What type of bike do you commute to work on

What do you guys think of this for a foul weather commuter? go to Amazon and search on "cadillac AV-8". That's not a bad price just for the wheels.

garage sale GT said:
What do you guys think of this for a foul weather commuter? go to Amazon and search on "cadillac AV-8". That's not a bad price just for the wheels.
well, it looks ok but I have to wonder about a couple of things. The backrest for example, it doesn't look like it would do anything and I have a perfectly good hybrid from an LBS for less that I would trust more than what I see in the pic...

I also wonder about the quality of something with the name given by a car manufacturer... it kind of implies a cheapie give away gimmick to sell cars.

e0richt said:
well, it looks ok but I have to wonder about a couple of things. The backrest for example, it doesn't look like it would do anything and I have a perfectly good hybrid from an LBS for less that I would trust more than what I see in the pic...

I also wonder about the quality of something with the name given by a car manufacturer... it kind of implies a cheapie give away gimmick to sell cars.
Sure, but this thing has drum brakes front and rear, and a Sturmey 8-speed internal gear hub.

garage sale GT said:
Sure, but this thing has drum brakes front and rear, and a Sturmey 8-speed internal gear hub.
yeah, I re-looked at the description and it does have drum brakes and internal gear hub which is good. Not only that, there are some good reviews about the product (which would make me feel better about it...)

can you put fenders and/or a rack without the seat stays?

it seems like a good deal. If you get it, I sure would welcome a "review" post from you... :)

e0richt said:
yeah, I re-looked at the description and it does have drum brakes and internal gear hub which is good. Not only that, there are some good reviews about the product (which would make me feel better about it...)

can you put fenders and/or a rack without the seat stays?

it seems like a good deal. If you get it, I sure would welcome a "review" post from you... :)[/QUOTE

It's in transit now, should be here tomorrow.

Did my regular 11 mile commute to school as well as some other rides on my Caddy AV-8 Bike DeVille. In my opinion it is substantially as fast as a slick tire MTB. I'm sure a derailleur bike would show a slight advantage if you timed several rides on each bike with a stopwatch, but you can't feel a difference.

Very smooth hub, no sense of drag or lumpy gears. You do have to learn to pedal in circles and use a bit higer cadence to keep the suspension from rocking but it's no big deal and those are good habits for any bike. My "Brougham" is now my commuter of choice.

garage sale GT said:
Did my regular 11 mile commute to school as well as some other rides on my Caddy AV-8 Bike DeVille. In my opinion it is substantially as fast as a slick tire MTB. I'm sure a derailleur bike would show a slight advantage if you timed several rides on each bike with a stopwatch, but you can't feel a difference.

Very smooth hub, no sense of drag or lumpy gears. You do have to learn to pedal in circles and use a bit higer cadence to keep the suspension from rocking but it's no big deal and those are good habits for any bike. My "Brougham" is now my commuter of choice.
can you give more specs on the "Brougham" as I am not familiar with that type of bike...?

garage sale GT said:

except for that seat shock, it sounds like a pretty good bike. I wouldn't be able to get past that shock though... I don't think I would like bobbing back and forth because of how I peddle...

e0richt said:
can you give more specs on the "Brougham" as I am not familiar with that type of bike...?
"Hi, I'm e0richt! I think I'll steal the fire from GT's joke by pretending I think a brougham is actually a bike!!!
rofl2.gif
"

Two are early 1980's touring bikes (one with fenders, one without). They are great rides.

I bought the Bianchi Milano for the Nexus 8 and enclosed roller brake. I bought it for winter commuting but it already has 600 miles on it.

Trek 7300 hybrid. On a 43 mile loop. I've gotten in great shape pushing this bike....but I'd like to get a lighter, 'road' bike.

kokomo61 said:
Trek 7300 hybrid. On a 43 mile loop. I've gotten in great shape pushing this bike....but I'd like to get a lighter, 'road' bike.
Old Raleigh firefly mtb (90's cheapy), its quite heavy but when your 19 stone an extra couple of kg dont make much difference :)

dmsantam said:
Surly Long Haul Trucker, rear panniers, schmidt dynamo and euro trekking bars.

My brother, I thought I was the only one!
I am amazed at how utterly spiffy these bikes are.

IMG_2113.jpg

I do about 25 mile round trip a day on it with the occasional weekend long haul.

I use a Trek 1000 which is 7 years old, third set of wheels and chain set. Second Saddle god knows how many tyres. I also use a Geoffrey Butler Xenio Frame with Campag gearing which is 10 years old.

Brilliant scheme starting in London !!! Not VAT, No National Insurance, No Income Tax and 10% direct from my wages. So.... Looking for a new bike.

Ridgeback Genesis Day 07 or a Cannondale R900. Not sure.

Ride 27 mile round trip each day up to London and the Roads are terrible.

Any views. I've been told that the Ridegback Frames split easily? Not sure about the Gipiemme Parade wheels on the Cannondale though.

What's really cool is that Electra seems to be coming out with a model or two for the US market that come equipped with CHAIN CASES.

Whoopy Whoopy Ding Dong! I don't give a **** what anyone else says about how they look, I hate getting grit in the drivetrain! No more futzing around with waxes and special lubes, either! Just add a capful of motor oil to the chain case and you're off!

Now if only they made them with more than three speeds, and a drum or roller brake front hub!

:)
el guapo said:
A Specialized Allez is my "car". It is getting frickin freezin out here Mr. Bigglesworth. Although I'm sure Charleston, SC can't hold a candle to Boston! Enough layers of clothing though and I'm usually OK. Sometimes it's hard to gauge how much though since you warm up alot during the ride. Top of my head is always cold though from the vents in the helmet. Thought about getting one of those helmet covers from performance.
:) ELECTRIC GLOVES THE ONLY WAY TO GO

securityman_77@ said:
:) :) ELECTRIC GLOVES THE ONLY WAY TO GO
Try using rubber kitchen gloves or latex gloves next to your skin in order to keep your outer gloves dry. Waterproof barrier works for socks too. Also if you tape up your helmet vents don't tape them all up. If the tape breathes a little it's more or less as good as a goretex helmet cover.

for a little over 6 years, i rode 18-20 miles a day for my commute; transferred locations, that went down to about 5+ (i started looking for the long way to work to get the miles in!). but through it all, since my income won't allow a choice of bikes, i've always chosen mountain bikes -- simply because they offer the most versatility; they've had to be all-purpose. the sole exception to the "one-bike" situation came last summer when i built up an old ht into a cruiser (stingray handlebars, by god!!). rode it to work a few times, and had some less-than-babes try to talk their way onto the bike. i'll stick w/ the mtb, thanks; nobody wants to try putting a leg over "that high seat".

I just started using a SuperCycle 1800 Mountain Bike, purchased new at Canadian Tire for $99. It's the equivalent of the low end Huffy in the US, I guess. It's a POS, but it seems to be okay. I don't care if it's stolen. If it breaks, I'll buy a second for spare parts, or throw it out. My commute is about a ten mile round trip. Anything longer, I don't know if I'd use it.

I used to ride my real bikes to work... a Jamis Coda, or my Specialized Hardrock, but commuting around here is too hard on a good bike, especially in winter. Each rim on my good bikes cost twice as much as the complete Supercycle! It only makes sense to ride the junker.