Wheelset recommendation

Ctg

Guest
The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use and are prone to breaking
spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes and want to get a quality wheelset but there are so
many options so I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm light ~165 lbs., ride xc on a hardtail, no drops bigger than a foot or so and will be using rim
brakes. Price is an object so calls for CK or Phil hubs will be useless. Also if anyone knows a good
wheelbuilder in the midatlantic area speak up.

--
Chris
________________

try this...$99 http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?compflag=1&parentid=20320&company=Shimano&sec-
id=7559&subid=7567 -BigfootDenny

"ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use
and
> are prone to breaking spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes and want to get a quality
> wheelset but there are so many options so I'm
looking
> for recommendations.
>
> I'm light ~165 lbs., ride xc on a hardtail, no drops bigger than a foot or so and will be using
> rim brakes. Price is an object so calls for CK or
Phil
> hubs will be useless. Also if anyone knows a good wheelbuilder in the midatlantic area speak up.
>

> --
> Chris
> ________________
> www.chrisgroff.com

"ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use
and
> are prone to breaking spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes and want to get a quality
> wheelset but there are so many options so I'm
looking
> for recommendations.
>
> I'm light ~165 lbs., ride xc on a hardtail, no drops bigger than a foot or so and will be using
> rim brakes. Price is an object so calls for CK or
Phil
> hubs will be useless. Also if anyone knows a good wheelbuilder in the midatlantic area speak up.
>

> --
> Chris
> ________________
> www.chrisgroff.com

http://universalcycles.com/whcu.htm

At 165 lbs and x-c riding. Shimano XT hubs should be fine IMHO.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

ctg wrote:
> The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use and are prone to breaking
> spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes and want to get a quality wheelset but there are
> so many options so I'm looking for recommendations.

Learn to build your own.... It's really quite easy. You will save a bundle of $$$ and once your
riding buds learn of your skills you can make plenty of good karma / beer.

Cheaper than these, including the time spent building them???

try this...$99 http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?compflag=1&parentid=20320&company=Shimano&sec-
id=7559&subid=7567 (-BigfootDenny)

Note I said "cheaper" not necessarily better.

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

> ctg wrote:
> > The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use
and
> > are prone to breaking spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes
and
> > want to get a quality wheelset but there are so many options so I'm
looking
> > for recommendations.
>
> Learn to build your own.... It's really quite easy. You will save a bundle of $$$ and once your
> riding buds learn of your skills you can make plenty of good karma / beer.

"ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >will be using rim brakes.

Ummmm... they're machined sidewalls -- can use v-brakes or discs.... that's a nice added bonus, IMO.

> You missed this.

? (see above)

-BigfootDenny

"BigfootDenny" <denhall*NOSPAM*@ismi.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >will be using rim
brakes.

> Ummmm... they're machined sidewalls -- can use v-brakes or discs....
that's
> a nice added bonus, IMO.
> >
> > You missed this.
>
> ? (see above)
>
> -BigfootDenny

Didn't realize they were rim compatible, my mistake.

Chris

ctg wrote:

> The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use and are prone to breaking
> spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes and want to get a quality wheelset but there are
> so many options so I'm looking for recommendations.
>
> I'm light ~165 lbs., ride xc on a hardtail, no drops bigger than a foot or so and will be using
> rim brakes. Price is an object so calls for CK or Phil hubs will be useless. Also if anyone knows
> a good wheelbuilder in the midatlantic area speak up.
>
> --
> Chris
> ________________
> www.chrisgroff.com

Y'know, in the meantime, have a competent wheelbuilder true/tension up your existing set. Sounds to
me like your spokes may just be too loose overall.

I have always had good luck with Bontrager rims. Sounds like Mustangs or Mavericks would work fine
for you, and they can be found on sale on the web with a little searching.

