Where to start with interval training?

lanierb

Aug 12, 2004
I'm looking for advice on how to do interval training. I've been cycling recreationally for many years but only using it for training for the past few years. I want to increase my speed (say, on a 10 or 15 mile moderately hilly time trial) and I've been told that the best way to do that is interval training. The thing is, everywhere I look they suggest doing different things: 30 second intervals all the way to 15 minutes, at different intensities, with different recovery times. What kind of intervals should I do? I have a heart rate monitor but no power meter. Thanks!

lanierb said:
I'm looking for advice on how to do interval training. I've been cycling recreationally for many years but only using it for training for the past few years. I want to increase my speed (say, on a 10 or 15 mile moderately hilly time trial) and I've been told that the best way to do that is interval training. The thing is, everywhere I look they suggest doing different things: 30 second intervals all the way to 15 minutes, at different intensities, with different recovery times. What kind of intervals should I do? I have a heart rate monitor but no power meter. Thanks!

anything under around 3 to 4 minutes won't be much use for your goals. additionally, rather than just doing some intervals randomly interspersed into your training, it'd be a good idea to look at your training as a whole, and looking to include a variety of endurance training intensities.

please feel free to contact me [email protected] if you're interested in coaching or some other help.

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
anything under around 3 to 4 minutes won't be much use for your goals. additionally, rather than just doing some intervals randomly interspersed into your training, it'd be a good idea to look at your training as a whole, and looking to include a variety of endurance training intensities.

please feel free to contact me [email protected] if you're interested in coaching or some other help.

ric
By chosing a Polar cycling unit with interval training will also compliment your training. However when doing interval training make sure that you do at least a 10min warm-up and cool-down which will add to the over-all base training.