What road tires do you Recomend?

40thvette

Feb 22, 2010
Hi Guys, I am in need of a new set of tires.

I just replaced them last summer & probably only have 700 miles on them. I bought what my local store had in stock. They are Panasonic panaracer.
23X700 What I do like about them is they can be inflated up to 150psi, however I usually run 130psi

What I don't like, is I just got another flat last night. This time it was just a stone that I must have hit just right, but it left a pretty good cut in it. This is my third flat.
Last time it was a small piece of glass. Love changing a tube on the side of a county road.:(

What do you run & recommend? Seems like a limited selection locally for me.

Why do you need such high pressure tires?

I bought 2 pairs of Kenda Konstrictors because they were on sale from $40 to only $18 after I had used the Conti Gatorskins. The Conti's were ok but they cut easily and the sidewalls were not very durable nor lasted long in mileage, but otherwise flat protection was good. The Kenda's I've only used them on the road now 4 times with a total of about 145 miles and so far no cuts; the sidewalls are way more durable then the Conti's but that also makes them difficult to install because their stiff. Both the Conti's and the Kenda's were/are folding tires and both weighed about the same though Kenda's claims their's are a tad lighter but I have not weighed them. The Kenda's have a higher rated psi at 125 vs 120 but I only put 110 because I weigh 163.

The sale of $18 is still on at: KENDA KONSTRICTOR FOLDING BEAD ROAD TIRE at JensonUSA.com

40thvette said:

I just replaced them last summer & probably only have 700 miles on them. I bought what my local store had in stock. They are Panasonic panaracer.
23X700 What I do like about them is they can be inflated up to 150psi, however I usually run 130psi

What I don't like, is I just got another flat last night. This time it was just a stone that I must have hit just right, but it left a pretty good cut in it. This is my third flat.
Last time it was a small piece of glass. Love changing a tube on the side of a county road.:(

Instead of new tires, lower the air pressure to 90-95 psi front, 100-105 psi rear . . . I guarantee you'll get fewer flats . . . not to mention a smoother ride and more traction in the corners. (And, you're rolling resistance may actually be a be LESS as well.)

I've used Michelin Kyrlions, Specialized Armadillos and Vittoria Rubino Pros. All Pretty good tyres. The Krylions lasted a fair while but suffered in the wet and would slice easily, same with the Rubinos. I disliked riding in wet weather with those tyres. The toughest of the lot were definitely the Armadillos. I could ride them in the wet with no issues at all. Very durable Training tyre. In the dry No real issues with any of those tyres.

anonimo said:
Instead of new tires, lower the air pressure to 90-95 psi front, 100-105 psi rear . . . I guarantee you'll get fewer flats . . . not to mention a smoother ride and more traction in the corners. (And, you're rolling resistance may actually be a be LESS as well.)

There was a tread in just the past few weeks where tire pressure and rolling resistance was discussed, somebody posted a link to a study on that subject, but I don't remember who posted it. The jist was that over inflating your tires can actually reduce overall performance, including rolling resistance.

I've been using Bontrager Racelite Hardcase tires for several years and have had very good luck with them, and I've always said they are very puncture proof, but don't get very good cornering traction.

I had always run them at their maximum air pressure of 120 PSI because I believed that would give me the least rolling resistance based on what I had heard at a bike shop.

After reading that thread a few weeks ago, I dropped the front tire to 95 PSI and the back to 105 PSI. I don't have any way to measure rolling resistance and only time will tell what effect it will have on puncture resistance.....but I could tell the difference in comfort and cornering ability the first time I rode that way.

It made my 26 year old C-Dale corner like I remember it doing years ago, and it made the overall ride less harsh which is a good thing on that old bike. I don't think reducing the air pressure made me any faster, nor do I think it made me any slower, I use the average speed from my bike computer to judge how I do and I didn't see a significant change.

I have run 3 tires:
Michelin pro 3's
continental gatorskins
Vitoria diamante Pro 2

I started with the continental gatorskins. didn't really feel much of a difference. sidewall blew out on me in less than a month. took it back to my LBS and they gave me a new one. 1 week later, that one blew out. I was done with continental.

switched to michelin pro 3's, noticed a difference in feel right away. felt lighter, stickier, but I got a lot of flats and they cut easily. I had a huge cut in on about 2 months ago and needed a new set of tires. I had heard a lot of good things about vitorria so I wanted to giuve them a go.

Vitorria Diamante pro 2 tire feels great. just as sticky as the pro 3's IMO and haven't had a flat since. I washed the bike and tires yesterday, did an inspection and I have zero cuts. so far I like em.

By buddy just grabbed a set of Serface tires. LOVES them, cheap, durable, gets you from A to B. not much more you can ask for out of a $22 tire!

as far as tire pressure, I was the same as paramount. My pro 3's maxed at 125 and my vitorria's at 145psi so I figured thats what I was supposed to have them at. I read some studies and lowered my psi on my vitorria's to 120 rear 110 front and have noticed a difference in comfort as well as cornering ability. maybe that is why I had so many flats on my michelins?

This might be the web site you were looking for: Tire pressure (Jobst Brandt)

The following is from Sheldon Brown: "Rolling resistance" is the mechanical friction generated as the tire rolls. As a segment of the tire tread rolls into contact with the road, it deforms from its normal curved shape into a flat shape against the road, then back to the curve as the tire rolls onward. The deformation of the rubber in this process is what causes the friction.
There are two ways to reduce this friction, each subject to trade-offs:

The thinner and softer the rubber/fabric of the tire are, the more flexible they become.
The trade-off with this is that the thinner the tire gets, the more fragile it is, and the sooner it will wear out.

