Where the cyclists in America belong: back alleys, gutters andsidewalks

On Apr 25, 5:19 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Pat in Upstate New York wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > The raccoons and the squirrels and the deer and the antelope are all
> > doing fine up here.[...]

> Antelope?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

Yep, antelopes for the lions that live in the boondocks.

They ride motorcycle and put their nose where doesn't belong.

wrote:
> Pat in Upstate New York wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > The raccoons and the squirrels and the deer and the antelope are all
> > doing fine up here.[...]

> Antelope?

Okay, no altelope locally; but remember the old song "home on the
range". Since I was using "deer"; I had to use antelope because of
the lyrics "... where the deer and the antelope play...."

In article <[email protected]>,
Pat <[email protected]> writes:
> On Apr 25, 5:19 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Pat in Upstate New York wrote:
>>
>> > [...]
>> > The raccoons and the squirrels and the deer and the antelope are all
>> > doing fine up here.[...]

> > Antelope?
> >

> Okay, no altelope locally; but remember the old song "home on the
> range". Since I was using "deer"; I had to use antelope because of
> the lyrics "... where the deer and the antelope play...."

from:
http://www.silver.org/humor/woodyallen.html
--
"A Woody Allen Monologue from the 1960s

'Here's a story you're not going to believe. I shot a moose once.
I was hunting in upstate New York, and I shot a moose.'"
&c.
--

So I guess you're where the deer and the moose play.

And maybe at least one Buffalo.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Apr 26, 4:20 am, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>         Pat <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > On Apr 25, 5:19 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >  > Antelope?

> > Okay, no altelope locally; but remember the old song "home on the
> > range".  Since I was using "deer"; I had to use antelope because of
> > the lyrics "... where the deer and the antelope play...."

> from:
>        http://www.silver.org/humor/woodyallen.html
> --
>   "A Woody Allen Monologue from the 1960s
>
>  'Here's a story you're not going to believe. I shot a moose once.
>   I was hunting in upstate New York, and I shot a moose.'"
>   &c.
> --
>
> So I guess you're where the deer and the moose play.
>
> And maybe at least one Buffalo.

Gee, I WISH the bills played. We don't have professional football, we
have the Bills.

There are some moose around in the Adirondacks. There are some elk up
the road on a farm. Plus there are always Jackalopes around.

Pat wrote:

>> And maybe at least one Buffalo.
>>

> Gee, I WISH the bills played. We don't have professional football, we
> have the Bills.

Buffalo, the city, is about as dead as it's namesake around there. If
Pat lived in a place where the population doubled every twenty years
rather than halving every twenty, his whole outlook would be different.

On Apr 26, 8:32 pm, Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
> Pat wrote:
> >> And maybe at least one Buffalo.

> > Gee, I WISH the bills played.  We don't have professional football, we
> > have the Bills.

> Buffalo, the city, is about as dead as it's namesake around there. If
> Pat lived in a place where the population doubled every twenty years
> rather than halving every twenty, his whole outlook would be different.

True, my outlook would probably be very differernt. It would probably
be hateful and egocentric and arrogant and close-minded like many of
the people in the NG. So all-in-all, I think I'll stay where I am and
continue to enjoy myself and my environment.

"Eric Vey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pat wrote:
>
> >> And maybe at least one Buffalo.
> >>

> > Gee, I WISH the bills played. We don't have professional football, we
> > have the Bills.

> Buffalo, the city, is about as dead as it's namesake around there. If
> Pat lived in a place where the population doubled every twenty years
> rather than halving every twenty, his whole outlook would be different.

You can say that again.

"ComandanteBanana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

The Bible in being so vague is left to many interpretations. Like the
quoted above...

(Isa. 11:6):

The wolf shall also dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie
down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling
together; and a little child shall lead them.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

---------------------

Barack Obama has been trying to convince us that his bitterness line is
straight out of the Bible.

So.

I think the fatling is Hilary and he is the calf and they'll finally make
peace real soon.

mk5000

"fish and guests stink after three days"--Ben Franklin

Pat wrote:
It would probably
> be hateful and egocentric and arrogant and close-minded like many of
> the people in the NG.

