Well, ive done it - sold the car

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to be confused with car-less
    the jackal - arf arf).

    Just me and my bike now and boy does it feel good - on the plus side - the cash i made from the sale
    of my car is being put towards my new bike (im off shopping at the weekend!)

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to
    be
    > confused with car-less the jackal - arf arf).
    >
    > Just me and my bike now and boy does it feel good - on the plus side - the cash i made from the
    > sale of my car is being put towards my new bike (im
    off
    > shopping at the weekend!)

    May I be the first to congratulate you! You do fail to mention that your SO has a car ;)

    I sold my car over a year ago, and have rarely needed to borrow one. It's a good feeling, although
    will be needing to get the bus later today :(

  3. Lee wrote:

    > After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to be confused with
    > car-less the jackal - arf arf).

    And what a crap day to do it weatherwise!

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Lee wrote:

    > After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to be confused with
    > car-less the jackal - arf arf).

    Welcome to the club :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]com says...
    > After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to be confused with
    > car-less the jackal - arf arf).
    >
    > Just me and my bike now and boy does it feel good ...

    Did the same thing 12 years ago. Never regretted it for a moment - the stress reduction alone is
    priceless.

    Of course there are people who live in places where carlessness is difficult - so let's rejoice in
    how lucky and happy we are!

  6. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...

    > May I be the first to congratulate you! You do fail to mention that your
    SO
    > has a car ;)

    Ah yes, she has - she works quite a way away so needs it - although the scenery for cycling is
    really beautiful

    > I sold my car over a year ago, and have rarely needed to borrow one. It's
    > good feeling, although will be needing to get the bus later today :(

    It does feel good - im yet to hear the end of "Are you mad", "what about winter" and the all time
    favourite "You will smell"

    ;-)

  7. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > And what a crap day to do it weatherwise!

    its lovely here - no rain at all (havent driven my car since August)

  8. Marc

    Marc Guest

    > > After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to be confused with
    > > car-less the jackal - arf arf).
    >
    > Welcome to the club :)

    YOU HAVE/HAD a VULVA Errr I mean VOLVO!

  9. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > It does feel good - im yet to hear the end of "Are you mad", "what about winter" and the all time
    > favourite "You will smell"

    Or "Did you get caught drink driving?" ...

  10. Lee wrote:

    > Ah yes, she has - she works quite a way away so needs it - although the scenery for cycling is
    > really beautiful

    O.k. on that basis you are joining me. Nice one.

    I sold the car and now make do with my bike to work (not much of a hardship since in the last 4
    years I have driven to work 3 times). It is the using the triplet to transport the kids all the time
    that is the challenge or at least could be when the weather gets worse. Also the triplet needs
    lights, which means it needs a rack on the back to hold the rear one or some other cleverness
    (anyone done this? Guy? ).

    > It does feel good - im yet to hear the end of "Are you mad", "what about winter" and the all time
    > favourite "You will smell"

    Never had the "Are you mad", I think they just think I am, "what about the winter" I have had, much
    to my ammusement. I guess I must already smell as I have never had the final one.

    --
    Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

  11. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > ... the all time favourite "You will smell"

    Nah. I remember a colleague promising (at my request) to let me know if I ever smelt offensive in
    the office. She never complained, and 6 years on we're expecting our second child, so I can't have
    smelt that bad.

    Actually, it's interesting to compare our commutes back then. My door to door journey was 9 miles,
    Catherine's was 2. Some days Catherine would walk, most days she'd drive. When she drove, I usually
    cycled past her flat at about the same time as she pulled out of the car park. Despite the first of
    those 2 miles being uphill (the second mile was flat), I would always be washed, changed and at my
    desk before Catherine arrived.

    Thomas Paine

  12. Lee

    Lee Guest

  13. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... You will smell"
    > > >

    > > Or "Did you get caught drink driving?" ...
    > >

    > LOL - forgot that one!

    I've just had to cycle 6 miles to buy resident parking vouchers. I don't even have a car. Going to
    have a tough time convincing my friends to sell up though.

  14. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I've just had to cycle 6 miles to buy resident parking vouchers. I don't even have a car. Going to
    > have a tough time convincing my friends to sell
    up
    > though.

    Bid of an odd decision then?

