What Is The Deal With The Top Tube Protection

defeattheapexbat

Jul 4, 2015
I have noticed some people using some kind of pads around their bikes top tube. Why is this needed? or in what way is this useful? I think I have seem made it out of leather, and rubber.
What is the story behind it?
Thank you in advance for the education on this topic.

I have noticed it on kids bikes which I assume is 80% swag and 20% safety. Is that what you mean? If not, can you post an image?

It protects the top tube if the handlebars hit it. Also a long one can be handy when leaning a bike against a pole to lock up.

When I was a kid, I had a black "dirt" bike. It was my first bike with a level top tube (wasn't step through or a tricycle). My dad put pipe insulation on there that he wrapped with black electrical tape to match the color of the bike because I was worried I'd not know how to dismount correctly and rack myself.

I have an aunt who, ever since I've known her, has lived with clear plastic slipcovers on her furniture. This is the cycling equivalent of that!

Dent protection. When the bar comes around into the bare Reynolds or Columbus top tube of a track bike hilarity does not ensue. I've been wrapping the TT of some of my bikes with two turns of padded bar tape for 40+ years.

002-5.jpg