You mistake what you see. People here have been much more tolerant and
open-minded towards you than you have been towards them. You have been
the egocentric one. You keep insisting that how and where you live is
how other people live.

Here is the proof:

>So all-in-all, I think I'll stay where I am and
>continue to enjoy myself and my environment.

How egotistical is that? You live in a place that most people are
leaving because there is no work there anymore, leaving behind what
their taxes built. People wouldn't even care about that, but then, you
brag about how empty the roads are where you live. That's egotistical.

Here's a clue for you, Pat. If you lived where the population doubled
every 20 years and has been doubling every 20 years for the last 80
years, you would know that the roads can't possibly keep pace with that.
All the roads and streets would have to be widened every 30 or so years
to keep congestion down. I think that even you would admit that it can't
be done.

And when people say, "Can't be done, there must be a better way" you
chime in with "Well I don't understand what the fuss is about, I don't
have any trouble."

That's egotistical.

In article <[email protected]>,
"marika" <[email protected]> writes:

> "ComandanteBanana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> The Bible in being so vague is left to many interpretations. Like the
> quoted above...
>
> (Isa. 11:6):
>
> The wolf shall also dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie
> down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling
> together; and a little child shall lead them.
>
> WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Life will be good again for everybody,
as it was simply meant to be, before
people started complicatin' things up and
fscking up The World with human infictions
and trivial beefs.

The time's a-comin' when peace will reign
(and the USA won't.)

--
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

"George Conklin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Eric Vey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> > Gee, I WISH the bills played. We don't have professional football, we
>> > have the Bills.

>> Buffalo, the city, is about as dead as it's namesake around there. If
>> Pat lived in a place where the population doubled every twenty years
>> rather than halving every twenty, his whole outlook would be different.

> You can say that again.

That

On Apr 16, 3:58 pm, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]>
wrote:

> WHAT DO OUR FRIENDS WHO ARE EXPERTS AT SURVIVAL SAY? ;)

Never leave your house and cars might not hit you.

Listen to me, I am Commandante Apeshit and therefore an expert.

On Apr 24, 12:57 pm, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Apr 24, 11:18 am, [email protected] wrote:
> > You are NOT among those contributing to a solution. You are firmly in
> > the camp that contributes toward the problem. Your contribution is
> > your constant "DANGER!!! DANGER!!!" whining and wailing.

> Yep, "LION, LION!!!" and now let's put the beast in the cage.

That should be our mantra. "LYIN'! LYIN'!"

On Apr 26, 10:51 pm, Eric Vey <[email protected]> wrote:
> Pat wrote:
>
> It would probably
>
> > be hateful and egocentric and arrogant and close-minded like many of
> > the people in the NG.

> You mistake what you see. People here have been much more tolerant and
> open-minded towards you than you have been towards them. You have been
> the egocentric one. You keep insisting that how and where you live is
> how other people live.
>
> Here is the proof:
>
>  >So all-in-all, I think I'll stay where I am and
>  >continue to enjoy myself and my environment.
>
> How egotistical is that? You live in a place that most people are
> leaving because there is no work there anymore, leaving behind what
> their taxes built. People wouldn't even care about that, but then, you
> brag about how empty the roads are where you live. That's egotistical.
>
> Here's a clue for you, Pat. If you lived where the population doubled
> every 20 years and has been doubling every 20 years for the last 80
> years, you would know that the roads can't possibly keep pace with that.
> All the roads and streets would have to be widened every 30 or so years
> to keep congestion down. I think that even you would admit that it can't
> be done.
>
> And when people say, "Can't be done, there must be a better way" you
> chime in with "Well I don't understand what the fuss is about, I don't
> have any trouble."
>
> That's egotistical.

The primary difference is that you (and others) keeps saying things
like "if YOU lived..." or "if YOU did" or "people should..." or "the
world would be better if..." and I say things like "I think that I
will...".

