What's the typical MTB bar diameter?

Squid-In-Traini

Guest
I built my bike not knowing what the normal stem/bar size is for MTBs, and now someone wants to buy
my stem, but I don't have calipers (and I'm not on campus where the stem/bar is).

What's the most common size of MTB bar? I'm 90% sure I don't have the oversize 1 1/8"... is 25.4mm
(1inch) the norm?

TIA!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

In article <[email protected]>, Phil, Squid-in-Training
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I built my bike not knowing what the normal stem/bar size is for MTBs, and now someone wants to buy
>my stem, but I don't have calipers (and I'm not on campus where the stem/bar is).
>
>What's the most common size of MTB bar? I'm 90% sure I don't have the oversize 1 1/8"... is 25.4mm
>(1inch) the norm?

Yes, 25.4 is normal for the handlebar.

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I built my bike not knowing what the normal stem/bar size is for MTBs, and now someone wants to
> buy my stem, but I don't have calipers (and I'm not
on
> campus where the stem/bar is).
>
> What's the most common size of MTB bar? I'm 90% sure I don't have the oversize 1 1/8"... is 25.4mm
> (1inch) the norm?

Wrap a paper around the part and mark off the circumference. Take it off and lay it flat. Measure
the circumference with a ruler and divide by pi -
3.14159. You have your answer without a caliper.

> Wrap a paper around the part and mark off the circumference. Take it off and lay it flat. Measure
> the circumference with a ruler and divide by
pi -
> 3.14159. You have your answer without a caliper.

Yes... I was going to do that before I left my dorm room and came home for spring break ;) But it's
not in my current possession and I can't measure it, and I have to give the ebay guy an answer.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training