What's going on?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Goodman, May 15, 2003.

  1. After three years of pleasantly uneventful cycling to & from work, suddenly yesterday, on the way
    home, I passed a group of kids who had taken it into their heads to throw water bombs at passing
    cyclists. Today, another group in a different place were throwing eggs. The water group scored a
    direct hit but I wasn't too bothered - at least it was only water and it was a fine day. The egg
    group missed because I saw the signs before they started throwing - broken eggshells scattered
    across the road - and immediately took an evasive course. But, after nothing for three years twice
    in two days is a bit scary. What's going on? Has there been some silent declaration of 'chuck stuff
    at cyclists' week or what?

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After three years of pleasantly uneventful cycling to & from work,
    suddenly
    > yesterday, on the way home, I passed a group of kids who had taken it into their heads to throw
    > water bombs at passing cyclists.

    You need a high powered water gun filled with dye or foul smelling, but harmless, liquid then join
    in with the spirit. Show them what a fun person you are ;-)

    Pete

  3. d

    d Guest

    After being given a "paint gun" blowpipe for my birthday I've often considered connecting it to an
    Air Zound reservoir to take revenge on cars that cut me up :)

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After three years of pleasantly uneventful cycling to & from work,
    suddenly
    > yesterday, on the way home, I passed a group of kids who had taken it into their heads to throw
    > water bombs at passing cyclists. Today, another
    group
    > in a different place were throwing eggs. The water group scored a direct hit but I wasn't too
    > bothered - at least it was only water and it was a
    fine
    > day. The egg group missed because I saw the signs before they started throwing - broken eggshells
    > scattered across the road - and immediately
    took
    > an evasive course. But, after nothing for three years twice in two days
    is
    > a bit scary. What's going on? Has there been some silent declaration of 'chuck stuff at cyclists'
    > week or what?
    >
    > Rich

  4. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Peter B wrote:
    > "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> After three years of pleasantly uneventful cycling to & from work, suddenly yesterday, on the way
    >> home, I passed a group of kids who had taken it into their heads to throw water bombs at passing
    >> cyclists.
    >
    > You need a high powered water gun filled with dye or foul smelling, but harmless, liquid then join
    > in with the spirit. Show them what a fun person you are ;-)
    >
    > Pete

    ... and then it escalates ;-)

  5. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > >> After three years of pleasantly uneventful cycling to & from work, suddenly yesterday, on the
    > >> way home, I passed a group of kids who had taken it into their heads to throw water bombs at
    > >> passing cyclists.
    > >
    > > You need a high powered water gun filled with dye or foul smelling, but harmless, liquid then
    > > join in with the spirit. Show them what a fun person you are ;-)
    > ... and then it escalates ;-)

    Don't you think we should be able to cycle around without having water bombs and such thrown at us?
    How should we respond?

    John

  6. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 19:45:09 GMT, "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >... and then it escalates ;-)

    What into ? High quality target-grade .22 rounds ?

    (Just ignore me if this isn't where you got the name from)

  7. "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Don't you think we should be able to cycle around without having water
    bombs
    > and such thrown at us? How should we respond?
    >
    > John

    I see Maplin has a two-for-the-price-of-one offer on ultrasonic pest repellants at the moment. Do
    you think that would do? It says it's safe to use around children!

    Ah... not those kind of pests... pity ;-).

    Rich

  8. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2003, Richard Goodman <[email protected]> wrote:

    > a bit scary. What's going on? Has there been some silent declaration of 'chuck stuff at cyclists'
    > week or what?

    Dunno, but I had one bad day this week. Generally on the trice I have far fewer requirements to take
    evasive action than on a wedgi on my commute (wedgie - one serious one a month on average, trice -
    until this week one in six months).

    On one day this week I had one near miss going to work, one coming home, and, most inexplicably,
    when I had pulled off the road to get something out of a pannier and was stood by the trike, a
    passenger in a passing van leant out the window and yelled "arsehole" at me.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 17 May 2003 09:07:00 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    >a passenger in a passing van leant out the window and yelled "arsehole" at me.

    I got "Nice legs!" going home yesterday, which could be worse :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  10. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Sat, 17 May 2003, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 May 2003 09:07:00 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >a passenger in a passing van leant out the window and yelled "arsehole" at me.
    >
    > I got "Nice legs!" going home yesterday, which could be worse :)

    Ooh, I can beat that - I got "you look a bit like our IT teacher" while I was getting on the trice
    outside the video shop yesterday, and when I asked if that was a compliment, she said "oh yes".

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 17 May 2003 15:46:43 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ooh, I can beat that - I got "you look a bit like our IT teacher"

    Ah, in with a chance with an IT girl - how bad could that be?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. Eatmorepies wrote:

    > Don't you think we should be able to cycle around without having water bombs and such thrown at
    > us? How should we respond?

    Shoot them and burn the bodies, I reckon.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  13. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 20 May 2003 15:07:03 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Don't you think we should be able to cycle around without having water bombs and such thrown at
    >> us? How should we respond?

    >Shoot them and burn the bodies, I reckon.

    Nah - burn them and shoot the bodies. Much better.

    After, of course, cutting their goolies off.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  14. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Ian Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > a passenger in a passing van leant out the window and yelled "arsehole" at me.

    I think it's polite when strangers introduce themselves to you, surely you replied "Ian, pleased to
    meet you Arsehole"

    Pete

  15. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > On one day this week I had one near miss going to work, one coming home, and, most inexplicably,
    > when I had pulled off the road to get something out of a pannier and was stood by the trike, a
    > passenger in a passing van leant out the window and yelled "arsehole" at me.

    I've had the odd van passenger do this. If the van has any sort of company identity on it then it is
    worth contacting the company and pointing out that their trained chimpanzee has lost the company
    business and that you will be informing all interested parties not to deal with them again. Of
    course it's very rarely true as I don't have much need for pipe laying services or fork-lift truck
    repairs, but they don't know that.

    Colin

  16. Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > I've had the odd van passenger do this. If the van has any sort of company identity on it then it
    > is worth contacting the company and pointing out that their trained chimpanzee has lost the
    > company business and that you will be informing all interested parties not to deal with them
    > again. Of course it's very rarely true as I don't have much need for pipe laying services or
    > fork-lift truck repairs, but they don't know that.

    Same goes for coaches. Dan's Luxury Travel are now in no doubt that no-one with whom I have any
    kind of association will ever knowingly travel on one of their vehicles ever. Not that we would
    have anyway...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  17. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:35:43 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dan's Luxury Travel

    I was hoping you were going to say New Punjab Coaches of Slough - I laugh every time I see one
    of them :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  18. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > I was hoping you were going to say New Punjab Coaches of Slough - I laugh every time I see one of
    > them :)

    Are they an offshoot of Punjabi Airlines - now flying to one destination worldwide from Consett
    International Airport, perchance?

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  19. Thus spake "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>

    > On Fri, 23 May 2003 10:35:43 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Dan's Luxury Travel

    > I was hoping you were going to say New Punjab Coaches of Slough - I laugh every time I see one of
    > them :)

    Whereas I just laugh when I see cars advertising

    The IMPACT School of Motoring...

    I think they're based around Southall.

  20. Alan Tracey

    Alan Tracey Guest

    Hi Rich,

    You don't live around Little Hulton/Walkden/Swinton do you - I sometimes take the A6 route via those
    places enroute to manchester, and I've been "Bombed" with water and eggs several times!

    Cheers.

    Alan