Where are you from,what do you do?

daisygirl53 said:
I am new to this site. I am from Tennessee, living in southwest Florida. I am searching for training advice. I am new to cycling and want to improve my average speed as well as my distance. Any advice will be appreciated.:)
INTERVALS!!!! Hate them, love them.

I'm from New Orleans. I work for a large construction company. Single with grown kids. Play guitar for my own entertainment. Race vintage motorcycles.

I live in the Southern USA, have been riding for fun over the past 40 years and have now decided to get serious about cycling before I turn 60. I need to learn a bunch of things fairly quickly, so I thought I would come out and cyberhang with the younger crowd who I'm sure know a whole lot more about this stuff than I do.

Phase 1-get a new bike. My current ride is a 37 year old Peugeot. I'm in seek and discover mode. What criteria do I apply to ensure I make a good purchase. Looking to spend in the 750.00 to 1,200.00 USD range. Any help from you youngsters is much appreciated. Sage advice appreciated too, if any is out there to be had.:confused: :confused:

Hi all,

I'm 30 Israeli and I'm in Albuquerque NM.

I relocated the states a few months ago and because it's a wonderful place the do mountain biking, I decided to get more serious into MB.

I bought a nice Kona bike, and went riding down the Sandia Mt :rolleyes: .

Hope to get a partner to ride with, so if you know anyone from the area of ABQ, NM just tell me.

Enjoy the ride!

Offir

hello to all...I am from Italy!!!I'm i girl-cyclist.I love the cycling!!!!I live where the next year they make the championship European junior of cycling....I live to Stresa....

Hello everyone, I'm Yorkshireman (my real name's Colin Nelson but I've answered to Yorkie/Yorkshireman for so long that I use that 'tag' on all the fora I'm subscribed to) born in Bradford West Yorkshire (UK). Been riding a bicycle (off and on) since my fifth birthday, and now that I'm retired I am able to ride when and where I want (subject to recent lung problems - due to working with asbestos fifty years ago). Main cycling interests are touring/camping and day rides. I tend to use a bike as my main transport within a radius of about thirty miles of home (I now live near Lincoln having moved here about fifteen years ago) as the surrounding area is pretty flat. Here are a couple of shots of my present touring bike (a much modded TREK700)

2007_0827Trek7000004.jpg

2007_0827Trek7000001.jpg

I've had this bike (from new) since 1999, and the only original parts are the frame, rear rack, triple chain-set and cranks, headset cups (I've replaced the ball bearings a few times) and the mudguards. I have in the past owned up to six machines at one time, but at the moment I only have the Trek and a BSO (Bike Shaped Object)

2007_0722Shopper0001.jpg

Known as 'The Shopper', used for short runs to the local shops etc. Married (over twenty odd years) to Pam, we have a son - Chris (nearly eighteen) who is a very keen sportsman - plays football, tennis, and basketball to a very high standard for local teams. Chris is going away to college shortly to attend a sports academy specializing in basketball coaching (he's already completed a year at the local college and gained a diploma in Sports Fitness and Coaching), so we reckon it's going to be a bit quieter around here for a bit. I've recently started 'playing around' with a website building thingy (should be a link here somewhere) and recording some of the local cycle rides, so if anyone is so inclined please have a look.

I reckon that's enough of my ramblings for the time being so ... Be seeing you all around?

Hi, I am an avid cyclist from southern New Hampshire, quite possibly one of the best areas to cycle in the US (if you disregard the fact that our season is cut short by a few months of snow and ice!). We have a nice mix of flats near the coast, the foothills immediately to the north, and the White Mountains where the annual Mt. Washington Auto Road hill climb takes place each year, arguably one of the toughest hill climbs in the world.

Although I am not built for climbing, that is how I spend the majority of my riding time. I have ridden the Mt. Ascutney hill climb several years, and did the Mt. Washington hill climb in '06.

I am also a technology enthusiast and recently got together with some like-minded friends to create an online community for cyclists called www.CyclistNexus.com. CyclistNexus combines social networking and purpose-built tools for cyclists of all levels such as route/cue sheet creation, group ride and event management, as well as training data logging, reporting and sharing. Watching CyclistNexus gain momentum as more members join the community, and the opportunity it has provided to interact with others that are passionate about cycling has been a really great experience.

