Whats the most comfortable Selle Italia saddle?

Adam-from-SLO said:
I wonder how much continued pressure on the pudendal nerve will/can cause a damaged blood supply ?
I'm going to revise what I said above about what the pudendal nerve does, as I've remembered that the nerve fibres controlling blood vessel function actually travel along the arteries (sympathetic nerve fibres), rather than in the pudendal nerve. This fact doen't make any difference to any of the discussion above.

artemidorus said:
Some people in the field maintain that ANY penile numbness is doing damage; I have had some bikes start to get me numb within 30 minutes.
To my mind, ANY genital numbness, after no matter how many hours on the bike, is a danger sign, and not acceptable. Abrasions, rawness--any of those can be treated with ointment, different shorts, etc. But when the machinery goes numb, the ride's over, and the saddle, bike fit--especially saddle height and handlebar height--need to be looked at immediately.

I'm not an MD, mind you. But neurological symptoms seem serious to me, and genital numbness--priorities are priorities!

I rode many of the versions of the SLR and I find the C-64 to be the most comfortable. After six months on my first one I bought a second one for my back up bike replacing the Carbonio that was on it.

patch70 said:
Probably easiest to google "internal pudendal artery" or "pudendal nerve". They run from the sacral area then under the sit bones (ischial tuberosity) and to the old fella. If you get a numb old fella, that is due to pressure on the pudendal nerve. The concern is that too long spent pressing on the internal pudendal artery will lead to damaged blood supply to him also. Thus concerns about impotence but mainly in those spending > 4 hours per day on the bike.
I have a question about this. In some reports I have read that the problem (the damage to the pudendal artery and the resulting impotency) is permanent and non reversible and in some others that is temporary and the blood flow is slowly restored to its normal levels after some time spent off the bike. What's the truth doc?:)

DV1976 said:
I have a question about this. In some reports I have read that the problem (the damage to the pudendal artery and the resulting impotency) is permanent and non reversible and in some others that is temporary and the blood flow is slowly restored to its normal levels after some time spent off the bike. What's the truth doc?:)
There is, as yet, no good evidence either way. It's safest to assume the worst and avoid it in the first place.

Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio - is also what I use and I've found it to be outstandingly comfortable. It doesn't look that way from the off-bike observer. The thin leather used is an issue I think. Mine started to come apart near the edges where it is tucked under. I used clear nail polish to fix that problem. I painted the polish all around the edges and underneath. The rest of the leather is wearing and turning an off black color (gray). I'm not sure what to do with that. Any ideas I'm all ears.

Note: I wrote to the company abouit replacing the leather and they said that's not worth the time their time. So..... buy a new one.

DV1976 said:
As Artemidorus said! No solid evidence.

Hi KS

Just out of interest how long have you had your SLR or how many km's have you done on it. The response from the company is a bit petty, these things after all are not cheap. I think they should build some longevity into their products especially for the high end items such as the SLR, especially since it takes a while to break them in.

Regards
Ken

kspangler said:
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio - is also what I use and I've found it to be outstandingly comfortable. It doesn't look that way from the off-bike observer. The thin leather used is an issue I think. Mine started to come apart near the edges where it is tucked under. I used clear nail polish to fix that problem. I painted the polish all around the edges and underneath. The rest of the leather is wearing and turning an off black color (gray). I'm not sure what to do with that. Any ideas I'm all ears.

Note: I wrote to the company abouit replacing the leather and they said that's not worth the time their time. So..... buy a new one.

kleng said:
Hi KS

Just out of interest how long have you had your SLR or how many km's have you done on it. The response from the company is a bit petty, these things after all are not cheap. I think they should build some longevity into their products especially for the high end items such as the SLR, especially since it takes a while to break them in.

Regards
Ken

Ken, I've had it for about a year and a half which equals about 6,000 miles of riding. I've thought about applying some type of leather treatment to the saddle, but I don't want to make it slippery or end up staining my cycling shorts. Thanks for any thoughts you may have. Keith

Keith

In the past I've used an automotive leather conditioner (http://www.meguiars.com/?automotive-leather-care/Gold-Class-Rich-Leather-Aloe-Conditioner)
on my flite saddles. This seems to have protected them well and they weren't slick. I suspect however that the SLR has way thinner leather than the flite, so we might not be able to protect it as well.

Regards
Ken

kspangler said:
Ken, I've had it for about a year and a half which equals about 6,000 miles of riding. I've thought about applying some type of leather treatment to the saddle, but I don't want to make it slippery or end up staining my cycling shorts. Thanks for any thoughts you may have. Keith

kspangler said:

Lexol leather conditioner works very well.

jmurray89 said:
Its all about personal comfort and fit. for me, my flite kit carbonio was killing me, and i got the slr carbon, with no padding at all, and it hasnt hurt sitting on it yet, and its only 89 grams (weighed on a gram scale in a science lab at school). Ive had it for about 4 months and had it for a 112 mi ride. It wasnt uncomfortable at all. Like I said, its all personal.

I too have been using the SLR ..3500 miles. Recently, I have switched to the SLK because the sharper edges of the SLR were irritating and making saddle sores. The SLK is working great and no more sores...This is all about everybody's different shapes. I don't see a way around buying saddles until you find one that works.
John

DV1976 said:
There is an interesting earlier discussion about the nerve and blood flow issues elsewhere in this forum, without any definitive answer to that question but with a lot of useful analysis. See here:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t288652-.html

and including a link to the new E3 saddle (I haven't tried it -- I have a Selle Italia Flite -- but I am tempted).

http://www.unlimitedsportsanalysis.com/Infopage.html

Each to its own! Although you did receive a lot of nice advice, nobody can tell you which saddle will work best for you. For more specific details on each saddle you may want tp check out all Selle Italia Saddles.

I've got an older veresion of the Flite Gel Flow, its fits my butt a treat and have this newer version on order for my new bike when it comes. I alwasys fidgeted on my previous saddle, could never find a comfortable position and was always moving forwards. Not with this saddle.