Shifter Indicator



M

muzz

Guest
After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter the
wee red indicator doesn't work properly anymore. It goes all the way
down but whilst you can shift right up to the granny ring the indicator
can only manage half the journey.
Can I get in about it to sort it ?
 
J

Jonathan Schneider

Guest
muzz <[email protected]> writes:

> After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter


My MTB has Deore complete with silly indicators. The first time I
turned the bike upside down while cleaning and doing other maintenance
mud got in and rendered the plastic windows therein opaque.

Jon
 
M

muzz

Guest
Jonathan Schneider wrote:
> muzz <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter

>
> My MTB has Deore complete with silly indicators. The first time I
> turned the bike upside down while cleaning and doing other maintenance
> mud got in and rendered the plastic windows therein opaque.
>
> Jon

Aye Jon, I used to regard them as pretty useless but after riding more
and more technical trails I have come to rely on looking at them.
 
S

Steve C

Guest
muzz wrote:
> After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter the
> wee red indicator doesn't work properly anymore. It goes all the way
> down but whilst you can shift right up to the granny ring the indicator
> can only manage half the journey.
> Can I get in about it to sort it ?


You can dismantle them fairly easily. Maybe the spring has worked loose?
 
B

Brian G

Guest
muzz wrote:
> After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter the
> wee red indicator doesn't work properly anymore. It goes all the way
> down but whilst you can shift right up to the granny ring the indicator
> can only manage half the journey.
> Can I get in about it to sort it ?


Did you move the shifter to the loosest position (ie, the smallest cog
if we're talking about the rear shifter) before fitting the new cable?
It's necessary to get the cable end bedded all the way into the
mechanism, otherwise you get the condition you describe. Try doing it
over again and spending a moment or two to ensure that the end "barrel"
is as far in as possible.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk
 
M

muzz

Guest
Brian G wrote:
> muzz wrote:
>> After replacing the gear cable on a Deore 9 speed rapidfire shifter
>> the wee red indicator doesn't work properly anymore. It goes all the
>> way down but whilst you can shift right up to the granny ring the
>> indicator can only manage half the journey.
>> Can I get in about it to sort it ?

>
> Did you move the shifter to the loosest position (ie, the smallest cog
> if we're talking about the rear shifter) before fitting the new cable?
> It's necessary to get the cable end bedded all the way into the
> mechanism, otherwise you get the condition you describe. Try doing it
> over again and spending a moment or two to ensure that the end "barrel"
> is as far in as possible.
>

Yes I've done this sort of thing a few times without this happening.
I'll refit it though and if necessary open it up.