whats the thingy majig really called

trek-man

New Member
Apr 10, 2005
Hey guys and girls
whats the correct name for the bit on the hub that the cassette slides onto. And are they brand specific and if so are there adaptors or easy ways to change them from shimano to campag.
cheers
Mick

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

trek-man said:
Hey guys and girls
whats the correct name for the bit on the hub that the cassette slides onto. And are they brand specific and if so are there adaptors or easy ways to change them from shimano to campag.
cheers
Mick
I think it is called a spline, as for brand specific and adaptors I don't know:(

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> trek-man wrote:
> > Hey guys and girls
> > whats the correct name for the bit on the hub that the cassette slides
> > onto. And are they brand specific and if so are there adaptors or easy
> > ways to change them from shimano to campag.

> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

I have got a Campag cluster on a shimano hub......mine has plastic spacers
between each cog and an adaptor as per the link for each cog as well

http://www.bikyle.com/images/MarchAdaptors.jpg

No idea where to get them from as mine were on the bike when I got it but I
am pretty sure that any decent LBS will have them.

Ride On,

Gags

trek-man wrote:
> Hey guys and girls
> whats the correct name for the bit on the hub that the cassette slides
> onto. And are they brand specific and if so are there adaptors or easy
> ways to change them from shimano to campag.
> cheers
> Mick

Free wheel - or free wheel spline, depending on how specific you're
being... Dave
They are brand specific - people do make adapters, but they're hard to find

trek-man wrote:

> Hey guys and girls
> whats the correct name for the bit on the hub that the cassette slides
> onto. And are they brand specific and if so are there adaptors or easy
> ways to change them from shimano to campag.
> cheers
> Mick

Sheldon Brown has the answer...

Thank you good people SHelon has once again increased my knowledge. How is it that everyone else can find stuff on his site but i just keep getting nowhere.

cheers
Mick

trek-man wrote:
> Thank you good people SHelon has once again increased my knowledge. How
> is it that everyone else can find stuff on his site but i just keep
> getting nowhere.
>
> cheers
> Mick

Try browsing the glossary on his website. You'll be surprised where it
leads you and what you'll find.

--
BrettS

trek-man <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thank you good people SHelon has once again increased my knowledge. How
> is it that everyone else can find stuff on his site but i just keep
> getting nowhere.

You need to learns the 'Joy of Google'. Google's going take over the
world, seriously. Just hope they live by their 'do no evil' motto...

To find what you wanted I just put the following into google :

hub cassette sheldon

The first hit takes you to a page that has your info, and pretty
pictures.

Other cool google things (whack the following into google)

100 kilograms in pounds

1+2

30 miles per hour in metres per second

40 horsepower in kilowatts

30 kilometers per hour in furlongs per fortnight

(Okay, I'm getting silly now, but you get the idea. :)

--
..dt