What to ride when cycling with my wife?

bbm1959

Jan 18, 2010
I'm a fifty something avid road bike living in Florida. I'll knock off 20 -30 miles each morning on my road bike. I'd like to ride with my wife on occasion. She's got a tank of of bike, pedal forward, that she loves. It's like the turtle and the hare when we ride together. Then we have these two dogs with a combined weight of nearly 50 lbs. I'd love to toss them in a trailer and pull them behind. WON'T put a trailer on the roadbike. What should I be riding to pull the trailer; hybrid, cross, mountain? It's all on road riding, very flat.

I think that I would go with the mtb, but make it a hard tail. The drive train will take the extra weight and it will give you lower gearing to use. In addition, if you have the urge to leave the dogs at home and ride a real trail, then you have the bike for it.

I'm in the exact same circumstance as you.

I ride a mountain bike with the missus.

I've also set it up for touring, panniers etc. We load it up for picnics, outdoor concerts, shopping, whatever.

When I want a workout, with her, outdoors, I ride on the grass.

That's two votes for a mountain bike. Going to rent a trailer in the coming weeks and see if the dogs enjoy it! Appreciate you input guys

Another moutain bike vote here, I pull a trailer with two kids in it behind one I have when we go riding as a family.