I just built up a set of Mavics 517's for a friend of my son's, and I'll *never* buy those
for me. Ever.
--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

J'm Sm'th <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> ctg wrote:
> >
> > The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use and are prone to
> > breaking spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes and want to get a quality wheelset but
> > there are so many options so I'm looking for recommendations.
> >
> > I'm light ~165 lbs., ride xc on a hardtail, no drops bigger than a foot or so and will be using
> > rim brakes. Price is an object so calls for CK or Phil hubs will be useless. Also if anyone
> > knows a good wheelbuilder in the midatlantic area speak up.
> >
> > --
> > Chris
> > ________________
> > www.chrisgroff.com
>
> Y'know, in the meantime, have a competent wheelbuilder true/tension up your existing set. Sounds
> to me like your spokes may just be too loose overall.
>
> I have always had good luck with Bontrager rims. Sounds like Mustangs or Mavericks would work fine
> for you, and they can be found on sale on the web with a little searching.
>
> I just built up a set of Mavics 517's for a friend of my son's, and I'll *never* buy those for
> me. Ever.

Duh, everyone knows the 517 is a wannabe racer weenie rim. The Mavic 618 rules.

JD

> J'm Sm'th <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > ctg wrote:
> > >
> > > The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular
use and
> > > are prone to breaking spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes
and
> > > want to get a quality wheelset but there are so many options so I'm
looking
> > > for recommendations.
> > >
> > > I'm light ~165 lbs., ride xc on a hardtail, no drops bigger than a
foot or
> > > so and will be using rim brakes. Price is an object so calls for CK or
Phil
> > > hubs will be useless. Also if anyone knows a good wheelbuilder in the midatlantic area
> > > speak up.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Chris
> > > ________________
> > > www.chrisgroff.com
> >
> > Y'know, in the meantime, have a competent wheelbuilder true/tension up
your
> > existing set. Sounds to me like your spokes may just be too loose
overall.

> > I have always had good luck with Bontrager rims. Sounds like Mustangs
or
> > Mavericks would work fine for you, and they can be found on sale on the
web
> > with a little searching.
> >
> > I just built up a set of Mavics 517's for a friend of my son's, and I'll *never* buy those for
> > me. Ever.
>
> Duh, everyone knows the 517 is a wannabe racer weenie rim. The Mavic 618
rules.

> JDs

Although you can still dent 'em if you're experimenting with different pressures and don't quite
clear a rock garden on a bunnyhop.

Jon Bond living proof

JD wrote:

> J'm Sm'th <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > ctg wrote:
> > >
> > > The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use and are prone to
> > > breaking spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes and want to get a quality wheelset
> > > but there are so many options so I'm looking for recommendations.
> > >
> > > I'm light ~165 lbs., ride xc on a hardtail, no drops bigger than a foot or so and will be
> > > using rim brakes. Price is an object so calls for CK or Phil hubs will be useless. Also if
> > > anyone knows a good wheelbuilder in the midatlantic area speak up.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Chris
> > > ________________
> > > www.chrisgroff.com
> >
> > Y'know, in the meantime, have a competent wheelbuilder true/tension up your existing set. Sounds
> > to me like your spokes may just be too loose overall.
> >
> > I have always had good luck with Bontrager rims. Sounds like Mustangs or Mavericks would work
> > fine for you, and they can be found on sale on the web with a little searching.
> >
> > I just built up a set of Mavics 517's for a friend of my son's, and I'll *never* buy those for
> > me. Ever.
>
> Duh, everyone knows the 517 is a wannabe racer weenie rim. The Mavic 618 rules.
>
> JD

Could be. For me, I'll stick with Bontragers. For others, I'll not recommend the '517.

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

> ctg wrote:
> > The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use
and
> > are prone to breaking spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes
and
> > want to get a quality wheelset but there are so many options so I'm
looking
> > for recommendations.
>
> Learn to build your own.... It's really quite easy. You will save a bundle of $$$ and once your
> riding buds learn of your skills you can make plenty of good karma / beer.

