what is this shifter model

didds

Guest
quick query - my son's bike's rear derailleaur shifter is broken
(won't shift at all) leaving said bike in the lowest cog.

Here's a (poor!) picture of the shifter

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=955820&l=81401&id=620385517

can anyone identify what "model" of shifter it is so i can get a
replacement (?) to fix it.

Alternatively, is there something "obvious" that I can do to mend it
(I am very new to all of this!).

cheers

ian

"didds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> quick query - my son's bike's rear derailleaur shifter is broken
> (won't shift at all) leaving said bike in the lowest cog.
>
> Here's a (poor!) picture of the shifter
>
> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=955820&l=81401&id=620385517
>
> can anyone identify what "model" of shifter it is so i can get a
> replacement (?) to fix it.
>
> Alternatively, is there something "obvious" that I can do to mend it
> (I am very new to all of this!).
>
> cheers
>
> ian

It says it is a Shimano SIS 5 speed which must be quite old. Are you sure
it is the shifter - disconnect cable at other end? Could be the cable, or
the spring in the derailleur itself. In your shoes I would go to my local
bike shop - it won't cost a lot.

Geoff Pearson wrote:
> "didds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> quick query - my son's bike's rear derailleaur shifter is broken
>> (won't shift at all) leaving said bike in the lowest cog.
>>
>> Here's a (poor!) picture of the shifter
>>
>> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=955820&l=81401&id=620385517
>>
>> can anyone identify what "model" of shifter it is so i can get a
>> replacement (?) to fix it.
>>
>> Alternatively, is there something "obvious" that I can do to mend it
>> (I am very new to all of this!).
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> ian

> It says it is a Shimano SIS 5 speed which must be quite old.

Or a cheap bike. Older designs seem to kick around on cheap models for
decades after they have vanished from posher models.

Any 5-speed shifter will fit (assuming as Geoff questions it is the shifter
and not cable or bent at derailleur at back wheel), a local bike shop which
does repairs should be able to help. Worst case, a friction based shifter
will work.

> Are you
> sure it is the shifter - disconnect cable at other end? Could be the
> cable, or the spring in the derailleur itself. In your shoes I would
> go to my local bike shop - it won't cost a lot.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 01:36:46 -0700 (PDT)
didds <[email protected]> wrote:

> quick query - my son's bike's rear derailleaur shifter is broken
> (won't shift at all) leaving said bike in the lowest cog.
>
> Here's a (poor!) picture of the shifter
>
> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=955820&l=81401&id=620385517
>
> can anyone identify what "model" of shifter it is so i can get a
> replacement (?) to fix it.

No idea, sorry.

> Alternatively, is there something "obvious" that I can do to mend it

Unhook the cable casings where they're attached to the frame stops and
make sure they slide freely over the inner cable (pushing the rear
mech in/out depending on type will give you some slack, you may also
need to screw in the adjusters on the mech and lever). If they don't
then pull on the inner cable where it leaves the lever and try
operating the lever. Often the cable will be seized but the shifter is
OK, so just replace the cable (inner and outers).