Wheelset recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
"ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > > Duh, everyone knows the 517 is a wannabe racer weenie rim. The Mavic
> 618
> > rules.
> > >
> > > JD
>
> Never heard of it, initial googling turns up a bunch of German hits, I'll keep looking.
>
> Chris

or just check the mavic website...

http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/comp-prod_fiche?produitsid=58&lg=uk

http://tinyurl.com/ekx9

Jon Bond

Technician wrote:
> ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
>
>>I've gotten a total of 10 hours of sleep in the past 48.... 11pm to 7am at one job, leave straight
>>for the other work 7:15am till 3:30pm, come home and go to bed at 4pm, sleep untill one of the
>>kids breaks something or starts screaming, stare at the internet for an hour, eat, repeat.
>>
>
>
> you call 10 hours sleep deprivation? give depression/OCD/ADD (can't remember what one causes it.
> OCD i think) induced insomnia a try. i am in bed for 11 or 12 hours, but i am lucky if i get 2 or
> 3 hours of sleep. I would love to get a good restful 10, or even 8 hours of sleep.

I didn't say the 10 hours was continous

> BTW, how is the new job going (can't remember if you have said or not)? anything interesting
> happen yet?

Which one? I have two.... One working security at the airport the other is a manufacturing job
through a temp agency. They both suck, but it's paying the bills, sorta.

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
>
>
> Technician wrote:
> > ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> >
> >>I've gotten a total of 10 hours of sleep in the past 48.... 11pm to 7am at one job, leave
> >>straight for the other work 7:15am till 3:30pm, come home and go to bed at 4pm, sleep untill one
> >>of the kids breaks something or starts screaming, stare at the internet for an hour, eat,
> >>repeat.
> >>
> >
> >
> > you call 10 hours sleep deprivation? give depression/OCD/ADD (can't remember what one causes it.
> > OCD i think) induced insomnia a try. i am in bed for 11 or 12 hours, but i am lucky if i get 2
> > or 3 hours of sleep. I would love to get a good restful 10, or even 8 hours of sleep.
>
>
> I didn't say the 10 hours was continous

duly noted.

>
>
>
> > BTW, how is the new job going (can't remember if you have said or not)? anything interesting
> > happen yet?
>
> Which one? I have two.... One working security at the airport the other is a manufacturing job
> through a temp agency. They both suck, but it's paying the bills, sorta.
>
>

Well, i was speaking of the airport job as i wasn't aware of the manufacturing job. i can imagine
how that one would suck, but i would think the airport security would have at least some interesting
points, or is it more monotonous than i think.

i put in at a security agency. only required an HS diploma so i think it is lower than rent-a-cop,
and i doubt it pays well and am pretty sure the hours will stink, but like you say, it would help
pay bills.
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

JD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> J'm Sm'th <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > ctg wrote:
> > >
> > > The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular
use and
> > > are prone to breaking spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes
and
> > > want to get a quality wheelset but there are so many options so I'm
looking
> > > for recommendations.
> > >
> > > I'm light ~165 lbs., ride xc on a hardtail, no drops bigger than a
foot or
> > > so and will be using rim brakes. Price is an object so calls for CK or
Phil
> > > hubs will be useless. Also if anyone knows a good wheelbuilder in the midatlantic area
> > > speak up.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Chris
> > > ________________
> > > www.chrisgroff.com
> >
> > Y'know, in the meantime, have a competent wheelbuilder true/tension up
your
> > existing set. Sounds to me like your spokes may just be too loose
overall.
> >
> > I have always had good luck with Bontrager rims. Sounds like Mustangs
or
> > Mavericks would work fine for you, and they can be found on sale on the
web
> > with a little searching.
> >
> > I just built up a set of Mavics 517's for a friend of my son's, and I'll *never* buy those for
> > me. Ever.
>
> Duh, everyone knows the 517 is a wannabe racer weenie rim. The Mavic 618
rules.

