What did I miss on the 94.7?????

G

Reading this following article from the SuperSport website, I noticed a couple of things sounded a bit strange to me. Very nice article but read the highlighted bit...

Joburg’s Toughest Race: the Zululand perspective
By Pat Pool

Joburg’s heart of stone was, for this day anyway, a heart of pure gold.

The spectators on the route of the Pick ‘n Pay 94.7 Cycle Challenge were fully vocal as they shouted encouragement and exhortations wherever we encountered them.

The motorists that endured long and frustrating delays were mostly patient and forgiving in the face of an endless stream of bustling cyclists. Oh yes…Joburg can and did put on a tremendous event.

The logistics must have been an awesome task; there were thousands of cone markers, scores of traffic cops and hundreds of marshals on the route. The water points were well placed and well managed with music blaring and cheerleaders cheering - their enthusiastic voices and laughter promoting high spirits and inspiring extra effort.

This time of year sees Joburg in all its early summer splendour. Suburbia is a luscious green carpet with flowers blooming and shrubbery at its most magnificent. The Jacarandas and Bougainvillaea add a splash of royal colour as the city comes into view when the northern ridge is crested … the vista is breathtaking. Its no good trying to deny it, Joburg is indeed beautiful when viewed from a northern perspective in summer.

The race started like clockwork with all the batches going out on time. Each batch consisted of about 500 riders so the first few kilometers were pretty hectic as the novices weaved and lurched off their lines.

The first milestone on the route was at Teasers where a whole bunch of buck-naked beauties danced and cavorted on a makeshift stage that straddled the road. Realising that this fantasy was a recipe for disaster, I pulled myself together and concentrated on the task of avoiding catastrophe and enjoying the Cycle Challenge experience.

It’s a lumpy route with a couple of mean hills that require a fair bit of grind, but overall it’s not in the “killer” category. Certainly, if you’re not fit and haven’t done some hill training then it could be daunting. After hurtling down the drop to Zoo Lake, the hardest section of the race rises up and slaps you in the chops - the slog to the top of Hyde Park starts.

It’s a section that produced many walkers who had given up trying to pedal to the top. People were moaning and groaning, swearing and sweating and promising not to do this again. The further up the hill we rode the quieter it got. Total effort was needed to get to the top and all resources were concentrated on the final push to the crest.

From here on the hills are slight and higher speeds are available if your legs are still OK. This section takes a wiggledy piggledy route through north suburbia where gracious homes and gardens looked grand. It’s a wild ride back to Kyalami as the riders realise the worst is over and the finish is only about 30 kilometers away. Its not too long when the race track comes into view – relief and adrenaline act as a powerful motivator, the speed picks up and suddenly you’re on the Kyalami main straight.

Peripheral vision is acute as wheels loom threateningly on either side. It’s all or nothing as the chequered flag is lifted. Speed is the only obsession as legs pump and chains strain to turn the back wheel just that little bit quicker.

The line is crossed…the flag is furiously waved and the smell of rubber is thick in the air as someone comes rushing forward brandishing a fire extinguisher. Was it Phil Liggett who rammed a mike in my face and demanded how the race went? I don’t know.

Elated, I slipped away with Ruby to savour the moment…Joburgs toughest race for the world’s toughest people was over. As a Zululander, I felt particularly satisfied with a race time of 3:25. The feared altitude did not have any effect on my performance and the hills were surprisingly, not that nasty.

Although we don’t have hills in Richards Bay, our cyclists do have attitude and fire in their hearts. It’s these qualities that see riders like Sean Merridew, Jackie van Eeden and others competing with the very best in the country.

So yes, it was a great experience and a fine event. Next year maybe more of you will join Ron and myself at the 2002 Joburg national classic. In the meantime, you’re also welcome to join the Beneke Zululand Cycling Club where both social and serious cycling is catered for and where you can get good training for races and better performances.
PLease tell me I didn't miss the show... ;D

Another bit that didn't make sense:
"After hurtling down the drop to Zoo Lake, the hardest section of the race rises up and slaps you in the chops - the slog to the top of Hyde Park starts."

