What's the typical MTB bar diameter?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Squid-In-Traini, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I built my bike not knowing what the normal stem/bar size is for MTBs, and now someone wants to buy
    my stem, but I don't have calipers (and I'm not on campus where the stem/bar is).

What's the most common size of MTB bar? I'm 90% sure I don't have the oversize 1 1/8"... is 25.4mm
    (1inch) the norm?

TIA!

--
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

Tags:

2. In article <[email protected]>, Phil, Squid-in-Training
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I built my bike not knowing what the normal stem/bar size is for MTBs, and now someone wants to buy
    >my stem, but I don't have calipers (and I'm not on campus where the stem/bar is).
    >
    >What's the most common size of MTB bar? I'm 90% sure I don't have the oversize 1 1/8"... is 25.4mm
    >(1inch) the norm?

Yes, 25.4 is normal for the handlebar.

3. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I built my bike not knowing what the normal stem/bar size is for MTBs, and now someone wants to
    > buy my stem, but I don't have calipers (and I'm not
    on
    > campus where the stem/bar is).
    >
    > What's the most common size of MTB bar? I'm 90% sure I don't have the oversize 1 1/8"... is 25.4mm
    > (1inch) the norm?

Wrap a paper around the part and mark off the circumference. Take it off and lay it flat. Measure
    the circumference with a ruler and divide by pi -
    3.14159. You have your answer without a caliper.
    --
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

4. > Wrap a paper around the part and mark off the circumference. Take it off and lay it flat. Measure
    > the circumference with a ruler and divide by
    pi -
    > 3.14159. You have your answer without a caliper.

Yes... I was going to do that before I left my dorm room and came home for spring break ;) But it's
    not in my current possession and I can't measure it, and I have to give the ebay guy an answer.

--
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.