What were those old-school parallel brake levers called? Something Paralever???

synchronicity

Dec 14, 2003
Hi folks,

I'm trying to get a set of parrallel levers for my MTB retro-rebuild.
Basically they used a huge parallel linkage brake lever (silver), so that the lever came into the bar parrallel when you squeezed it.

They were sold in the mid-90's...
Anyone here remember the ones I'm referring to? :confused:

I think they were called "odyssey paralever".
Is this correct???

Of course, it would help my search a great deal if I knew their name & some more info, so I can do a regular ebay search...

Does anyone recall the name / spelling + anything else?

Thanks.

synchronicity said:
Hi folks,

I'm trying to get a set of parrallel levers for my MTB retro-rebuild.
Basically they used a huge parallel linkage brake lever (silver), so that the lever came into the bar parrallel when you squeezed it.

They were sold in the mid-90's...
Anyone here remember the ones I'm referring to? :confused:

I think they were called "odyssey paralever".
Is this correct???

Of course, it would help my search a great deal if I knew their name & some more info, so I can do a regular ebay search...

Does anyone recall the name / spelling + anything else?

Thanks.
These sound a lot like the brake-lever extensions found on old road bikes.
They were called "suicide levers" because if you relied on them to stop you quickly, then you were likely to end up dead.

Don Shipp said:
These sound a lot like the brake-lever extensions found on old road bikes.
They were called "suicide levers" because if you relied on them to stop you quickly, then you were likely to end up dead.

No, no and no.

- They weren't called "CANTI'S"

- They're not parallel-push V-brake calipers.

- And they're not those cheapie aluminium "suicide levers" either...

I asked this on another forum. Yes I am pretty sure that the name I recalled is correct, but it was 10 years ago & there are no references to them on the 'net.

This is what I am talking about: The actual brake lever at the handlebar, instead of having just 1 pivot) had 4 pivots... it was a MTB only lever.

I think have to make my own set. :(

Holy Moly...are we the only 2 on earth who have decent retro-knowledge?? Let alone a brain to understand English?? :S

Yes, I know these silver AL levers. Odyssey Paralevers i recall. They were not in production for long, probably one year at most.

No results on ebay....yet! Dude pls post photos on net w proper tagline if ya get em!

Option: Dia Compe orbital levers (BR292?). 4 finger. Stndout anatomical and ergonomic. Came in bk, wht, grey i think too.
But,yeah, Paralevers wld be the end-all winner. Excellent, and clearly beneficial idea with significnt benefits.

leme know when u find em!

DT