where to buy bike tools/bike stand

Bob Sapp

Guest
I've been trying to find a place in the San Francisco Bay area or online that sells bike workstation
stands like they have in the bike shop but cheaper and some decent bike tools for cheap.

I went to one shop in Menlo Park and they quoted me $155 for a consumer bike workstation stand. I
looked at the picture which amounted to a clamp on a tripod... I want one but not at $155!

Also, I'm trying to get a full assortment of bike tools besides my hex key and regular screwdriver.
I'd like to get the lockring spanner, spoke wrench, etc.

Anyone have any leads? Thanks.

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 06:53:02 GMT, Bob Sapp <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've been trying to find a place in the San Francisco Bay area or online that sells bike
>workstation stands like they have in the bike shop but cheaper and some decent bike tools
>for cheap.
-----
This shop in Florida has Minoura RS-4000 workstands for a good price. You'll pay $16 for shipping. I
ordered one a few weeks ago and got it for $105 total.

imo, this workstand is not as sturdy as a good Park Tool one. If you have a heavy MT bike, you
likely won't be able to lock it in at all the angles. But I work on road bikes and it meets my needs
nicely, so far.

One nice feature of this one is the height of the main clamp is adjustable -- it expands/contracts
like a telescope.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/bikeswholesalecom/plistings/list/all/dept6/index.html?col=2&dir=-1

or try this shorter url . . .

http://tinyurl.com/h861

"Bob Sapp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've been trying to find a place in the San Francisco Bay area or online that sells bike
> workstation stands like they have in the bike shop but cheaper and some decent bike tools
> for cheap.
>
> I went to one shop in Menlo Park and they quoted me $155 for a consumer bike workstation stand. I
> looked at the picture which amounted to a clamp on a tripod... I want one but not at $155!
>
> Also, I'm trying to get a full assortment of bike tools besides my hex key and regular
> screwdriver. I'd like to get the lockring spanner, spoke wrench, etc.
>
> Anyone have any leads? Thanks.

Don't skimp on a repair stand...you can find Minoura and Performance models that cost half of what a
low-end Park (PCS-1) will, but it won't be worth
it. As much as you'll be in and out of a repair stand in the next few decades, be glad you have a
nice clamp and tripod.

Regarding tools: Park stuff is nice, but it's more than the average consumer needs. I feel Pedro's
stuff is, for the most part, a nicer product - and is not as expensive. Even most Lifu tools are
good enough for the casual home user. The only place I'd be afraid to skimp on tools is the cable
cutter. Like the repair stand, buy a good one that'll last.

If you can't shop at a LBS - you really should be - my favorite web retailers are:

http://www.cambriabike.com - slow shipping (10-14 days for basic FedEx), good people
http://www.jensonusa.com - great prices, very "dependable" http://www.pricepoint.com - can sometimes
generate amazing prices

Chris

The Tucson Bender wrote:
>>I've been trying to find a place in the San Francisco Bay area or online that sells bike
>>workstation stands like they have in the bike shop but cheaper and some decent bike tools
>>for cheap.
> -----
> This shop in Florida has Minoura RS-4000 workstands for a good price. You'll pay $16 for shipping.
> I ordered one a few weeks ago and got it for $105 total.

Nashbar has that one for a little less ($80 without shipping).

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=2072

They also have the Minoura RS-X stand on sale for $45 plus shipping. That's the one that folds into
an X and holds the bike by the front fork drop outs and bottom bracket shell, so it's definitely not
as versatile as one that allows you to turn the bike 360 degrees. It should be sufficient for
routine maintenance, and would also be portable enough to carry to races, rides, etc., though.

http://tinyurl.com/h87e

<snip

REI - pretty simple.. I've been doing the same, you can return ANY product, ANY TIME after you
bought it - used it, broken it.. they will take it back.. this is NOT the goal, but nice as I have
tried many bike related things there and returned many in exchange for others (usually more
expensive). This warranty alone is worth a lot. I would not even consider ordering over the web
unless it was something I really wanted and could not find it at REI.. (don't get me wrong, I have
ordered many items over the web - just not bike related)..

They have nice stands too.. and I would not hesitate spending $150 for something I'd use for
years to come..

sc