Hmmmm.........??? ???????

Maybe the Zoo lake before Hyde Park Hill was the pool of sweat cnr William Nicol and Sandton Drive. Otherwise the writer was doing the route backwards (But then there's no hill ???)

I have heard that a decrease in glucose supply to the brain can cause confusion ;)

Maybe we should contact Teazers for a rematch ;D

The first milestone on the route was at Teasers where a whole bunch of buck-naked beauties danced and cavorted on a makeshift stage that straddled the road. Realising that this fantasy was a recipe for disaster, I pulled myself together and concentrated on the task of avoiding catastrophe and enjoying the Cycle Challenge experience.

I am seriously peeved! How could I have missed THAT?
I always miss the good stuff! aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhttp://www.plauder-smilies.de/scr
eams.gifhttp://www.plauder-smilies.de/******.gifhttp://www
.plauder-smilies.de/madgo.gifhttp://www.plauder-smilies.de/bounce/ukl
iam3.gif

I think the keywords here are:

"Realising that this fantasy" ;)

eiiiish, I also missed the show at Teasers. But next year, I am gonna make sure that my eyes are open and I will finish the race in 6hrs ??? ::)

I'm sure this dude smoked it up before the race!

See'ing naked ladies, hurtling down the Zoo Lake section before starting the climb up Alpe D' Hyde? hmmm...dis stuff makeen mah head go funnee mahn!
rotaeye.gif

eiiiish, I also missed the show at Teasers. But next year, I am gonna make sure that my eyes are open and I will finish the race in 6hrs ??? ::)

...or stop there for a looooooong water break!

;D ;D ;D Maybe next year there will be a show for our ladies? ;D ;D
They always cater just for the men, look at the Argus for instance. :( :(

Hey Roadster, whatya complaining about? Of the 35 000 cyclists at the Argus, 20 000 are men? Ain't that enough? ;D

Did someone mention naked ladies?

*wonders how much the entry fee is*

Did someone mention naked ladies?  

*wonders how much the entry fee is*

hehe you'll have to wait until next year admin!
Just pay for your flight ticket, once over here in SA, we will supply:

• Possi to sleep
  • Munchies
  • Beverages
    beerchug.gif
  • Transport

Don't forget ya bike
bigok.gif

;D ;D ;D Maybe next year there will be a show for our ladies? ;D ;D
They always cater just for the men, look at the Argus for instance. :( :(

But the ladies get to look at guys legs and lycra clad butts for the whole race. ;D

Hey Roadster, whatya complaining about? Of the 35 000 cyclists at the Argus, 20 000 are men? Ain't that enough? ;D

Were there really that many ladies? I'm sure they only make up about 20 - 30% in most races.

Wild guess! Even so, there are more than enough guys for Roadster to gawk at. In a bunch of 30 cyclists, there are usually only two or three gals. No good.

But the ladies get to look at guys legs and lycra clad butts for the whole race. ;D

:p :p Mmmmm, and don't some have great legs to look at!!!!! But it would rather be interesting to have, say maybe the Chippendales, to give us ladies moral support up Ou Kaapse Weg? ;D What do all the other ladies think, or am I the only one on this BB?

:p :p Mmmmm, and don't some have great legs to look at!!!!!  But it would rather be interesting to have, say maybe the Chippendales, to give us ladies moral support up Ou Kaapse Weg? ;D  What do all the other ladies think, or am I the only one on this BB?
You're definitely not the only one. I know because my I have a female friend who has registered here (wish she would post!!!) who cycle just to look at guys legs and butts.

Just something I remembered..... during this years Argus, I was riding in a fairly big bunch near Fishhoek... there was a young lady standing on the side of the road who flashed us as we went past (+-35kph). Needless to say the entire bunch nearly came down when this happened.... It's nice to have supporters don't you think ........ ;) ;D

Tomorow (Saturday 01/12/01). 18h00 M-NET. 1 hour highlights package from the 94.7.

Maybe they'll show a glimpse of the ......uhhmmmm.....teazers ladies. :D