618? Huh - not even on the map! D521 - that's where ya wanna be looking. I mean, If I can't bust or
even bend one when I weigh 155(ish) lbs, then they gotta be tough.

Shaun 'aRe' - You're just a 'know-nothing blow-hard retro-grouch curmudgeon'.

ctg wrote:
>
> "J'm Sm'th" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Y'know, in the meantime, have a competent wheelbuilder true/tension up
> your
> > existing set. Sounds to me like your spokes may just be too loose
> overall.
> >
>
> I've had them trued by three of the four lbs' that I trust over the past year or so. Either they
> all suck (one shop does suck, the wheel disintegrated midride after they rebuilt it, ok so I don't
> trust them anymore) or it's the quality of the components, or maybe both, I don't really know and
> I'm sick of maintaining them. They were just trued a few months ago, and if you live in the
> northeast, you know how few rides I've gotten in this spring, and they still went out of true.
>
> > I have always had good luck with Bontrager rims. Sounds like Mustangs or Mavericks would work
> > fine for you, and they can be found on sale on the
> web
> > with a little searching.
> >
> > I just built up a set of Mavics 517's for a friend of my son's, and I'll *never* buy those for
> > me. Ever.
>
> Why?
>
> Chris

To put it succinctly, they suck. I don't think current production x517's are the same as the
original x517's. Bent sidewalls new from the factory, and *really* hard to radial true where the rim
is welded together. Plus, they just didn't 'snap to' when getting up to tension.

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

J'm Sm'th <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ctg wrote:
> >
> > "J'm Sm'th" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Y'know, in the meantime, have a competent wheelbuilder true/tension up
> > your
> > > existing set. Sounds to me like your spokes may just be too loose
> > overall.
> > >
> >
> > I've had them trued by three of the four lbs' that I trust over the past year or so. Either they
> > all suck (one shop does suck, the wheel disintegrated midride after they rebuilt it, ok so I
> > don't trust them anymore) or it's the quality of the components, or maybe both, I don't really
> > know and I'm sick of maintaining them. They were just trued a few months ago, and if you live in
> > the northeast, you know how few rides
I've
> > gotten in this spring, and they still went out of true.
> >
> > > I have always had good luck with Bontrager rims. Sounds like Mustangs
or
> > > Mavericks would work fine for you, and they can be found on sale on
the
> > web
> > > with a little searching.
> > >
> > > I just built up a set of Mavics 517's for a friend of my son's, and
I'll
> > > *never* buy those for me. Ever.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > Chris
>
> To put it succinctly, they suck. I don't think current production x517's
are
> the same as the original x517's. Bent sidewalls new from the factory, and *really* hard to radial
> true where the rim is welded together. Plus, they
just
> didn't 'snap to' when getting up to tension.

Agghhhh - wheels is fer pussies.

Shaun aRe

I'm running Sun Mammoth w/ XTR Hubs that I purchased through Jensonusa.com. I haven't trued them
since I've had them...about a year now. In fact, I had the front wheel come off my rack and bounce
down the road at 50+ MPH.

-DM

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> The wheels that came on my bike need TLC every 1-2 months of regular use and are prone to breaking
> spokes. I'm tired of truing and replacing spokes and want to get a quality wheelset but there are
> so many options so I'm looking for recommendations.
>
> I'm light ~165 lbs., ride xc on a hardtail, no drops bigger than a foot or so and will be using
> rim brakes. Price is an object so calls for CK or Phil hubs will be useless. Also if anyone knows
> a good wheelbuilder in the midatlantic area speak up.
>
>
> --
> Chris
> ________________
> www.chrisgroff.com
>
>

Derek wrote:
> I had the front wheel come off my rack and bounce down the road at 50+ MPH.

I just HATE it when _that_ happens... mine was somewhere on I-95 South in N.C. The wheels was fine
(despite it being radially laced) but I lost my QR.

Status
Not open for further replies.