  15. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    > > I've just had to cycle 6 miles to buy resident parking vouchers. I don't even have a car. Going
    > > to have a tough time convincing my friends to
    sell
    > up
    > > though.
    > >

    > Bid of an odd decision then?

    Thought a mate was driving across, and we'd go for a beer. He just phones to say he is just on the
    train and will be across soon! Arrghh.

    Still, they'll be useful for friends etc. I can probably sell them on ebay for twice the price!

  16. "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Thought a mate was driving across, and we'd go for a beer. He just phones
    > say he is just on the train and will be across soon! Arrghh.

    Surely train is far better than car if you are going for a beer.

  17. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Thought a mate was driving across, and we'd go for a beer. He just
    phones
    > > say he is just on the train and will be across soon! Arrghh.
    >
    > Surely train is far better than car if you are going for a beer.

    Well, yes. Although I thought it was a 'quick beer', which is perfectly legal here in the UK. I seem
    to have a sore head this morning though. Thus train.

  18. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Lee wrote:

    > After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now car-less. (not to be confused with
    > car-less the jackal - arf arf).
    >
    > Just me and my bike now and boy does it feel good - on the plus side - the cash i made from the
    > sale of my car is being put towards my new bike (im off shopping at the weekend!)

    We made the choice 15 years ago and have never regretted it, even though we live in a semi-rural
    area, have several children, and the nearest 'shopping' town is 8 miles away.

    The improvements in lifestyle from the removal of stresses related to car travel are by far the
    biggest advantage.

    Slowly more people do seem to be realising that they *can* do without the car.

    Enjoy your improved life.

    John B

  19. Ianb

    Ianb Guest

    "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Lee wrote:
    >
    > > After much wrangling with the potential buyers I am now
    car-less. (not to be
    > > confused with car-less the jackal - arf arf).
    > >
    > > Just me and my bike now and boy does it feel good - on
    the plus side - the
    > > cash i made from the sale of my car is being put towards
    my new bike (im off
    > > shopping at the weekend!)
    >
    > We made the choice 15 years ago and have never regretted
    it, even though we
    > live in a semi-rural area, have several children, and the
    nearest 'shopping'
    > town is 8 miles away.
    >
    > The improvements in lifestyle from the removal of
    stresses related to car
    > travel are by far the biggest advantage.
    >
    > Slowly more people do seem to be realising that they *can*
    do without the car.

    > Enjoy your improved life.
    >
    > John B

    I also have every intention of going down this path, I even had a dtae set for it to go on sale but
    this got overtaken by plans to move house. I feel that a car is vital for this activity, taking
    stuff to the dump, transferring club stuff to other persons as well as being a "safewr" way to move
    the bikes and this computer. Our destination is chosen for good public transport access, although
    bike route to next towns involves main roads. One query I do have, I may change my mind and decide
    to revert so on re-starting a car insurance, will I have lost all my no-claims bonus record? I have
    heard it is possible to continue wwith a low cost policy (e.g. on a "scrap motor scooter") anyone
    git any ideas about this? Thanks
    --
    IanB

    n.b. Please respond via n.g. (I subscribe to two large newsgroups so I may be running a few days
    behind on reading threads). You may need to zzremove snooze mode or switch my names about
    (nodot nospace (nodot nospace) to reply direct

  20. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "IanB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I also have every intention of going down this path, I even had a dtae set for it to go on sale
    > but this got overtaken by plans to move house. I feel that a car is vital for this activity,
    > taking stuff to the dump, transferring club stuff to other persons as well as being a "safewr"
    > way to move the bikes and this computer. Our destination is chosen for good public transport
    > access, although bike route to next towns involves main roads. One query I do have, I may change
    > my mind and decide to revert so on re-starting a car insurance, will I have lost all my no-claims
    > bonus record? I have heard it is possible to continue wwith a low cost policy (e.g. on a "scrap
    > motor scooter") anyone git any ideas about this? Thanks
    > --
    > IanB

    Your no claim bonus lasts for 3 years - if you leave it longer then you will lose out - a sneaky way
    around this is if your SO has a car? If so you can insure their car in your name noting you are not
    the main driver or owner - this way if the two of you keep switching the car insurance every other
    year or so betweenb your names, your NCB will never expire ;-) Just a little trick from ya ol'
    insurance man :)