Shifter Indicator

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by muzz, Jun 12, 2008.

  1. muzz

    muzz Guest

    After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter the
    wee red indicator doesn't work properly anymore. It goes all the way
    down but whilst you can shift right up to the granny ring the indicator
    can only manage half the journey.
    Can I get in about it to sort it ?

    Tags:

  2. muzz <[email protected]> writes:

    > After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter

    My MTB has Deore complete with silly indicators. The first time I
    turned the bike upside down while cleaning and doing other maintenance
    mud got in and rendered the plastic windows therein opaque.

    Jon

  3. muzz

    muzz Guest

    Jonathan Schneider wrote:
    > muzz <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter

    > My MTB has Deore complete with silly indicators. The first time I
    > turned the bike upside down while cleaning and doing other maintenance
    > mud got in and rendered the plastic windows therein opaque.
    >
    > Jon

    Aye Jon, I used to regard them as pretty useless but after riding more
    and more technical trails I have come to rely on looking at them.

  4. Steve C

    Steve C Guest

    muzz wrote:
    > After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter the
    > wee red indicator doesn't work properly anymore. It goes all the way
    > down but whilst you can shift right up to the granny ring the indicator
    > can only manage half the journey.
    > Can I get in about it to sort it ?

    You can dismantle them fairly easily. Maybe the spring has worked loose?

  5. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    muzz wrote:
    > After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter the
    > wee red indicator doesn't work properly anymore. It goes all the way
    > down but whilst you can shift right up to the granny ring the indicator
    > can only manage half the journey.
    > Can I get in about it to sort it ?

    Did you move the shifter to the loosest position (ie, the smallest cog
    if we're talking about the rear shifter) before fitting the new cable?
    It's necessary to get the cable end bedded all the way into the
    mechanism, otherwise you get the condition you describe. Try doing it
    over again and spending a moment or two to ensure that the end "barrel"
    is as far in as possible.

    --
    Brian G
    www.wetwo.co.uk

  6. muzz

    muzz Guest

    Brian G wrote:
    > muzz wrote:
    >> After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter
    >> the wee red indicator doesn't work properly anymore. It goes all the
    >> way down but whilst you can shift right up to the granny ring the
    >> indicator can only manage half the journey.
    >> Can I get in about it to sort it ?

    > Did you move the shifter to the loosest position (ie, the smallest cog
    > if we're talking about the rear shifter) before fitting the new cable?
    > It's necessary to get the cable end bedded all the way into the
    > mechanism, otherwise you get the condition you describe. Try doing it
    > over again and spending a moment or two to ensure that the end "barrel"
    > is as far in as possible.

    Yes I've done this sort of thing a few times without this happening.
    I'll refit it though and if necessary open it up.