Wheel Rebuild around Powertap

paulkmcmahon

Jan 25, 2013
Hi,

I am new here so thanks for any help you can give. I am currently on set of Mavic Ksyrium Equipes with the rear wheel being 24H with straight pull bladed spokes. I am looking to invest in a powermeter for some time and i just got my hands on a Cycleops Powertap Pro 24H real cheap. My question is this, can i rebuild my Mavic Ksyrium Equipes around the powertap. In other words, can i replace the 24 straight pull bladed spokes with 24 j bend spokes.

Thanks for the help,

Paul.

In general no. Mavic wheel systems use proprietary (read special and hard to find) spokes/nipples and rims. Keep the wheel you have as a spare and get a new wheel built around the PTap. DT Swiss has some nice rims that also come in 24h such as the RR440 standard or asymmetric.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by TheTallCyclist .

In general no. Mavic wheel systems use proprietary (read special and hard to find) spokes/nipples and rims. Keep the wheel you have as a spare and get a new wheel built around the PTap. DT Swiss has some nice rims that also come in 24h such as the RR440 standard or asymmetric.

Good luck!
Great thanks. Of course, that brings me to another question. I am a super clydesdale at 250+.

What rims and spokes would be strong enought to carry me?

Quote:Originally Posted by paulkmcmahon .
I am new here so thanks for any help you can give. I am currently on set of Mavic Ksyrium Equipes with the rear wheel being 24H with straight pull bladed spokes. I am looking to invest in a powermeter for some time and i just got my hands on a Cycleops Powertap Pro 24H real cheap. My question is this, can i rebuild my Mavic Ksyrium Equipes around the powertap. In other words, can i replace the 24 straight pull bladed spokes with 24 j bend spokes.

On the other hand, WHY NOT?

Just ensure that you use a SPOKE LENGTH CALCULATOR & that you understand how to use it to get the proper spoke length for each side of the wheel ...

FWIW. Almost everyone else will advise you to use double-butted spokes ...

I prefer to use straight 14g spokes & recommend that you do so also.

But, to each his own.

BTW. x3 lacing on BOTH sides is a good, standard lacing ...

IMO, x3 on the driveside & x2 on the non-driveside is better ...

Probably, x4 on the driveside & x3 on the non-driveside is best & is certainly doable with a Hi-Flange hub.

You do NOT want to use radial lacing on a rear wheel which uses J-bend spokes.

Originally Posted by paulkmcmahon .

Hi,

Thanks for the help,

Paul.
Why not just keep the Equipe rear wheel as is, and build a new rear wheel for the Powertap? For the added cost of a rim, you'll have a new powertap wheel for times you want to measure power, but still have a fine backup wheel for when you don't. Seems a waste to me to "cannabilize" an Equipe rear wheel just to get the rim......why throw out a good hub and spokes?

"Why not just keep the Equipe rear wheel as is, and build a new rear wheel for the Powertap?"

This.