What is a good average speed for a road bike?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gavin Will, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Gavin Will

    Gavin Will Guest

    Hello,

    What is a good average speed for a road bike over say 15 miles? I have done 200 miles on my
    Edinburgh Continental (V good bike BTW) and my computer says that my average is 17.2 mph is this any
    good, what averages would you get in a bike part of a triathlon? or on a full on 20 mile cycle? How
    can I best improve my times? any help would be appreciated, cheers

    gavinwill

    Tags:

  2. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On 16 Jun 2003 01:08:23 -0700, [email protected] (Gavin Will) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >What is a good average speed for a road bike over say 15 miles? I have done 200 miles on my
    >Edinburgh Continental (V good bike BTW) and my computer says that my average is 17.2 mph is this
    >any good, what averages would you get in a bike part of a triathlon? or on a full on 20 mile cycle?

    It depends on the terrain, wind and other factors. 17.2 mph is very respectable for a 200 mile ride,
    or is that your accumulated mileage and average? Average speed is also reduced hugely by riding in
    urban conditions.

    As a rough guide, up to about 18 mph is leisurely. 20 mph (known as evens) is where racing speeds
    begin, 25 mph (maintained) is a serious racing speed. Good triathletes go just about as fast as good
    racing cyclists. Racing cyclists co-operating in a group will go faster than a rider of similar
    ability on his own.

    --
    Dave...

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Gavin Will" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > What is a good average speed for a road bike over say 15 miles? I have done 200 miles on my
    > Edinburgh Continental (V good bike BTW) and my computer says that my average is 17.2 mph is this
    > any good, what averages would you get in a bike part of a triathlon? or on a full on 20 mile
    > cycle? How can I best improve my times? any help would be appreciated, cheers

    Its better than me but not as good as Lance Armstrong.

    It depends on what you are trying to do. If you are a speed freak it might not be good enough so you
    will need to train hard to improve. If you just enjoy cycling for the fun of it who cares what speed
    you are doing.

    It also depends on what terrain you are cycling. My average in the Fens or in parts of Holland is
    significantly higher than 17. In the hills I struggle to do half that.

  4. 2LAP

    2LAP New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2002
    Messages:
    1,265
    Whats a good average speed for a road bike?

    Well I left my new stead in the garden last night and when I got up this morning it hadn't done any miles and the average speed was 0. Perhaps it doesn't like going out in the dark!

    I guess that anything over 0 miles.hour-1 is a good average speed for a road bike. I knew I should have bought a TREK.

    ____________________
    www.cyclingforums.com

  5. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "2LAP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Whats a good average speed for a road bike?
    >
    > Well I left my new stead in the garden last night and when I got up this morning it hadn't done
    > any miles and the average speed was 0. Perhaps it doesn't like going out in the dark!
    >
    > I guess that anything over 0 miles.hour-1 is a good average speed for a road bike. I knew I should
    > have bought a TREK.

    Personally speaking..I'm happy when I achieve 38kph over 40 kilometres.

    Mark

  6. Phil Bixby

    Phil Bixby Guest

    Well, personal experience, as a 40-something starting "serious" cycling after years just pootling
    around town.

    When I started last autumn I was averaging about 14-15mph over rides between 15-25 miles. I kept
    plodding away through the winter, gradually doing slightly more miles and trying to do somewhere
    between 50 and 100 a week. Speeds crept up through 16ish, 18ish to current average of about
    20-21mph on 30-50 miles rides depending on hills and wind (meteorological, not personal). Not sure
    where this puts me in relation to the local chain gang roadies but it's satisfying progress and
    corblimey I feel better for it. Pushing hard now involves less suffering and more feeling of having
    a bit in reserve.

    So... for more speed, get out there and ride! It's worth it :eek:)

    Phil Bixby York, UK

    "Gavin Will" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > What is a good average speed for a road bike over say 15 miles? I have done 200 miles on my
    > Edinburgh Continental (V good bike BTW) and my computer says that my average is 17.2 mph is this
    > any good, what averages would you get in a bike part of a triathlon? or on a full on 20 mile
    > cycle? How can I best improve my times? any help would be appreciated, cheers
    >
    > gavinwill

  7. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Phil Bixby <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Speeds crept up through 16ish, 18ish to current average of about 20-21mph on 30-50 miles rides
    : depending on hills and wind (meteorological, not personal). Not sure where this puts me in
    : relation to the local chain gang roadies

    : Phil Bixby York, UK

    Well up with us :) What sort of bike is this on?

    If you fancy coming along on some group rides then get in touch - you'd have no problems.

    Arthur (Clifton CC, York. www.cliftoncc.org)

    Lord Lester

  8. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    "Gavin Will" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > What is a good average speed for a road bike over say 15 miles? I have done 200 miles on my
    > Edinburgh Continental (V good bike BTW) and my computer says that my average is 17.2 mph is this
    > any good,
    Depends on the route ... how hilly is it? All the best Dan Gregory