What a wonderful morning

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Taywood, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    Sun woke us earlier than usual, clear sky , no snow, cold crisp air around zero, see for miles, RIDE
    the bike said that voice.

    I left after breakfast with indigestion having listened to the media, 'The whole country is
    suffering' and 'the whole country is blanketed with snow', well we had no snow between Preston and
    Lancaster and M6/A6 were running as normal during my 4hr ride.

    Now after lunch and having listened to the news I'm even more angry. The South East had a snowfall
    and there were problems. But this is the end of January, its the middle of the bleak midwinter. What
    a bunch of bloody morons, everyone is trying to blame someone else.

    Snow was forecasted for possibly Aberdeen and Grampian, East York Moors and the Southeast. They all
    got the snow. But while everybody else got on with life, stayed home, drove slower, packed the
    emergency kit once again into the vehicle, only the Southeast had problems. Traffic stopped on the
    M11 after just one inch of snowfall. Its almost as if snow had never fallen before and as if nobody
    had ever driven on snow before.

    OK so it got worse causing Stanstead to close later in the night. We dont like that but its a fact
    of daily life. That same snowfall continued into Europe, France Belgium and Netherlands according to
    CNN, for them its also inconvenient but its business as usual.

    My wonderful morning ride has now been spoilt.

    I've just heard a radio report of a RangeRover driver who overtook four slower moving cars on a long
    sweeping bend and his vehicle slid forwards over the verge through the hedge and into the field. Now
    he's blaming the local council and Jim Prescott !

    Rant over Mike

    Tags:

  2. >Now after lunch and having listened to the news I'm even more angry. The South East had a snowfall
    >and there were problems. But this is the end of January, its the middle of the bleak midwinter.
    >What a bunch of bloody morons, everyone is trying to blame someone else.

    Bunch of wimps! Softy Southerners! ;-)

    We Northerners are built of sterner stuff - well, most are - this one is coughing, wheezing &
    sneezing rather badly at the moment!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On 31 Jan 2003 16:06:37 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >Bunch of wimps! Softy Southerners! ;-)

    The correct term is "shandy drinkin' southern poofters".

    :eek:)

    Bob

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On 31 Jan 2003 16:06:37 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    >
    > >Bunch of wimps! Softy Southerners! ;-)
    >
    > The correct term is "shandy drinkin' southern poofters".

    I wouldn't necessarily come out with that phrase in the Crafty Cockney boozer in Befnall Green. Not
    if I valued my teeth anyway.

  5. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:00:59 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >Bunch of wimps! Softy Southerners! ;-)
    >>
    >> The correct term is "shandy drinkin' southern poofters".
    >
    > I wouldn't necessarily come out with that phrase in the Crafty Cockney boozer in Befnall Green.
    > Not if I valued my teeth anyway.

    Dear Agony Uncle Simon

    I find this thread most confusing. I was born in Blackpool and spent the first 16 years of my life
    in the north. At sixteen I moved to Surrey and now live in West Sussex.

    However, I drink both (rock 'ard) bitter and (southern softie) red wine. On the plus side I do not
    drink soppy white wine.

    Moreover, I have several teeth missing and will most probably lose a few more in the next few years
    due to congenital gum disease. YUK. The teeth themselves are OK but the tooth-attachment tissue
    leaves something to be desired. :-(

    So, Uncle Simon, am I a southern poofter or a rock 'ard northerner? I desperately need to know.

    Blub James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  6. "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote: ( "Call me Bob" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message ) news:[email protected]... ( > On 31 Jan 2003 16:06:37 GMT,
    [email protected] ) > (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote: ( > >Bunch of wimps! Softy
    Southerners! ;-) ) > The correct term is "shandy drinkin' southern poofters".
    ( Iwouldn't necessarily come out with that phrase in the Crafty Cockney ) boozer in Befnall
    Green. Not if I valued my teeth anyway.

    Of course "effete" belongs in there somewhere, and the regulars in the Crafty Cockney know very
    well that effete shandy drinkin' southern poofters live dahrn sarff - which starts somewhere in
    the vicinity of Woking. Coming from just south (and a long way west) of Liverpool, I've always
    considered myself to be a southerner, but they have a funny idea of geography when you get this
    far south.

  7. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I find this thread most confusing. I was born in Blackpool and spent the first 16 years of my life
    > in the north. At sixteen I moved to Surrey and now live in West Sussex.

    > So, Uncle Simon, am I a southern poofter or a rock 'ard northerner? I desperately need to know.

    I don't know, I'm confused meself now. Helen says she's a northerner from Norfolk, so my
    north/south ready reckoner has gone a bit haywire. If pressed, I would say it's what your accent
    is. Having said that, you get "professional" northerners, like Cilla Black who affect Liverpudlian
    accents and yet live in mansions in Berkshire. So I don't really know, I suppose you have traits of
    both stereotypes.

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:24:57 -0000, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't know, I'm confused meself now. Helen says she's a northerner from Norfolk, so my
    > north/south ready reckoner has gone a bit haywire. If pressed, I would say it's what your accent
    > is. Having said that, you get "professional" northerners, like Cilla Black who affect Liverpudlian
    > accents and yet live in mansions in Berkshire. So I don't really know, I suppose you have traits
    > of both stereotypes.

    Dear Uncle Simon

    Before I located to these southern-softie climes, my accent used to be a mixture of Coronation
    Street and Brookside, not that I have ever voluntarily watched either, you must understand. However,
    I must admit to having watched Neighbours in the past, but that was when I was unable to either read
    or speak following my head injury. (An excellent excuse methinks - I think I just about got away
    with that one!)

    Sadly, I do still occasionally say grass rather grars - but following these rare slips I do throw
    salt over my left shoulder and turn round three times in an anti-clockwise direction.

    Forunately, I have now become southernly normal and my accent is a rather throaty, husky Sloane-like
    public school thing - apart from those once-in-a-while grasses.

    Time for a chip-buttie-sarnie-thingy ... just to keep it real.

    Toodly pip, me old matey Anyone for cricket? Jimbo (once know as Chip Butty)

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  9. Callas

    Callas Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Snow was forecasted for possibly Aberdeen and Grampian, East York Moors and the Southeast. They
    > all got the snow. But while everybody else got on with life, stayed home, drove slower, packed the
    > emergency kit once again into the vehicle, only the Southeast had problems. Traffic stopped on the
    > M11 after just one inch of snowfall. Its almost as if snow had never fallen before and as if
    > nobody had ever driven on snow before.

    As I understand it, the problem was not the snow per se, but the extremely poor visibility bought on
    by mist, fog, low cloud and falling snow.

    --
    Callas