What tires are you riding on?

pottsman21

Jul 10, 2011
Looking for some new tires with low rolling resistance. Currently using 700 23cc specialized armadillo all conditions. Great tires (1 flat in 2000 miles) but are heavy and don't seem to roll that great. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my favorites are:
Fast/Performance riding;;
Vottoria Pave's (700x24) clincher for every day tubulars for "special" they have a smooth ride, very few flats, good mileage, corner welll, round profile
Budget version is the Challange Gara similar ride qualities as the Vittorias but not quite as durable but close to half the price (700x23,25,28
I would possibly ride the CX (700x23) if the roads here were smoother or I were racing. and If I could afford them I would ride silk tubulars a lot
Utilitiy/Touring/Trainning- Panaracer Paribia foldable flat resistant version- surprising performance and smooth ride for tire type and cost- various sizes

My buddy loved the Continental 4000S 700C X 23 until I convinced him to try a 25 he won't try the Pave' as he had "issues" with some lower line performance Vittorias as have I ( contis are toogh very good tires but don't ride as smooth as Vittorias)

(In general look for a flexible casing or sidewall )

Bike came with 700X35 Kena. Better then 1000 miles and 15 months later, no problems. Had my reservations in that they're made in China.

Specialized Armadillo are heavy duty but not fast and supple at all. The tires tend to get less durable and less puncture resistance as they are getting faster, roll better, get more supple etc. So it''s a trade-off. I always think that the $$$ bikes/wheels we ride on deserve good if not great tires; no reason to go cheap on the tires and possibly spend $$$ on fixing gear, medical bills, time off work, or the dentist /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif. So pick the best tire with an acceptable level of puncture resistance for your roads and durability and price for your pocket. Width is a matter of trend, weights, clearance between the seatstays, aero, seasonal conditions, road types, ... 22-23 is typical. 25 is good for winter season and heavy riders. Some insist that wider has lower rolling resistance. Narrower is more aero on appropriate rims, Etc, Etc. Conti GP 4000S is a great universal tire. Good, well, very good, in every aspect but not great in any - this means perfect for most of the riders. Not too sexy IMHO. There are other good, great, and bad ones. But a move from Armadillos will be easy as long as you don't care much about heavy durability and maybe top level puncture resistance. GP 400S will be great. Michelin PRO 4 SC or SC Enduro will be good too. Schwalbe Ultremo DD will be great. Vittoria Corsa CX II or Ultremo ZX or Veloflex Corsa will be fast but you will do no more than 2.5K miles on them. Many many options. Some are better in this and others in that. Among equals it's often a matter of personal preferences as there are so many great tires. But there are also bad ones so do some research. Cheers

Currently riding Conti 4-seasons. Nice combo of fast roll and puncture protection.

Vittoria CX's are my next favorite choice.

Always pressured up with latex innies.