What are the best anti-theft tricks around?

another good idea is putting the bike in the lowest gear so if they do get thru the lock it'll give you another 2-3 seconds to catch them if you're on their tail:p

Here at the local university (Louisiana State) a lot of guys take off their saddles before the go to class. It's a bit of a hassle, but I don't believe anyone would be taking a bike without a saddle. :D

I use quick release wheels. I dont remove the wheels and I pass a cable lock through both wheels but I remove the skewers, leaving the wheels seated in the stays. It takes me 2 seconds to put them back in and I have done it so many times I get the tension right every time. But I have the satisfaction of knowing that if somebody tried to steal my bike there is a very good chance the wheels would come off.

I suppose I should put a sticker on the bike as a warning to potential thieves that injury or death could occur as a result of riding this bike. That should see me good from a legal point of view.

yo King Fisher what you may consider doing is investing some BiLocks (ASIO uses them) you can not duplicate them they have a u shaped key to unlock them they are really good I wanted to put em on my car lock but smashing a window dosnt stop em, but my way for my bikes was a chain a lock and taking my seat post out and front tire and flattening rear tire (dont forget bike pump) Ive never had no problems:)

i chose the 5 ton heat tempered chain option from the poll. my lock was an absolute monster and my bike was still taxed from hospital grounds while security staff watched. later they said they assumed someone was cutting their own bike free, because they might have lost their key. there's thinking
if it doesn't have wheels, it's broken

keep it under you!

When I'm out on my MTB its either under me or next to me.

If I do have to lock it up (pub call etc) then we all have a lock each and everybody locks their bike to each others.
If I'm on my own then I go through the wheel/frame and around a solid post or anchor point, and through the front wheel if its not in a well sighted place.

If I'm goign anywhere where I know I'll have to leave my bike for a long period of time (city commute/ meetings etc) then I take my folder and carry it with me.

King Fisher said:
Anyone ever had thier best ever bike stolen? :mad: About a year ago I had one of the best bikes I've ever had stolen from me out of my own back yard. It was a bike that I built myself from used parts that started out as a just for fun project and ended up being the fastest bike I've ever had.:eek:

My question is how does someone keep posession of thier bike without huge chains, heavy "U" locks that can be picked with a ball point pen, a bike locker, or a private security guard?

King Fisher
Mycycle Response:

Although this is not for everyone, buy a folding bike - they're easier to store and take with you!

Mycycle said:
Mycycle Response:

Although this is not for everyone, buy a folding bike - they're easier to store and take with you!
lol...or just throw your bike over your shoulder....if your really worried...i mean people will look at you funny when you do that but what can they do right? i mean iv seen people walk in a store with there bikes...so if they yell at you you just grab what you need fast buy it and get out....that is if your going in a shop or sumn

~Scott

Acquire some huffy decals, apply liberally. nuff said. Also, the best bike uglifier i know of is exterior "granite finish" paint, available from home depot. get a reddish-brown shade to look like rust.

To muddy beast: hate to say this, but as regards your sig, well, "combonation" is actually spelled "combination." please fix it. :)

lol...ok...thanks...sorry im 14 and not very good at spelling...never was so i tipically stick to AIM type lingo

~Scott

King Fisher said:
Anyone ever had thier best ever bike stolen? :mad: About a year ago I had one of the best bikes I've ever had stolen from me out of my own back yard. It was a bike that I built myself from used parts that started out as a just for fun project and ended up being the fastest bike I've ever had.:eek:

My question is how does someone keep posession of thier bike without huge chains, heavy "U" locks that can be picked with a ball point pen, a bike locker, or a private security guard?

chain it up real good
then get another chain and put it aroung the brakes levers so the brakes are down and he cant ride off with he can only carry it
if he has a car thats a diffrent story.................

i got a 10yr old commuter that has a dodgy purple sherpa rack and anodised red old skool barends.. pretty unattractive scratched frame... noone seems to look at it... but i still do chain it up with a decent combo lock

i wouldn't leave my good bikes around

I always carry my U-Lock with me. If I have to park my bike to buy something, I'll protect my belongings based on the environment. If the area is relatively safe, I'll lock my bike at the parking meter. If the area is relatively unsafe, I'll bring along my U-lock into shopping and leave my bike by the parking meter because my U-lock is more expensive than my bike.

King Fisher said:

King Fisher
Same here. My brother always built bikes and stuff. It was stolen right from behind the shed. Man! But I usually keep all my bikes in the house. I use the heavy duty crud for when I go somewhere.

I agree with anyone who says stay on your bike. If I am on a ride and I have to urinate. I either wait, or go find someplace where I can do it in public and not have people see me.

If on the rare occasion I do have to go into a store. I take my bike with me. If anybody says anything to me, I just tell them. Hey this is a 3,000 dollar bicycle (even if its not) there is no way in hell I am letting this out of my sights. I am not bothering anybody with my bike. I will be done quickly and out of your hair.

I think the best suggestion is. If you are that worried about it being stolen, then drive your car, or take public transportation.

Touch sesitive tazer under the seat so when the theif sits on it he gets blasted off. lol

Or just take the front wheel off and into stores with you and hope he's not really good a doing wheelies.

Ok, so I just plopped down a very pretty penny (and my right arm) for my new Gary Fisher bike. I live in a college dorm and I'm petrified of it getting stolen. There isn't a high theft rate of anything, much less bikes on campus. But I have a nice road bike too, and that I've never left in a bike room. I always hung it in my room. Right now my GF is in the bike room, cause i have no room for it in my dorm. Are there any locks that aren't easily broken into? I have two kryptonite 1/2" cables on it now. Should I just say **** it and try to hang it in the room? I'm not sure what to use to hold it up...

suggestions?

I always just keep my bike with me. The only time i ever left it out was when i was a at Wendy's eating something (don't remember what) and i left it right outside by the window. And I sware I would have bashed through that glass and mutilated that theif if anyone tried something funny. I also have a small light lock just for those quick little times i have to be away, and of course i take the front wheel off and put it with the rear when i lock it. (and sometimes put my seatpost with seat in my camelbak.)

Please give the guy some good advise, don't be an A**. First of all bro I am from the philippines and here stolen bikes are just a norm. Now for my advise...when a bike is stolen the thief gets away using the bike itself, so to avod this buy a SRAM POWER LINK CHAIN and whenever you have to leave your bike..pull off the chain. POWER LINK CHAINS could be taken off without a tool.

My wife is not to happy about it, but I keep mine in the house. And if I am out and about with it, it does not leave my site!!!