What's going on?

Richard Goodman

Guest
After three years of pleasantly uneventful cycling to & from work, suddenly yesterday, on the way
home, I passed a group of kids who had taken it into their heads to throw water bombs at passing
cyclists. Today, another group in a different place were throwing eggs. The water group scored a
direct hit but I wasn't too bothered - at least it was only water and it was a fine day. The egg
group missed because I saw the signs before they started throwing - broken eggshells scattered
across the road - and immediately took an evasive course. But, after nothing for three years twice
in two days is a bit scary. What's going on? Has there been some silent declaration of 'chuck stuff
at cyclists' week or what?

Rich

"Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After three years of pleasantly uneventful cycling to & from work,
suddenly
> yesterday, on the way home, I passed a group of kids who had taken it into their heads to throw
> water bombs at passing cyclists.

You need a high powered water gun filled with dye or foul smelling, but harmless, liquid then join
in with the spirit. Show them what a fun person you are ;-)

Pete

After being given a "paint gun" blowpipe for my birthday I've often considered connecting it to an
Air Zound reservoir to take revenge on cars that cut me up :)

Peter B wrote:
> "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> After three years of pleasantly uneventful cycling to & from work, suddenly yesterday, on the way
>> home, I passed a group of kids who had taken it into their heads to throw water bombs at passing
>> cyclists.
>
> You need a high powered water gun filled with dye or foul smelling, but harmless, liquid then join
> in with the spirit. Show them what a fun person you are ;-)
>
> Pete

... and then it escalates ;-)

> >> After three years of pleasantly uneventful cycling to & from work, suddenly yesterday, on the
> >> way home, I passed a group of kids who had taken it into their heads to throw water bombs at
> >> passing cyclists.
> >
> > You need a high powered water gun filled with dye or foul smelling, but harmless, liquid then
> > join in with the spirit. Show them what a fun person you are ;-)
> ... and then it escalates ;-)

Don't you think we should be able to cycle around without having water bombs and such thrown at us?
How should we respond?

John

On Fri, 16 May 2003 19:45:09 GMT, "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote:

>... and then it escalates ;-)

What into ? High quality target-grade .22 rounds ?

(Just ignore me if this isn't where you got the name from)

"Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Don't you think we should be able to cycle around without having water
bombs
> and such thrown at us? How should we respond?
>
> John

I see Maplin has a two-for-the-price-of-one offer on ultrasonic pest repellants at the moment. Do
you think that would do? It says it's safe to use around children!

Ah... not those kind of pests... pity ;-).

Rich

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Richard Goodman <[email protected]> wrote:

> a bit scary. What's going on? Has there been some silent declaration of 'chuck stuff at cyclists'
> week or what?

Dunno, but I had one bad day this week. Generally on the trice I have far fewer requirements to take
evasive action than on a wedgi on my commute (wedgie - one serious one a month on average, trice -
until this week one in six months).

On one day this week I had one near miss going to work, one coming home, and, most inexplicably,
when I had pulled off the road to get something out of a pannier and was stood by the trike, a
passenger in a passing van leant out the window and yelled "********" at me.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Sat, 17 May 2003 09:07:00 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>a passenger in a passing van leant out the window and yelled "********" at me.

I got "Nice legs!" going home yesterday, which could be worse :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2003 09:07:00 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >a passenger in a passing van leant out the window and yelled "********" at me.
>
> I got "Nice legs!" going home yesterday, which could be worse :)

Ooh, I can beat that - I got "you look a bit like our IT teacher" while I was getting on the trice
outside the video shop yesterday, and when I asked if that was a compliment, she said "oh yes".

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Sat, 17 May 2003 15:46:43 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ooh, I can beat that - I got "you look a bit like our IT teacher"

Ah, in with a chance with an IT girl - how bad could that be?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Eatmorepies wrote:

> Don't you think we should be able to cycle around without having water bombs and such thrown at
> us? How should we respond?

Shoot them and burn the bodies, I reckon.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Tue, 20 May 2003 15:07:03 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Don't you think we should be able to cycle around without having water bombs and such thrown at
>> us? How should we respond?

>Shoot them and burn the bodies, I reckon.

Nah - burn them and shoot the bodies. Much better.

After, of course, cutting their goolies off.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Ian Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> a passenger in a passing van leant out the window and yelled "********" at me.

I think it's polite when strangers introduce themselves to you, surely you replied "Ian, pleased to
meet you ********"

Pete

> On one day this week I had one near miss going to work, one coming home, and, most inexplicably,
> when I had pulled off the road to get something out of a pannier and was stood by the trike, a
> passenger in a passing van leant out the window and yelled "********" at me.

I've had the odd van passenger do this. If the van has any sort of company identity on it then it is
worth contacting the company and pointing out that their trained chimpanzee has lost the company
business and that you will be informing all interested parties not to deal with them again. Of
course it's very rarely true as I don't have much need for pipe laying services or fork-lift truck
repairs, but they don't know that.

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> I've had the odd van passenger do this. If the van has any sort of company identity on it then it
> is worth contacting the company and pointing out that their trained chimpanzee has lost the
> company business and that you will be informing all interested parties not to deal with them
> again. Of course it's very rarely true as I don't have much need for pipe laying services or
> fork-lift truck repairs, but they don't know that.

Same goes for coaches. Dan's Luxury Travel are now in no doubt that no-one with whom I have any
kind of association will ever knowingly travel on one of their vehicles ever. Not that we would
have anyway...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:35:43 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dan's Luxury Travel

I was hoping you were going to say New Punjab Coaches of Slough - I laugh every time I see one
of them :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> I was hoping you were going to say New Punjab Coaches of Slough - I laugh every time I see one of
> them :)

Are they an offshoot of Punjabi Airlines - now flying to one destination worldwide from Consett
International Airport, perchance?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Thus spake "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>

> On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:35:43 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Dan's Luxury Travel

> I was hoping you were going to say New Punjab Coaches of Slough - I laugh every time I see one of
> them :)

Whereas I just laugh when I see cars advertising

The IMPACT School of Motoring...

I think they're based around Southall.

Hi Rich,

You don't live around Little Hulton/Walkden/Swinton do you - I sometimes take the A6 route via those
places enroute to manchester, and I've been "Bombed" with water and eggs several times!

Cheers.

Alan