yes. Although I thought it was a 'quick beer', which is perfectly legal here in the UK. I seem
to have a sore head this morning though. Thus train.

Lee wrote:

> After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to be confused with
> car-less the jackal - arf arf).
>
> Just me and my bike now and boy does it feel good - on the plus side - the cash i made from the
> sale of my car is being put towards my new bike (im off shopping at the weekend!)

We made the choice 15 years ago and have never regretted it, even though we live in a semi-rural
area, have several children, and the nearest 'shopping' town is 8 miles away.

The improvements in lifestyle from the removal of stresses related to car travel are by far the
biggest advantage.

Slowly more people do seem to be realising that they *can* do without the car.

Enjoy your improved life.

John B

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Lee wrote:
>
> > After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now
car-less. (not to be
> > confused with car-less the jackal - arf arf).
> >
> > Just me and my bike now and boy does it feel good - on
the plus side - the
> > cash i made from the sale of my car is being put towards
my new bike (im off
> > shopping at the weekend!)
>
> We made the choice 15 years ago and have never regretted
it, even though we
> live in a semi-rural area, have several children, and the
nearest 'shopping'
> town is 8 miles away.
>
> The improvements in lifestyle from the removal of
stresses related to car
> travel are by far the biggest advantage.
>
> Slowly more people do seem to be realising that they *can*
do without the car.

> Enjoy your improved life.
>
> John B

I also have every intention of going down this path, I even had a dtae set for it to go on sale but
this got overtaken by plans to move house. I feel that a car is vital for this activity, taking
stuff to the dump, transferring club stuff to other persons as well as being a "safewr" way to move
the bikes and this computer. Our destination is chosen for good public transport access, although
bike route to next towns involves main roads. One query I do have, I may change my mind and decide
to revert so on re-starting a car insurance, will I have lost all my no-claims bonus record? I have
heard it is possible to continue wwith a low cost policy (e.g. on a "scrap motor scooter") anyone
git any ideas about this? Thanks
--
IanB

n.b. Please respond via n.g. (I subscribe to two large newsgroups so I may be running a few days
behind on reading threads). You may need to zzremove snooze mode or switch my names about
(nodot nospace (nodot nospace) to reply direct

"IanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I also have every intention of going down this path, I even had a dtae set for it to go on sale
> but this got overtaken by plans to move house. I feel that a car is vital for this activity,
> taking stuff to the dump, transferring club stuff to other persons as well as being a "safewr"
> way to move the bikes and this computer. Our destination is chosen for good public transport
> access, although bike route to next towns involves main roads. One query I do have, I may change
> my mind and decide to revert so on re-starting a car insurance, will I have lost all my no-claims
> bonus record? I have heard it is possible to continue wwith a low cost policy (e.g. on a "scrap
> motor scooter") anyone git any ideas about this? Thanks
> --
> IanB

Your no claim bonus lasts for 3 years - if you leave it longer then you will lose out - a sneaky way
around this is if your SO has a car? If so you can insure their car in your name noting you are not
the main driver or owner - this way if the two of you keep switching the car insurance every other
year or so betweenb your names, your NCB will never expire ;-) Just a little trick from ya ol'
insurance man :)