Whats your poison

Dave wrote:

>"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>>It feels like theres a broad range of mountain bikers here so was
>>

>wondering
>

>>what each of you ride......bike wise.
>>

>This used to be a mountain bike group, but lately it's turned into an ADULT BMX Group (read;
>Singlespeeds) I'm just glad there are a wealth of sites about mountain biking...this ones dying
>(albeit, slowly)
>
>Dave

Hmm back lash against singlespeeds. That's sorta like boycotting a boycott.

In seriousness, a singlespeed mountian bike is a very different beastie than a bmx bike. Sounds like
you need to go ride with some singlespeeders. Rest assured, a singlespeed mountain bike IS a
mountain bike.

And here's the cliche: No one's forcing you to read this, unless you are being held captive by a
particularly bizarre and cruel terrorist cell.

"Doof" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > It feels like theres a broad range of mountain bikers here so was
> wondering
> > what each of you ride......bike wise.
>
> This used to be a mountain bike group, but lately it's turned into an ADULT BMX Group (read;
> Singlespeeds) I'm just glad there are a wealth of sites about mountain biking...this ones dying
> (albeit, slowly)

If you equate dying with your loss of interest, please let this NG be nuked beyond recognition.

JD

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 08:39:23 -0500, Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

> This used to be a mountain bike group, but lately it's turned into an ADULT BMX Group (read;
> Singlespeeds) I'm just glad there are a wealth of sites about mountain biking...this ones dying
> (albeit, slowly)
>
> Dave

It seems to me that adult BMX is riding a BMX bike with 20 or 24 inch wheels on a BMX track or
skate park.

Single speeding is riding a mountain bike on mountain bike trails.

I'd never put down either tho...used to run w/ the little wheels in the heart of American BMX at
Chandler, AZ, and y'all know how I feel about SS!

Ride on!
--
Gman

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote

> This used to be a mountain bike group, but lately it's turned into an ADULT BMX Group (read;
> Singlespeeds)

Singlespeeds rock. Singlespeeds roll. Singlespeeds rule. Singlespeeds are the alpha and the omega.
Singlespeeds make you better looking, smarter, and better in bed. Singlespeeds are the only way to
Bike the Apocalypse. Singlespeeds are your friend. Singlespeeds will make the world safe for
democracy. Singlespeeds are the One True Way. Chicks dig singlespeeds. Singlespeeds cannot be
stopped. Singlespeeds lead to enlightenment.

IV

The singlespeed is an empty vessel; it is used, but never filled. Oh, unfathomable source of the ten
thousand gears! Blunt the sharpness, Untangle the knot, Soften the glare, Merge with dust. Oh,
hidden deep but ever present! I do not know from whence it comes. It is the forefather of the
downhill bikes.

Sky and dirt are ruthless; They see the ten thousand gears as useless The wise are ruthless They see
the riders as fools

The space between sky and dirt is like a bellows. The shape changes but not the form; The more it
moves, the more it yields. More gears count less. Hold fast to the trail.

XI

Thirty spokes share the wheel's hub; It is the center hole that makes it useful. Shape clay into a
vessel; It is the space within that makes it useful. Cut doors and windows for a room; It is the
holes which make it useful. Therefore profit comes from what is there; Usefulness comes from what is
not there.

XXI

The greatest virtue is to ride one gear and one gear alone. The singlespeed is elusive and
intangible. Oh, it is intangible and elusive, and yet within is image. Oh, it is elusive and
intangible, and yet within is form. Oh, it is dim and dark, and yet within is essence. The essence
is very real, and therein lies faith. From the very beginning until now singlespeeds have never been
forgotten. Thus I perceive the creation. How do I know the ways of creation? Because of this.

XXIV

He who has his weight forward is not steady. He who sprints cannot maintain the pace. He who makes
a show is not enlightened. He who is self-righteous is not respected. He who boasts achieves
nothing. He who brags will not endure. According to the followers of singlespeeding, "These are
extra gears and unnecessary weight," They do not bring happiness. Therefore followers of
singlespeeding avoid them.

CC

Michael Dart wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>http://www.2fortheroad.net/bikes.html
>>
>>A mountain bike. Meant to be ridden up and down mountains. Not over stairs and curbs and little
>>man-made bumps in a field. This is, after
>
> all,
>
>>alt.MOUNTAIN-bike, not alt.adult.bmx nor alt.bmx nor rec.motorcycles-without-engines.dirt.
>>
>>Cheerio, Greg
>>

> Looks like a 'cross bike to me.

A mtn bike with dropbars does not a 'cross bike make. Plus it's ridden up and down mountains, not
around a 'cross track nor off of stairs nor curbs nor down a BMX track. Mountains. Bikes. Ridden.

