Where to learn basic skill??

Philip Gerding

Guest
Where would you suggest one go to learn basic, and perhaps more, skills for bike repair? There is no
decent local bike shop here. I dislike riding around all day without a clue in how to fix things.
Anyplace online? I live in Galveston Texas. thanks.

Philip Gerding <[email protected]> wrote:
>Where would you suggest one go to learn basic, and perhaps more, skills for bike repair? There is
>no decent local bike shop here. I dislike riding around all day without a clue in how to fix
>things. Anyplace online? I live in Galveston Texas. thanks.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

Start with the yellow box near the bottom.

--
Steven O'Neill [email protected] www.bridgetolls.org

In article <[email protected]>, "Philip Gerding"
<[email protected]> writes:
> Reading Sheldon Brown is certainly great fun and offers good information. But what I want is to
> learn -preferably hands on-how to perform basic tasks. I DO NOT wish to take my bike apart on the
> garage floor while reading the "how to do it" text of either a web site or a book. Our local
> Community college has no classes so I was wondering what other suggestions there might be. PG

Here in Vancouver BC, there are a number of community-based bike shops, and at least one
commercially-oriented bike shop that offer hands-on instruction. Also, there are Continuing
Education night courses offered here for bike repair.

I don't know where you are, or if where you are has anything similar.

So I guess the best suggestion I can make is to move here. The winters here are tolerable for
riding, anywayz.

The second-best suggestion I can make is to Google search on: "bicycle repair" course [your
city/town] and see what pops up. Or enquire at your nearest cycling club.

The third-best suggestion I can make is to pester/cajole the mechs at your local bike shops, but
that's a touch-&-go affair -- you don't want to disturb ppl from earning their living and doing
their service-oriented thing of re-enhappying[*] folks with busted bikes. Unless you make it worth
their while. But they might at least be able to give you voice-of-experience hints for your quest.

cheers, Tom

[*] I know, I know.