What's your age, when did you start riding?

Good spread on ages here. I'm 38. I started riding a year-and-a-half ago, haven't since I was a kid (last bike had a banana seat, ahh the 70's). My wife suggested it and of course I resisted at first, but I bought a hybrid (Marin) and now I push her to do longer and longer rides (20 miles is a minimum now, I like 40). We live in Arlington VA and there are lots of good places to ride around here, just got back from the Northern Neck for some great road biking (never been chased by so many dogs before!).

Great exercise, can't say enough good things about it

I'm 49. I started riding at age 7, in 1962. That first bike was my only means for getting to school or to friends' houses, 'cuz I lived in the country and there were no busses, and my father took the family car to work. I continued to do what I would now consider as 'small mileage' after getting my driver's license, but it wasn't until 1985 that I finally signed up for a bike tour, joined a club, and started riding more. I like to do a couple of tours every year, it's a good way to meet people and see new places.

Started road riding in '89 when I was 22 but had always enjoyed bicycling - bmx and riding my 10 speed for fun. I liked sports such as baseball and was involved with music with some friends, but the thing that hooked me on cycling is I can ride by myself, with a couple other riders, or in large group rides. And, it can be for fun one day and extremely competitive the next, with very little planning or organization. It is a very flexible sport. Plus, I have always thought the European racing culture was interesting. Old racing bikes have always appealed to me and though I do not have tons of money to throw at bikes and bike parts (though I do own one very nice road bike, a 1990 entry level road racer, and a 2001 mountain bike), bicycle technology has bit me also! Just a damn cool sport. :)

Started really serious riding in '92. Fuji 7/21. Now that I'm 61 bought a TE this July. Love it for its comfort, speed and looks. Additional benefit: It seems that women over 40 like to stop their car and talk about the bike. Now, how lucky can I get!:cool:

BOB500

I am 14 and I have been riding a MTB since I was eight.

My neighbor gave me an old POS Road Bike during the summer of this year.

I got hooked on road riding.:D

I now have a Nishiki Century '04 model road bike I got a few weeks ago and I am waiting for a UPS truck to round the corner at the bottom of my street and deliver the $25.00 each Maxxis Fuse tires I ordered on Friday.

I average about 200 +/- miles a week and I am going to begin my racing career soon.:D

I started at age 6, a red Schwinn for my birthday. I started riding seriously when I was in college in Boston. I rode my first century at age 50. (I am 52 now.)

I ride year 'round in North Dakota now.

I started riding around the age of 7 and road all kinds of bike that never seemed to have working brakes until i was 14. At 14 I went down a big hill with a highway at the bottom (sans brakes, of course), I took about 11 years off riding after that but now I love it (again). I still get that feeling that i got the first time and i've been back at it for 4 years.

62 yrs. old
Started in 1982 with Dawes Super Galaxay touring bike.
1997 first road bike; 2003 second road bike
This year 9000 miles on the road

I learnt to ride the bike at three and then ive gradually improved from there im 17 now and about to start joining a racing club

Monte521 said:
I started at age 6, a red Schwinn for my birthday. I started riding seriously when I was in college in Boston. I rode my first century at age 50. (I am 52 now.)

I ride year 'round in North Dakota now.
hi monte i am 47 and have also been riding since 5 or 6 years old, however this is the first year i will try winter riding on my 7 mile commute.i have a good combo for my upper body any tips for the lower half.my thighs and "jewels" get cold so far i haven"t froze anything off.michigan weather can be pretty nasty.

chizlr40 said:
hi monte i am 47 and have also been riding since 5 or 6 years old, however this is the first year i will try winter riding on my 7 mile commute.i have a good combo for my upper body any tips for the lower half.my thighs and "jewels" get cold so far i haven"t froze anything off.michigan weather can be pretty nasty.
I am 42. I started riding at about 5. Didn't do any serious mileage until college. I tried racing in my mid 20's. Then I went to Alaska and worked on fishing boats for seven years, and then went for more schooling. After a ten year lay off I started biking again at 40. Now I am waiting to see if I need an operation on my ankle so I haven't ridden in awhile.

:) I started riding like most people when I was a kid but cars took over. I picked it back up in 1989 at 47 years old. I am now 62 and own too many bikes but I ride them all.

Hi, I'm 65 and I started riding in England in 1949. I was lucky enough to enjoy the traffic-free roads of the fifties. I did my first race as a junior in 1955 and my last as a Master in 1998. In the fifties I rode Hercules, a Urego and a Bianchi and I now ride a custom frame from Romic (Houston). I still train about 150 miles per week - still hoping for that call from the Olympic Committee !!!!!

bikeshop said:
Grandfather owned a bike shop, now I own one (not the same one). Been a serious cyclist for 15 years now, and wish I had this much drive and desire back when I was 14. I might have made the tour. :D www.the-bike-shop.com/training
dont need to make the "team" i know we all dream of it , but its one thing to enjoy the ride and another to make it . the time and effort to make the big time seem excessive to me. I have a real life and enjoy riding when, where and how long I can go. Although I admire the pros dedication its just not for me.

I'm 53 now. I don't recall when I started riding a bike, I was probably 5 or 6. Cars had fins, milk was delivered to the doorstep by a fellow in a white uniform, Eisenhower was President, if I wanted to go somewhere I rode my bicycle. My friends quit riding bicycles when they got their drivers' licenses, I didn't, because bicycles don't cost money to ride. I've always had a bicycle for that reason- they're really cheap transportation.
Now I want one with a gel seat, full suspension, and automatic transmission- for under $200.

Beaugrand said:
I'm 53 now. I don't recall when I started riding a bike, I was probably 5 or 6. Cars had fins, milk was delivered to the doorstep by a fellow in a white uniform, Eisenhower was President, if I wanted to go somewhere I rode my bicycle. My friends quit riding bicycles when they got their drivers' licenses, I didn't, because bicycles don't cost money to ride. I've always had a bicycle for that reason- they're really cheap transportation.
Now I want one with a gel seat, full suspension, and automatic transmission- for under $200.
nice try but I dont think you can find a good quality saddle for much less than $200 lol wish for the good old days too. Been in the saddle for over 30 years and i know you have to keep up with the times. some good some not so good. you have to weigh price vs what you want. You will not believe the new gear. It is light years from what I used to have.