Greg

--
"Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

Jonathan Bond wrote:

> Anthony, I've always wondered whats with the extra cog in the surly's drivetrain, between the rear
> cog and the crankset... I kinda see how it would keep tension, but wouldn't it end up causing more
> problems?
>
> Jon "Commander" Bond

It never came out. And I rode that bike pretty hard.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

Michael Dart wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>http://www.2fortheroad.net/bikes.html
>>
>>A mountain bike. Meant to be ridden up and down mountains. Not over stairs and curbs and little
>>man-made bumps in a field. This is, after
>
> all,
>
>>alt.MOUNTAIN-bike, not alt.adult.bmx nor alt.bmx nor rec.motorcycles-without-engines.dirt.
>>
>>Cheerio, Greg
>>

> Looks like a 'cross bike to me.

Agreed. Sticking fat tyres on it is just some feeble attempt to cover up his GRS tendencies...

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/bmx_faq.htm

"Jonathan Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/shaun.htm
> >
> > There's not much the bike can't be set up to do - shame the same can't
be
> > said for me.
>
> And here's mine: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/bikes.html
>
> Like Shaun's mine's changed massively since that photo. The Azonic World Force risers have gone to
> be replaced by a Ritchey WCS flat bar and bar ends (they're back in fashion - no, honestly). The
> classic '95 DH Judy's have given way to a pair of 'zocchi MXR forks, the USE seat post snapped, so
> that's been replaced by an X-Lite Click-on and the seat is now a Flite Trans Am Max. Oh, and it's
> been upgraded to spiffy 8 speed. Also fortunately, I've moved away from the horrible kitchen and
> furniture :)

you gain enormous respect for the flat bar and bar ends and removing the kitchen furniture (how
Luxembourgeois!)

I take it you only had the Judy's because they were red?

Dave wrote:

> ( G.T, your the greatest!)

**** yeah, you know it! I do, too!

Greg

--
"Drugs have long been the currency Of the Central Intelligence Agency USA and EEC A long dull story
of corruption" - Mekons

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| Pete Fagerlin wrote:
| > "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > news:[email protected]...
| > | It feels like theres a broad range of mountain bikers here so was
| > wondering
| > | what each of you ride......bike wise.
| >
| > I'm riding this bike the most right now:
| >
| > http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/images/boltage/sensuousboltage2_lg.jpg
| >

| > --
| > Pete Fagerlin
| >
| > http://www.petefagerlin.com
| >

| http://www.anthonysloan.com/cx11.jpg
|
| http://www.anthonysloan.com/cx13.jpg

Yeah, cross bikes are fun. Getting a handjob is just the frosting on the cake.

http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/hj_lrg_jpg.jpg

--
Pete Fagerlin http://www.petefagerlin.com

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Dave wrote:
>
> >"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >

> >>It feels like theres a broad range of mountain bikers here so was
> >>

> >wondering
> >

> >>what each of you ride......bike wise.
> >>

> >This used to be a mountain bike group, but lately it's turned into an
ADULT
> >BMX Group (read; Singlespeeds) I'm just glad there are a wealth of sites about mountain
> >biking...this
ones
> >dying (albeit, slowly)
> >
> >Dave
> >

> Hmm back lash against singlespeeds. That's sorta like boycotting a
boycott.

> In seriousness, a singlespeed mountian bike is a very different beastie than a bmx bike. Sounds
> like you need to go ride with some singlespeeders. Rest assured, a singlespeed mountain bike IS a
> mountain bike.
>
> And here's the cliche: No one's forcing you to read this, unless you are being held captive by a
> particularly bizarre and cruel terrorist cell.

stranger things have happened.

> "Doof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > It feels like theres a broad range of mountain bikers here so was
> > wondering
> > > what each of you ride......bike wise.
> >
> > This used to be a mountain bike group, but lately it's turned into an
ADULT
> > BMX Group (read; Singlespeeds) I'm just glad there are a wealth of sites about mountain
> > biking...this
ones
> > dying (albeit, slowly)
>
> If you equate dying with your loss of interest, please let this NG be nuked beyond recognition.
>
> JD

na, I reserve that image to the immigrant illegal alien out house, or whatever it is you call home!

Dave

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > This used to be a mountain bike group, but lately it's turned into an
ADULT
> > BMX Group (read; Singlespeeds)
>
> Singlespeeds rock. Singlespeeds roll. Singlespeeds rule. Singlespeeds are the alpha and the omega.
> Singlespeeds make you better looking, smarter, and better in bed. Singlespeeds are the only way to
> Bike the Apocalypse. Singlespeeds are your friend. Singlespeeds will make the world safe for
> democracy. Singlespeeds are the One True Way. Chicks dig singlespeeds. Singlespeeds cannot be
> stopped. Singlespeeds lead to enlightenment.
>
> IV
>
> The singlespeed is an empty vessel; it is used, but never filled. Oh, unfathomable source of the
> ten thousand gears! Blunt the sharpness, Untangle the knot, Soften the glare, Merge with dust. Oh,
> hidden deep but ever present! I do not know from whence it comes. It is the forefather of the
> downhill bikes.