I am from ohio and I am retired and I when I ride it is on two older Bikes a 1999 GIANT Eddie Bauer eb spirit 27 Speeds and a 2003 Trek 7200 Multitrak I hope to find more INFO on the Giant eddie bauer see ya later JNL3

Hey Everyone,

I'm in SoCal, and a newbie to this site too! I'm a "people person," so I'm here to make new friends and get great advice about riding :)

Well lets see where to begin. To start with im originally from norton ohio recently moved a few miles south to a little town called clinton (few miles north of canal fulton) Its a very cyclist friendly town. I work at the local bike shop here in clinton as seen in my sig. I ware a few hats so to speak. Im the web master for the web site and all handle sales and service instore as well. Currently im here most days by my self while the owner who just had his first son handles that very large responsability hehe.
So if your ever in clinton ohio stop by the shop and check us out.

Greetings from Oregon - western part in the scenic mid-Willamette valley. Great biking region and live in a bike friendly college town. I am mid-50s male; been biking on and off for fun, fitness and recreation for about 15 years, more regularly this year (after early retirement) and now into longer weekend, event/charity rides of 25-60 miles. Shopping for my first road bike after managing a recent hilly half century on my aging mountain bike. Interested in bike touring some day.
Cheers

Screenwasher: It is a pleasure to see someone my own age out on these forums. If you are thinking about touring and haven't tried Adventure Cycling Association yet, I suggest you give them a try. Great organization and fantastic information source as well as many, many organized tours. Give 'em a shot.
www.adventurecycling.org .................. Declan

I'm a relatively new rider from Tarrytown/White Plains, New York.
Age 54, Male, discovered biking for fun/ exercise/ exploring/ socializing in April. Brother in law got me to ride in NYC 5 Boro tour. Bought basic Fuji Crosstown comfort bike. I owe him my re-introduction to biking.

Joined local Westchester Cycle Club and have been riding a few times each week. Have logged just under 1000 miles since I bought the bike in April.
Delighted to see improvements in my endurance.

Current bike is 32 lbs. stripped down. I carry pouch/pannier/tools, etc. Yet I'm having a blast with the other riders. Am "bitten" by the sport and am now considering looking for an affordable road bike for future riding with the club.

Best, Ave

Avram53: Welcome aboard. Years back in the late 70s/ early 80s when I lived in NYC, I rode in the 5 boros tour for a number of years. Still have my reflector vests that Citibank handed out to each participant before the tour began. I think I remember the start was along Avenue of the Americas down around West 4th then north through Central Park down to Adam Clayton Powell Blvd, east to FDR, on and on and on then ending with a kick over the Verrazano and down into Fort Toten (I think) where the party was held. Is the tour still similar. Always had fun on that tour. In the late 60s used to ride Route 9 from Wappingers Falls to Tarrytown and back. I don't know if that is still possible with traffic growth and whatnot. In the late 60s it was not that big a deal. There were lots of great places to ride around where you live and they were all beautiful. Enjoy and good luck with the research on your touring bike. I'm looking also. Enjoy ..... Declan05

Declan05 said:
Screenwasher: It is a pleasure to see someone my own age out on these forums. If you are thinking about touring and haven't tried Adventure Cycling Association yet, I suggest you give them a try. Great organization and fantastic information source as well as many, many organized tours. Give 'em a shot.
www.adventurecycling.org .................. Declan
Hi Declan05 - Thanks for the friendly welcoming msg. You must be a youngster by Florida standards! Will check out the adventure cycling website. Have to get a decent bike first though. My Trek Antelope 820 (circa mid-1990s) has served well all these years and will remain a loyal workhorse for running around town. Take care.

Declan, Thanks for your welcome. I'm originally from the other side of the Hudson River, near Nyack. But I'm really enjoying the club rides in Westchester and Putnam Counties along with SW corner of Connecticut. There still are many beautiful back roads. I love my Fuji Crosstown 3.0 "town" bike and love to tease back at all the riders on their serious road bikes who give me constact "heck".
Looking forward to reading this forum.

Best, Ave

Hello all,
My name is Bryan. I'm from Miami, but now live in Chicago. I got into biking about a year + ago and have been, shall we say, obsessed since? What do I do? I work a crummy retail tech job at the moment. However unless I'm horribly wrong, I should be getting a job at a LBS soon. Needless to say I'm pretty excited about that. In summary, I like bikes.

Hi, I'm Gareth, I live in York (the Old one), UK. I have been riding mountain bikes (including racing and coaching) since 1992.

I currently ride a Brontrager Race frame, with Pace RC38 Airforce shocks and XT throughout (expect the front mech which is LX, because the last longer, and a Hope Mini on the front).

I have also just taken delivery of a bargain 2006 Felt 65, with Bontrager Select Wheels - so that's all my free time gone for the next couple of months :D.

Now considering a Chris Boardman courier bike to replace my aging tourer, and make the ride to work more fun.

I have gained so much information from reading these forums that I thought I would join in case I could share some of my knowledge / opinions.

BB