"Save a bundle of Money" ??? Just a leetle exaggeration JG? Save $$$ on repairs and wheel work
if your hard on them but I could never seem to buy the pieces for what the sale prices are at.
Of course you don't have to settle for a silver rim, or Schrader hole, You can have DB black
spokes and silver nipples if you want, 15/17's one side 14/15's the other. mmmmmm black spokes &
silver nipples ;-)

--

D T W .../\\... wrote:
> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>ctg wrote:
>>
>>>The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use
>>
> and
>
>>>are prone to breaking spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes
>>
> and
>
>>>want to get a quality wheelset but there are so many options so I'm
>>
> looking
>
>>>for recommendations.
>>
>>Learn to build your own.... It's really quite easy. You will save a bundle of $$$ and once your
>>riding buds learn of your skills you can make plenty of good karma / beer.
>>

> "Save a bundle of Money" ??? Just a leetle exaggeration JG?

must be sleep deprivation...

I've gotten a total of 10 hours of sleep in the past 48.... 11pm to 7am at one job, leave straight
for the other work 7:15am till 3:30pm, come home and go to bed at 4pm, sleep untill one of the kids
breaks something or starts screaming, stare at the internet for an hour, eat, repeat.

Save
> $$$ on repairs and wheel work if your hard on them but I could never seem to buy the pieces for
> what the sale prices are at. Of course you don't have to settle for a silver rim, or Schrader
> hole, You can have DB black spokes and silver nipples if you want, 15/17's one side 14/15's the
> other. mmmmmm black spokes & silver nipples ;-)
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>
> I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

> D T W .../\\... wrote:
> > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > and

> > and

> > looking

> >>Learn to build your own.... It's really quite easy. You will save a bundle of $$$ and once your
> >>riding buds learn of your skills you can make plenty of good karma / beer.
> >>

> > "Save a bundle of Money" ??? Just a leetle exaggeration JG?
>

> must be sleep deprivation...
>
> I've gotten a total of 10 hours of sleep in the past 48.... 11pm to 7am at one job, leave straight
> for the other work 7:15am till 3:30pm, come home and go to bed at 4pm, sleep untill one of the
> kids breaks something or starts screaming, stare at the internet for an hour, eat, repeat.

you call 10 hours sleep deprivation? give depression/OCD/ADD (can't remember what one causes it. OCD
i think) induced insomnia a try. i am in bed for 11 or 12 hours, but i am lucky if i get 2 or 3
hours of sleep. I would love to get a good restful 10, or even 8 hours of sleep.

BTW, how is the new job going (can't remember if you have said or not)? anything interesting
happen yet?
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

"J'm Sm'th" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Y'know, in the meantime, have a competent wheelbuilder true/tension up
your
> existing set. Sounds to me like your spokes may just be too loose
overall.

I've had them trued by three of the four lbs' that I trust over the past year or so. Either they all
suck (one shop does suck, the wheel disintegrated midride after they rebuilt it, ok so I don't trust
them anymore) or it's the quality of the components, or maybe both, I don't really know and I'm sick
of maintaining them. They were just trued a few months ago, and if you live in the northeast, you
know how few rides I've gotten in this spring, and they still went out of true.

> I have always had good luck with Bontrager rims. Sounds like Mustangs or Mavericks would work fine
> for you, and they can be found on sale on the
web
> with a little searching.
>
> I just built up a set of Mavics 517's for a friend of my son's, and I'll *never* buy those for
> me. Ever.

Why?

Chris

> --
> J'm
>

> To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

> ctg wrote:
> > The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use
and
> > are prone to breaking spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes
and
> > want to get a quality wheelset but there are so many options so I'm
looking
> > for recommendations.
>
> Learn to build your own.... It's really quite easy. You will save a bundle of $$$ and once your
> riding buds learn of your skills you can make plenty of good karma / beer.

I'd like to learn one day, I've have been collecting info on building and truing, but it's not gonna
happen anytime soon, too many other things taking my time and space.

Chris