What's so special about bicycle grease?

pachakutek

Apr 6, 2007
Hi newbie here,
I'm rebuilding my wheels... new spokes, and repacking the hubs.
And I certainly forgot to get bicycle grease. However, I was thinking to use some automotive grease I have somewhere.
Will that be ok? what's so special about bicycle grease?

My bike is vintage fuji, espree. And while I'd like to have it at its best I'm not concerned with top notch performance.

Thanks in advance,
Tona

From my reading on the net, they are indeed special on the following grounds,

1) Much more expensive per gram.
2) Packaged in tiny tubes that'll empty out quickly.
3) Sold by LBSs and support their existence.

Otherwise, buy quality grease in tubs, in particular marine grade that's water resistant.

Nasgul said:
Plus, bicycle grease is much easier to remove than automotive.
Is that a good thing when you occasionally ride in the rain? :rolleyes:

Bike grease is typically thinner. I would in fact shun its use on certain simple or older, unsealed bikes like a coaster brake cruiser because it seems to let the grit migrate over to the bearings easier. But I suppose it MAY circulate around better inside a sealed hub and the tubes are convenient for preventing contamination. Those tubs of car grease are easy to contaminate.

I hope you don't ride that Fuji until you repack it! I have found some grease on old bikes dries up into a sort of wax and becomes so hard that it is simply squeezed out of the way when the bearings roll. At least try to drip some oil into axles, bb, and steering.

Whether you use bicycle grease or automotive grease I would only use synthetic grease. Some automotive grease is synthetic, mosy bicycle grease is. I say this having contacted Campagnolo's tech reps by Email. Campy grease being no longer available, they recommended "any quality synthetic grease". I go with that. Leonard Zinn makes the point that synthetics and non synthetics should not be combined, so clean everything well.

On those old freewheel bikes I have found it is important to use a bit more bearing preload in the rear hub than is considered normal, to toss out the cage and install two extra loose bearing balls, and to break it in carefully while readjusting the cones several times (the cheaper the axles/cones the more the clearance changes in the very beginning). This allows the hub shell to bolster the axle and prevents bending.

There is no cage in rear bearing on Fuji Espree. I am original owner of a Fuji Espree. Justoverhauled rear bearing. It isa fast bike.

Originally Posted by caferacerwanabe

you've obviously never used Rock n' Roll's Red Devil bike grease!
That is the best chain lube on the market! it's a bit hard to get in some areas, i've had to buy it online the last few years since no shops in my area stock it anymore. The one that did went broke.

sogood said:
From my reading on the net, they are indeed special on the following grounds, 1) Much more expensive per gram. 2) Packaged in tiny tubes that'll empty out quickly. 3) Sold by LBSs and support their existence. Otherwise, buy quality grease in tubs, in particular marine grade that's water resistant.
+1 Happy user of marine grease here. Seems to work fine. Andrew

Originally Posted by pachakutek

Hi newbie here,
I'm rebuilding my wheels... new spokes, and repacking the hubs.
And I certainly forgot to get bicycle grease. However, I was thinking to use some automotive grease I have somewhere.
Will that be ok? what's so special about bicycle grease?

My bike is vintage fuji, espree. And while I'd like to have it at its best I'm not concerned with top notch performance.

Thanks in advance,
Tona
Does the freewheel call for a specific type of grease?

new_rider said:
Does the freewheel call for a specific type of grease?
As an all-year rider in a place where winter means a serious drop in temperature, I'd NEVER pack a f/w with grease. That's a surefire recipe for preventing the pawls from engaging. IF I had it apart though, I'd happily use grease for the ball bearings.