> Sky and dirt are ruthless; They see the ten thousand gears as useless The wise are ruthless They
> see the riders as fools
>
> The space between sky and dirt is like a bellows. The shape changes but not the form; The more it
> moves, the more it yields. More gears count less. Hold fast to the trail.
>

> XI
>
> Thirty spokes share the wheel's hub; It is the center hole that makes it useful. Shape clay into a
> vessel; It is the space within that makes it useful. Cut doors and windows for a room; It is the
> holes which make it useful. Therefore profit comes from what is there; Usefulness comes from what
> is not there.
>

> XXI
>
> The greatest virtue is to ride one gear and one gear alone. The singlespeed is elusive and
> intangible. Oh, it is intangible and elusive, and yet within is image. Oh, it is elusive and
> intangible, and yet within is form. Oh, it is dim and dark, and yet within is essence. The essence
> is very real, and therein lies faith. From the very beginning until now singlespeeds have never
> been forgotten. Thus I perceive the creation. How do I know the ways of creation? Because of this.
>

> XXIV
>
> He who has his weight forward is not steady. He who sprints cannot maintain the pace. He who makes
> a show is not enlightened. He who is self-righteous is not respected. He who boasts achieves
> nothing. He who brags will not endure. According to the followers of singlespeeding, "These are
> extra gears and unnecessary weight," They do not bring happiness. Therefore followers of
> singlespeeding avoid them.
>

> CC

Didn't I see this on Russell Simmons Def Poetry show last night?

Dave (sing it brother CC, sing it!)

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > This used to be a mountain bike group, but lately it's turned into an
ADULT
> > BMX Group (read; Singlespeeds)
>
> Singlespeeds rock. Singlespeeds roll. Singlespeeds rule. Singlespeeds are the alpha and the omega.
> Singlespeeds make you better looking, smarter, and better in bed. Singlespeeds are the only way to
> Bike the Apocalypse. Singlespeeds are your friend. Singlespeeds will make the world safe for
> democracy. Singlespeeds are the One True Way. Chicks dig singlespeeds. Singlespeeds cannot be
> stopped. Singlespeeds lead to enlightenment.
>
> IV
>
> The singlespeed is an empty vessel; it is used, but never filled. Oh, unfathomable source of the
> ten thousand gears! Blunt the sharpness, Untangle the knot, Soften the glare, Merge with dust. Oh,
> hidden deep but ever present! I do not know from whence it comes. It is the forefather of the
> downhill bikes.

> Sky and dirt are ruthless; They see the ten thousand gears as useless The wise are ruthless They
> see the riders as fools
>
> The space between sky and dirt is like a bellows. The shape changes but not the form; The more it
> moves, the more it yields. More gears count less. Hold fast to the trail.
>

> XI
>
> Thirty spokes share the wheel's hub; It is the center hole that makes it useful. Shape clay into a
> vessel; It is the space within that makes it useful. Cut doors and windows for a room; It is the
> holes which make it useful. Therefore profit comes from what is there; Usefulness comes from what
> is not there.
>

> XXI
>
> The greatest virtue is to ride one gear and one gear alone. The singlespeed is elusive and
> intangible. Oh, it is intangible and elusive, and yet within is image. Oh, it is elusive and
> intangible, and yet within is form. Oh, it is dim and dark, and yet within is essence. The essence
> is very real, and therein lies faith. From the very beginning until now singlespeeds have never
> been forgotten. Thus I perceive the creation. How do I know the ways of creation? Because of this.
>

> XXIV
>
> He who has his weight forward is not steady. He who sprints cannot maintain the pace. He who makes
> a show is not enlightened. He who is self-righteous is not respected. He who boasts achieves
> nothing. He who brags will not endure. According to the followers of singlespeeding, "These are
> extra gears and unnecessary weight," They do not bring happiness. Therefore followers of
> singlespeeding avoid them.
>

> CC

Man..... that's some deep.... too deep for shallow minds.

I have to go think about lighter stuff..........................

Marty

On 5 Dec 2002 06:28:43 -0800, Corvus Corvax <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> This used to be a mountain bike group, but lately it's turned into an ADULT BMX Group (read;
>> Singlespeeds)
>
> Singlespeeds rock. Singlespeeds roll. Singlespeeds rule. Singlespeeds are the alpha and the omega.
> Singlespeeds make you better looking, smarter, and better in bed. Singlespeeds are the only way to
> Bike the Apocalypse. Singlespeeds are your friend. Singlespeeds will make the world safe for
> democracy. Singlespeeds are the One True Way. Chicks dig singlespeeds. Singlespeeds cannot be
> stopped. Singlespeeds lead to enlightenment.

<words of truth snipped>

> CC

Corvus, you are my hero! You speak the truth.

--
Gman