You think the whole world revolves around you and that other people
should comform to your thoughts. I think that I like living how I
live, living where I live and doing what I do. Liking my life doesn't
make me egocentric -- if makes me sane. You think "I don't like such
and such and people should change to correct it". I think that if I
don't like such and such, either I change it or I change myself. It
is because I think that you have the right to live as you like (within
reason and the law) and I'm fine with that.

Commandante Apeshit wrote:
> On Apr 16, 3:58 pm, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> WHAT DO OUR FRIENDS WHO ARE EXPERTS AT SURVIVAL SAY? ;)

> Never leave your house and cars might not hit you.

More people die in bed than any other place.

In article <ae83b443-82a7-4b6f-b897-72d354099456@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
ComandanteBanana <[email protected]> writes:

> WHAT DO OUR FRIENDS WHO ARE EXPERTS AT SURVIVAL SAY? ;)

You don't need to yell.

Anyway, the first rule in getting by in life is: never run
out of toilet paper.

In an emergency, a bag of potato chips makes pretty
good kindling. It also makes pretty good BBQ starter.

--

On Apr 27, 11:39 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <ae83b443-82a7-4b6f-b897-72d354099...@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
>         ComandanteBanana <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > WHAT DO OUR FRIENDS WHO ARE EXPERTS AT SURVIVAL SAY? ;)

> You don't need to yell.
>
> Anyway, the first rule in getting by in life is: never run
> out of toilet paper.
>
> In an emergency, a bag of potato chips makes pretty
> good kindling.  It also makes pretty good BBQ starter.
>
> --
> Nothing is safe from me.
> I'm really at:
> tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

No, I thought the first rule for travelers was to always carry your
own towel because if you are thoughtful enough to carry a towel, then
you never know what else you might be carrying (or something like
that).

Pat wrote:
> On Apr 27, 11:39 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>> In article <ae83b443-82a7-4b6f-b897-72d354099...@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
>> ComandanteBanana <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> WHAT DO OUR FRIENDS WHO ARE EXPERTS AT SURVIVAL SAY? ;)

>> You don't need to yell.
>>
>> Anyway, the first rule in getting by in life is: never run
>> out of toilet paper.
>>
>> In an emergency, a bag of potato chips makes pretty
>> good kindling. It also makes pretty good BBQ starter.
>>
>> --
>> Nothing is safe from me.
>> I'm really at:
>> tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

> No, I thought the first rule for travelers was to always carry your
> own towel because if you are thoughtful enough to carry a towel, then
> you never know what else you might be carrying (or something like
> that).

DON'T PANIC!

ZBicyclist <[email protected]> wrote:
> Commandante Apeshit wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 3:58 pm, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> WHAT DO OUR FRIENDS WHO ARE EXPERTS AT SURVIVAL SAY? ;)

>> Never leave your house and cars might not hit you.

> More people die in bed than any other place.

Is it time to quote Mrs. Petersky again? I think it is:

So, apparently the compelling question is, how dangerous is cycling
compared to other activities of daily life? A 1999 study in Britain of
emergency room incidents came up with these statistics: While 172
cyclists were killed in 1999, 5,945 people were hospitalised after
trouser-related accidents and 13,132 from injuries inflicted by
vegetables and 96,000 from accidents occurring while they were
sleeping, relaxing, sitting or lying around.

Here's more:

"The trend was balanced only by the drop in injuries inflicted by
armchairs, down from 18,690 to 16,662. Nevertheless, armchair injuries
'leave little room for complacency', New Scientist says today, adding
that injuries inflicted by vegetables 'remain unacceptably high' at
13,132. Hospital admissions caused by socks and tights rose from 9,843
to 10,773, while birdbath accidents almost trebled to 311."

You should also note that tea cozy injuries nearly doubled, from 20 to
an alarming 37. 146 were hurt using bread bins and 329 from toilet
roll holder related injuries.

So, what are you going to do? Vaguely worry about the dangers of
cycling while being stuck in some malodorous steel box in an
interminable line of cars, fuming at your sorry situation?

Or be on your bike, out on God's Green Earth and be free!

------Message-ID: <GOcjb.775490$YN5.759183@sccrnsc01>-----------------

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"The young always have the same problem how to rebel and