The higher the air pressure, the less the tire will deflect.
The trade-off with this is that if you pump the tire up too hard, you lose the benefits of pneumatic tires: the ride becomes excessively harsh, and traction will be reduced. In addition, extremely high pressures require a stronger (heavier) fabric and stronger (heavier) rim flanges.

Rolling resistance does decrease theoretically with any increase in pressure, but with modern, high-quality tires the rolling resistance at correct inflation pressure is already so low that the infinitesimal reductions gained are more than outweighed by the trade-offs." end

The only reason you would want to run the max rated pressure on your tires is if your a Clydesdale thus the tire needs the pressure to handle the load, this is assuming we're discussing 700x20 to 25 tires. Wider touring type of tires take the extra weight of touring gear into consideration, thus if you have wider tires and no touring gear then again you don't need max psi's.
Thus in summary a heavier rider needs higher psi's then a lighter rider on the same tire.

Like I stated earlier I only weigh 163 thus my rear psi is 110 on a 125psi rated Kenda Konstrictor tire, on the front I put in 100.

I also use Latex tubes which according to tests I've seen have lower rolling resistance then butyl, but it's a difference that I can't really tell but supposedly it's there; I use latex because they feel smoother and more comfortable, the sharp bang of broken pavement is reduce quite a bit, and chip and seal roads are less buzzy. This is the same reason people like to ride tubulars, which high end tubs use latex for the tube, you can pump them to 140psi yet will feel like a clincher with 70psi. Latex tubes cost a bit more then the cheaper low end Butyl tubes but almost the same as high end racing butyl. Latex does loose about 20psi overnight, but racing butyl tubes will loose about 10, either way your going to have to put air into both to ride the next day.

40thvette said:

I only use vittoria rubino pro 'cause they are comfortable, and the cornering is great. I'm 162lbs now and i run my tires at 130-140 psi (they are rated lowest 100psi 145 highest, says so on the sidewall) however i used to run the same pressures 10 months ago when i was 198lbs and I've never had problems in the rain while cornering i don't take them as fast when wet but still at pretty good speeds for the conditions. they don't cut or get flats easily. and they come in all colors i run them white on my orbea and red on my old cannondale. oh and they last forever over 2000 miles on the red ones and over 1000 on the white ones.:D

bianchi10 said:
I have run 3 tires:
Michelin pro 3's
continental gatorskins
Vitoria diamante Pro 2

I started with the continental gatorskins. didn't really feel much of a difference. sidewall blew out on me in less than a month. took it back to my LBS and they gave me a new one. 1 week later, that one blew out. I was done with continental.

switched to michelin pro 3's, noticed a difference in feel right away. felt lighter, stickier, but I got a lot of flats and they cut easily. I had a huge cut in on about 2 months ago and needed a new set of tires. I had heard a lot of good things about vitorria so I wanted to giuve them a go.

Vitorria Diamante pro 2 tire feels great. just as sticky as the pro 3's IMO and haven't had a flat since. I washed the bike and tires yesterday, did an inspection and I have zero cuts. so far I like em.

Sounds like a bad batch of Gatorskins or a bad road for flats.

Gatorskins are not a training tyre so should feel significantly different to anything lighter like a Pro 3.
I had Continental Attack/Force for a while but the Attack got ripped to shreds on a cycle path. I switched it out for a Gatorskin on my training wheels and haven't had a flat since. My race wheels have GP4000s and I'm loving the black Chilli compound. fastest tyres I've had. Tried Diamante's but got too many flats.

I have to cover some glass strewn roads/paths to get out of the city onto country roads and the Gatorskins have been a life saver for training. Noticeably fewer flats when using them (one every 3 oth or so compared to one every other week) .

Training Gatorskins
Racing GP4000s

Tis is a useful guide from their website:

Continental Cycle Tyres UK

bianchi10 said:
I have run 3 tires:
Michelin pro 3's
continental gatorskins
Vitoria diamante Pro 2

Gatorskins are not a training tyre so should feel significantly different to anything lighter like a Pro 3.
I had Continental Attack/Force for a while but the Attack got ripped to shreds on a cycle path. I switched it out for a Gatorskin on my training wheels and haven't had a flat since. My race wheels have GP4000s and I'm loving the black Chilli compound. fastest tyres I've had. Tried Diamante's but got too many flats.

I have to cover some glass strewn roads/paths to get out of the city onto country roads and the Gatorskins have been a life saver for training. Noticeably fewer flats when using them (one every 3 months or so compared to one every other week) .

Training Gatorskins
Racing GP4000s

This is a useful guide from their website:

Yonni said:

Tis is a useful guide from their website:

Actually the poster is correct, Gatorskins sidewalls are thin and fragile subject to easy penetration or tears. They were worthless in the Desert areas of California where Goatheads made Gatorskins for dinner; I that area one Gatorskin lasted 1 week, and the other a whole 2 weeks. Then when I moved from Goathead country I tried them here in Indiana, the sidewalls got damaged and destroyed the tires...but being a more tame area they did last about 3 months with 5 flats. I don't know about you, but spending $49 for a tire that last less then 1500 miles seems a little insane!!

So far the Kenda Konstrictors that I bought are still going strong, but their only a month old now with about 400 miles on them so it's still early to tell the whole story, but not too early to tell you that I've ran over bits of glass and all other sorts of **** and no flats, not even a cut.

Wow! Maybe it's a climate thing? Here in Scotland I've had my gatorskins for 3 seasons on the winter bike and they are the training tyre of choice for many tri & roadies that I've met. Still, if they don't work for you there's no point in persisting.

Anyone compared Pro3 to the GP4000s?